Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best small practice amp for a HD500X?

Antman74

Hi

What Amp would be the best small practice....home/bedroom amp for a HD500X?. Would an amp with an FX loop be needed, as smaller amps tend not to have an FX loop?. (Would I be ok to go straight from Guitar to POD....POD to input on AMP?)

Looking at Amps similar to Marshall MG15, Blackstar HT1R....FLY3...etc....nothing too big but would take a 500X

Cheers

Ant

asked and answered many tines before... Guitar amps are not designed for modelers.  Find a decent powered speaker like the Alto TS110a.  You will be very happy with it and it is loud enough to play out when you want...  About $200...

Hi

We don't have alot of gear over here...or the same stuff you guys have access to. My idea is to have a small home amp that I can use some pedals on....but also have the option to plug my POD in when I want other people to hear it (not at a gig). I thinkthe Fly3 can be used as a PC speaker(s) so would these be ok (normal Fly3 with ext cabinet?).

but I am thinking that something like *these* or *these* will be able to run in stereo, and would work better if you had your mp3 player plugged into your pod as well. 

Whereas, a guitar amp, like the Fly3, doesn't sound as good with sounds that are outside of a guitar range like you would find from an mp3 player. 

Ahhh I see. We certainly have a wide choice of PC speakers over here.

With a 3.5mm jack where would I plug these into on the POD?....andwhat wattage (speakers) would you recommend?.

Thanks for the info....just trying to get the best sound out the POD.

You do not want the ones with the usb jack. And probably not the ones that are miniature surround sound units with separate sub-woofers. 

3.5mm is the way to go. I plug into the headphone jack with a 3.5mm-to-1/4" stereo adapter. 

Watts is up to you. 

I mean, if you want, you could spend $100 on the Bose. But once you start spending that kind of money, it almost defeats the purpose of keeping it cheap and small. 

The good news is - they have volume knobs. If it is too loud - turn it down. 

I am sure you (or a mate) have a set of speakers hooked up to a computer somewhere. Stream some music through them to see how loud they get. Should be plenty more volume than you need. 

Hi

I tried plugging in some really old cheap PC speakers and was actually quite impressed. The sound was ok and each patch I have created wasn't affected in any way.

The mission now is to get a better grade set of speakers which will ensure a wider range of sound is heard...i.e more bass than what I am currently hearing.

All in all a great piece of advice from pianoguyy so thank you for a) saving me money from buying a new amp and b) ensuring I'm hearing what I am used to hearing when I play through my headphones.

I guess it was obvious as I bought the 500X because of the array of sounds....amps and effects available..now it's not going to get distorted by playing through another amp.

For $20 +/-, it's a no brainer. They work on computers. They work for mp3 players. Why wouldn't they work for everything else. 

Obviously, they won't be as good (or loud) as a $1300 FRFR, but for $20 it is an excellent option.