Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

finding patches

tylerhen

I don't wanna rain on your parade, but it wouldn't matter if you found a master reservoir of patches crafted by the Almighty himself...a drag-and-drop tone solution does not exist for these things. Believe me...I tried. All I got for my efforts was a headache and a lot of lost time. Just too many variables to expect to find anything useful...it'll never sound the same on your end as it did to the guy who swears it's the best Slash tone ever.

I learned very early on that time is far better spent starting from scratch. You will get the sounds you want quicker in the long run if you do it yourself...not to mention really gaining an understanding of how the unit behaves.

I understand, but I found some really cool tones yesterday by just searching.  Some of the slash ones I made some minor tweaks, but I didn't have to do that whole thing from scratch, which was a relief considering how complex they were for my level of experience.  

A lot of the ones on customtone gave a "page not found" when I clicked the download button.  Not sure why.  Probably 25% of the ones I tried to download.   

I do not run into the problem of CT not working the way others say. But, I do find that some of the tones are fairly useless. 

Others are good starting points for editing. And a couple are fairly decent. 

But I say the same things about some of the paid files. Like Greg DeLune (sorry for the spelling). I find them to be decent for the purpose they were made (like a specific part of a specific song), but I don't find them to be exact. I find them to be generic - something I could do on my own if I cared. But I know some of you swear by him. So, it's a perfect example of what was just said --- it will never sound the same to you on your rig as it does to the creator.

I am not even a fan of what Meambooboo (sorry for the spelling) has available. It is a great book to read, but I just don't jive with the files. 

ANYWHO...

There are places all around that offer files. Sometimes you can find a setlist or bundle, but usually it is individual files.

I agree with the previous poster -- make your own.  

i had made a rar of most tones in ct up until mid 2014, 1.78mb:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7hna9w4ujnkab86/2000h5e.zip

so many sounds, so little flash memory...

i cant agree with the assessment of customtone quality.

if on studio-direct, most are ok, many usable and many great.

It has nothing to do with quality...or even usability. It's a question of whether or not a patch will sound anywhere close to what the creator was trying to achieve when I get my hands on it...with a different guitar, different amp (or headphones), played in a different room, etc etc. The list of variables is endless. The result is that it's difficult to search for anything specific, because the end result is wildly unpredictable. I've downloaded hundreds of patches...I actually use a grand total of one that I found. It just isn't worth the investment in time.  Any given patch on Customtone may be usable, spectacular even... in the hands, and on the rig of whomever created it. But after my 783rd attempt  to use what someone swore was a great "Eric Johnson Lead" tone (just an example...) that turned out to sound like Green Day because it wasn't my guitar, my amp, etc etc...I gave up and did it myself. One could get lucky and accidentally stumble upon tonal nirvana, I suppose...but I just don't have the time, ymmv.

Dude, I love all of those Eric Johnson tones. 

You have no idea, when I am on stage, how often someone yells out "play me some Eric Johnson, WOOO". 

Or at the end of the night when I do by best Ronnie Van Zandt impersonation and say "what song is it you wanna hear" and they all yell out in unison "Cliffs of Dover" 

Dude, I love all of those Eric Johnson tones. 

You have no idea, when I am on stage, how often someone yells out "play me some Eric Johnson, WOOO". 

Or at the end of the night when I do by best Ronnie Van Zandt impersonation and say "what song is it you wanna hear" and they all yell out in unison "Cliffs of Dover" 

Not really sure what you're driving at. Like I said...it was just an example. If you prefer, I can change it to George Benson, Yngwie, or Jake E. Lee. I could have used any name to illustrate the same point.

Don't you have Google? 

guitarmasterclass.net

masterguitaracademy.com

thechurchcollective.com

jasonmetal.com 

Queensryche. Lincoln Brewster. Paul Hindmarsh. Joost Vergoossen. Peter Hanmer. Meambobbo. The British guys that do all of the product reviews. All these guys post files to their private sites.  

A lot of guys on youtube will post links to the files they used. Sometimes you have to read the description or the comments, but they are often there. 

Will you like any of them? 

I can't answer that. 

But in addition to the thousands of files available on Customtone plenty of files are floating around the web for free.