Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Essential questions.

panthur

I have a couple of essential questions. I appreciate the information might not be available yet, but I can't wait to find out, lol.

1. Has the USB implementation changed ? - The showstopper.

This was a huge flaw on the Pod HD. Big driver issues early on which damaged hearing and headphones as the thing gave out a full volume squeal regardless of settings. Line 6 blamed this on the host environment for a long time. Then it turns out that the USB connector crumbles to pieces if you breathe heavily on it, again Line 6 deny. If the USB hasn't been fixed, I'm not buying one. Fool me once...

2. Can a foot-switch be assigned to an individual parameter ?.

To me this seems like an addition that would add soooo much value that I'm disappointed it never came to POD, especially when DSP time is limited. The flexibility this adds to the floorboard is immense, especially considering the foot-switches can now be momentary.

If the answer to both of these is yes, then take my money !  :)

1. It seems to me that Line 6 did acknowledge the whole issue with volume spikes and issue firmware update(s) to deal with it. But, yes, the USB implementation is different on the Helix in the fact that it's 8-in and 8-out. As far as the USB connector, I don't really have any idea if it's a different part or not. It seems fine to me.

2. Yes, you can use switches as controllers. You can assign up to 8 parameters to each footswitch in addition to assigning effects or amp blocks to be turned on an off by switches.

2. Yes, you can use switches as controllers. You can assign up to 8 parameters to each footswitch in addition to assigning effects or amp blocks to be turned on an off by switches.

Not quite. It's 8 total assignments per switch, which is shared across blocks, parameters, and Command Center messages.

Not quite. It's 8 total assignments per switch, which is shared across blocks, parameters, and Command Center messages.

OK, that makes sense. At least I got the 8 part correct... ;)

what makes me laff is how, now all of a sudden the USB port connector is supposed to be weak ?? sorry thats just rubbish in my books.

my HD500 is best part of 5 years old and the USB connector has not broken due to being a weak made part ?

i'll go as far to say its down to how you look after or even handle your product there is only 2 ways i can see that would break the USB port on the HD500 and thats by forcing the cable in while wiggling around, but why would i do that ?or by catching the usb cable and ripping it out at an angle.

other than that, the port is a standard design part, used in thousands of products also if this was a true fact there would be piles of HD500's along with thousands of other products with this defect concerning the USB port that the OP stated .. i call BullSh!t ..

too heavey handed is the only reason i can find that would break the USB port on the HD500 as well as it would on any device.

but after saying that maybe people used a cheap cable that was not a good fit so if the cable was pulled at an angle, say when the device is move,  this could snap the the center part of the hd500's USB port same as it would any other device.

• Downvote 1

what makes me laff is how, now all of a sudden the USB port connector is supposed to be weak ?? sorry thats just rubbish in my books.

my HD500 is best part of 5 years old and the USB connector has not broken due to being a weak made part ?

i'll go as far to say its down to how you look after or even handle your product there is only 2 ways i can see that would break the USB port on the HD500 and thats by forcing the cable in while wiggling around, but why would i do that ?or by catching the usb cable and ripping it out at an angle.

other than that, the port is a standard design part, used in thousands of products also if this was a true fact there would be piles of HD500's along with thousands of other products with this defect concerning the USB port that the OP stated .. i call BullSh!t ..

too heavey handed is the only reason i can find that would break the USB port on the HD500 as well as it would on any device.

but after saying that maybe people used a cheap cable that was not a good fit so if the cable was pulled at an angle, say when the device is move,  this could snap the the center part of the hd500's USB port same as it would any other device.

While I can't speak for the HD series, I will say that for a fact the Pod Studio GX1 has a very crappy usb port.  But then again that is basically the cheapest physcial product that line 6 sales.

Great news about the foot-switch control !.  :)

Debating the old Pod HD is kind of off topic as it's widely covered already, my point is that the Helix is, according to Line, 'Tour-grade'

Tour grade means that it must withstand advancing punters when things get a bit too exciting. The occasional stage invasion means that the cables may well get stepped on. Considering that a big feature is the 8-in/8-out interface, a single point of failure like a cheap USB connector would be a horrendous oversight, and it does look very similar to the one used on POD. I can understand it on the POD's because they're built to meet a price point where every penny counts, but the Helix isn't being marketed as such.

Tour grade means using something like this....

high-retention-usb-adapter.jpg

• Upvote 1

Helix is, according to Line, 'Helix is Tour-grade'

IMHO  - After these mods:

Locking IEC AC Inlet 

maxresdefault.jpg

( and a X3 Live style protective bar for the LCD/Knobs)  

and 

Neutrik USB Connectors

would I classify the Helix as "Tour Grade"

http://www.neutrik.com/en/multimedia/multimedia-connectors/usb/

Product Guide - Section Data Connectors

http://www.neutrik.com/en/multimedia/usb/nausb-w

http://www.neutrik.com/en/multimedia/usb/nkusb

nausb-w.jpg?v=2

Need to hang out at the POD HD Forum more

or play gigs where Dancers jump on stage and walk on your gear

POD HD500X Dead?

http://line6.com/support/topic/14558-hd500x-dead/?hl=usb

M

Check your usb port. The center plastic square broke in mine and caused it to short out.

USB port - mine broke, too. In exactly the same way.

To be honest, the Neutrik USB connector or something similar is what should be on a 'tour-grade' piece of equipment. If a Neutrik type connector it's good enough for the Variax connector, why not elsewhere ?. Its a shame, but at least they've addressed it some way. 

or simple answer is dont stand on it or get yourself so excited you tap dance the crap out of the USB cable ....

im guessing this is more of a problem for our american cousins as they are more excitable than us stiff upper lip brits lol (sorry just joke'n)

im mean if ever a white man didnt have rhythm while dancing the english are the kings, well in our defence we do have morris dancing.

I used it to record the performance on my laptop. Great for listening back and improving, especially on the vocals. Alternatively you can split the chain to record a dry signal which can be 're-amped' after the show. The Helix is 8-in / 8-out I think, which would probably have a whole lot more potential uses  :)