Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

Why don't you just use the 1/4" outs for your guitar and the XLR outs for your vocals (or vice versa)? You can already set the global EQ so it can apply to either the 1/4" outs or XLRs or both.

Because I prefer not to drag a DI box around... I don't want to get into discussing whether bringing a DI box to every gig is a big hassle or not or whether a soundguy is expected to have one (or many) or not (as in the phantom power on XLR outs issue). Let's just say it would be nice if Helix allowed this. It's certainly not a problem DSP-wise, just a matter of allowing this in the global configuration...

New idea:  Allow browsing/selecting from the effect-list, amp-list etc by footswitch

Foot Edit mode is great for tweaking a block. But theres no way to flip through the selection of amps or effects etc using the foot stomp switches - that has to be done with the joystick alone. 

Some means of being able to flip between effects by foot to audition them would be useful and save on the back too !

Why Heck ! being able to also set up at the least a "basic" preset from scratch block-order etc ( say just a linear one - no branches ) would be really cool too.  Think how impressive it would be to have a YouTube video demonstrating someone at L6 create and set up an entire simple patch - entirely by foot !

As Picard would say.....  "Make it so" :)

On the HELIX Looper: add a way to trim time the beginning of when the first loop started being recorded

Idea Action

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Looper-a-way-to-trim-time-from-when-first-loop-was-recorded/805696-23508?submitted=1

When you're recording your first loop do you always have to start playing the first note of the loop ( beat 1 ) the moment you hit the RECORD stomp pedal.

It would be great to have a way to stop go back after having recorded the first "pass-through" and - while the loop is still playing - change the point at which the first loop starts - in other words cutting out- say the first blank second of silence that was recorded ?

This would reduce some of the nerves and errors one goes through when having to hit the RECORD stomp pedal at the same time as playing the first note of the first bar of the first loop. 

there could also be a crude magnitude-normalised-wave-readout waveform-type display of the recorded segment on the display [ like in Ableton or Push 2 or MPC ] by which we could then visually trim off the beginning silent bit etc... 

Having that colour display ............ might as well use it.

• Upvote 1

On the HELIX Looper: add a way to trim time the beginning of when the first loop started being recorded Idea Action

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Looper-a-way-to-trim-time-from-when-first-loop-was-recorded/805696-23508?submitted=1

When you're recording your first loop do you always have to start playing the first note of the loop ( beat 1 ) the moment you hit the RECORD stomp pedal.

It would be great to have a way to stop go back after having recorded the first "pass-through" and - while the loop is still playing - change the point at which the first loop starts - in other words cutting out- say the first blank second of silence that was recorded ?

This would reduce some of the nerves and errors one goes through when having to hit the RECORD stomp pedal at the same time as playing the first note of the first bar of the first loop.

there could also be a crude magnitude-normalised-wave-readout waveform-type display of the recorded segment on the display [ like in Ableton or Push 2 or MPC ] by which we could then visually trim off the beginning silent bit etc...

Having that colour display ............ might as well use it.

Wouldn't it be better if, after pressing the record button the system didn't actually start recording until it registers the first note. Much simpler than having to edit, and it wouldn't interrupt the flow of overdubbing etc.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't it be better if, after pressing the record button the system didn't actually start recording until it registers the first note. Much simpler than having to edit, and it wouldn't interrupt the flow of overdubbing etc.

agreed. its perfectly doable technically.  i suppose for certain patches it might need a noise gate to detect but current technology can register and record the first transient and what follows very accurately.  ( zPlane for example - as used in Ableton/Cubase etc ) 

I used to have the Digitech JamMan, and it had this sort of function. I actually found it much harder to keep in time this way than simply counting and stepping on the switch on the downbeat of the 1. Not saying it's not worth having for some situations, but I think the thing with any looper is that you just have to get your timing down. I've seen plenty of people do some amazing things with really simple loopers - the good ol' DL4 probably still being the most ubiquitous.

Please put an RTA (Real Time Analyzer) screen on the Helix. Ideally it would come up behind/with the EQ screens. This is one of the best and easiest to use tools, particularly in combination with a parametric EQ, for dialing in a great sound. Get rid of the fizz or icepick, find the boom. An RTA would be a fantastic addition to the Helix.

Please vote for it here:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/RTA-Real-Time-Analyzer-screen-for-the-Helix/805922-23508

• Upvote 1

Ability to Tag and filter ( search on ) Helix presets with a Keyword

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Ability-to-Tag-and-filter-search-on-presets-with-a-Keyword/806003-23508

Allow Helix presets to be given several tags of one's own choosing - and then be able to filter on the tag when skipping through presets to find an ideal tone for something. 

Being also able to SAVE and RECAL such search criteria by a common name - say "Danny's Rock Lead" could save time for common searches. 

This all inside  HELIX of course, NOT CustomTone - although of course the tags provided in those tones could be used by default.

For example some suitable patches could be categorised  "Tagged" with  Rhythm, Lead, Clean, Overdriven, Distortion, HM, Country, Jazz in any combination of these. 

Or maybe have three separate categories: 

Genre
     Amp Model
     Lead/Rhythm/Pad
     Clean/OD/Distortion

Also it would be useful if one could filter by the amp model too. 

So one could apply Country, Rhythm and Essex A30 to get all presets suitable. 
  • Upvote 2

Ability to Tag and filter ( search on ) Helix presets with a Keyword

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Ability-to-Tag-and-filter-search-on-presets-with-a-Keyword/806003-23508

Allow Helix presets to be given several tags of one's own choosing - and then be able to filter on the tag when skipping through presets to find an ideal tone for something. 

Being also able to SAVE and RECAL such search criteria by a common name - say "Danny's Rock Lead" could save time for common searches. 

This all inside  HELIX of course, NOT CustomTone - although of course the tags provided in those tones could be used by default.

For example some suitable patches could be categorised  "Tagged" with  Rhythm, Lead, Clean, Overdriven, Distortion, HM, Country, Jazz in any combination of these. 

Or maybe have three separate categories: 

Genre
     Amp Model
     Lead/Rhythm/Pad
     Clean/OD/Distortion

Also it would be useful if one could filter by the amp model too. 

So one could apply Country, Rhythm and Essex A30 to get all presets suitable. 

While I like the idea I really think that the focus in the helix itself should concentrate on Modelling and sounds. All that fancy stuff eats up DSP and storage.

But this would be a good Idea to have on the helix editor only - not in the device itself.

Just my 2cents

• Upvote 2

While I like the idea I really think that the focus in the helix itself should concentrate on Modelling and sounds. All that fancy stuff eats up DSP and storage.

But this would be a good Idea to have on the helix editor only - not in the device itself.

Just my 2cents

Actually this kind of functionality wouldn't use up any DSP - since the task I am discussing is a general CPU type task and would by done one one of their 
 Dual Core Micro Controllers. As an embedded and PC programmer I can tell you its a very lightweight task. 

Actually this kind of functionality wouldn't use up any DSP - since the task I am discussing is a general CPU type task and would by done one one of their Dual Core Micro Controllers. As an embedded and PC programmer I can tell you its a very lightweight task.

What's more, DSP/sound design and MCU/feature development don't overlap all that much, as we have engineers working in both camps. Everyone should feel free to request away.

• Upvote 1

What's more, DSP/sound design and MCU/feature development don't overlap all that much, as we have engineers working in both camps. Everyone should feel free to request away.

Thanks for the clarification DI.  

Out of curiosity - roughly how much FLASH ( SSD style ) ROM is there altogether for the CPU firmware ? is it on separate chips or just what comes inside the MCU chips themselves ?    ( This clearly tells us just how much scope for future FW enhancements there is .. ) 

These days programmers on computers, smartphones get to be able to write megabyte-size apps - with no worry.  But as an ex-assembly programmer - if one is careful its amazing  ( and salutary ) as to how much one can cram into tens or hundreds of K ..... if coded carefully !

For the sake of the sanity of your engineers i'm rather hoping they get to code primarily on C or ideally C++ - than in assembler - which is grim and tedious...... and inefficient....  but the argument is  often made that C/C++ takes up too much space for embedded stuff. 

Dunno.  Thankfully i'm well out of that game now..

Wish to fix the master volume of the Rectifier. Wish to fix the FAC of the orange. Wish to fix the presence on uberschal. Wish to add hum on electric...

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Amps-that-need-to-be-fixed-for-authenticity/806583-23508?submitted=1

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-hum-on-L6-electric/806584-23508?submitted=1 

Helix gain block with separate left and right gain controls

It would be nice to have separate gain controls (left and right) for the stereo gain block.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-gain-block-with-separate-left-and-right-gain-controls/806609-23508?submitted=1

Not quite the same as gain block, but this could be achieved right now with some of the blocks that have separate level, and/or panning/width controls such as the multtap 4 and 6 delays or the dual pitch.

Not quite the same as gain block, but this could be achieved right now with some of the blocks that have separate level, and/or panning/width controls such as the multtap 4 and 6 delays or the dual pitch.

I tried the delays and the dual pitch, but I could not see a setting where I can set a different volume for the right and left channel.

My workaround now is a pan and gain block together. 

changing expression pedal control settings should be audible directly without moving pedal

When I set the expression pedal settings for a control , I have to move the pedal to hear the programmed setting.

At the HD500X I hear the modification directly during setting the values with the knob.

e.g. I use the expression pedal for changing a delay block mix parameter.

This would ease the workflow.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/changing-expression-pedal-control-settings-should-be-audible/806846-23508?submitted=1

I tried the delays and the dual pitch, but I could not see a setting where I can set a different volume for the right and left channel.

My workaround now is a pan and gain block together. 

Using a dual pitch, select the stereo one, and make all the settings neutral except for V1Level, V2Level, V1Pan, V2Pan. A dual pitch, when used like this is also good for simulating a double tracked, wide, djenty tone.

But your way is better, using a pan and gain block. It's simpler and takes less dsp.

Using a dual pitch, select the stereo one, and make all the settings neutral except for V1Level, V2Level, V1Pan, V2Pan. A dual pitch, when used like this is also good for simulating a double tracked, wide, djenty tone.

But your way is better, using a pan and gain block. It's simpler and takes less dsp.

Thank you, I will try it

I have just added a new Idea regarding the import and Export of Impulse Responses:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Impulse-Responses-IR-Import-Export-automatic-Number/806973-23508

Please vote if you like the idea - thanks!

Here's the Idea:

Import and export Impulse Responses is not very convinient at this point. So I thought of a way that could make this process a little more user friendly without changing the whole workflow.

1) First off all the impulse responses internal should be saved with the whole name. Even if it is cut on the display, the whole name should be save internal (even only in editor or the device itself), so that on export the whole name is there again.

2) If a Impulse response is imported the internal name should be extended with the slot number as prefix. Again this would not be visible.

So the internal name for a IR on slot number 1 would be like:
001-Original-cab-name

Visible name on display would be:
Original-cab-name

If now the IRs are exported for a backup all IRs would be sorted autmatically as they are prefixed with the slot number.

On the import the editor would recognize on which slot the IR was by reading out the first letters (001-) and import it in the right slot. This would even work if we have empty slots between the IRs because the program recognize the number on import.

Another advantage would be that we could easily prepare our IRs in a folder and sort them by simple adding the slot number to the name as a prefix. So on Import the IRs are imported in the slot we like as we have added the prefix.

Hope it is understandable - Thanks for voting

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't it be sweet if you could change the input impedance on the guitar input per patch instead of globally?

I think it would be a great addition to the input block screen.

Vote it up!

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Make-Input-Impedance-a-per-patch-variable/807048-23508?submitted=1

I have posted an Idea a long time ago for this:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Guitar-in-Impedance-per-patch/800290-23508

Unfortunatley double posts reduce the number of votes for any of them

• Upvote 1

Parameter toogle with expression toe switch should be possible

With normal footswitches it is possible to program a parameter toogle. e.g. toggle the gain block between 0dB and 6dB with one footswitch.

But it is not possible now with the internal expression toe switch.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Parameter-toogle-with-expression-toe-switch-should-be-possible/807471-23508

I would like to see a small desktop unit (2 inches thick front side, and 4 inches thick on the back side) iPad size, with a touch screen, where you can use the touch screen in several modes, like normal editing mode, and "stomp box" mode, where you can touch effects on and off.

I don;t seem to be able to register on http://line6.ideascale.comno verifications email is sent to me, also tried Facebook login and that didm't work.

So I guess my main improvement request would be "Enable me to register so I can add  a request"!

Edit: ok now I have the verification email (should have waited longer) but now when trying to add a password I get "|Your profile is sandboxed. Your profile will be sandboxed if you already have an IdeaScale account and you log-in with a 3rd party authentication provider who you have not marked as trusted in your profile. unlock your profile"

To "unlock your profile" I need to enter my password, bit of a catch 22!

Edited by BobTheDog

COPY AS ALIAS feature for patches

=============================

[ I'd like to see patches that act in a kind of Master / Slave assignment like a typical Alias-functionality for files and GUI desktops on Macs and windows.

This would allow us to have the same preset linked to in several different places in different set-lists - and when a user edits the alias preset and presses SAVE - a dialog would pop up asking the user if they want to save to the "MASTER" or if they want to make the ALIAS into an ordinary patch - a modified copy - from then on no longer linked to the "MASTER or "template" patch ]

• Thanks 1

Release a Line 6 Helix developer kit and allow third party developers, other manufacturers, and maybe users to develop models and content on the Helix platform.

Opening up the IR blocks and offering such flexible and accessible USB I/O and MIDI implementation was a big step by Line 6. It's pretty easy integrate it with computer and app based software and content, but it might be good to allow third-party content to be developed specifically for the Helix.

Update after posting:

If Helix were to implement tone matching feature, similar to Kemper, Fractal, and Positive Grid BIAS, with detailed EQ and "special sauce" knob and switch matching, this could be "dev kit" enough.

From a previous post...

AXE FX style tone matching request submitted to IdeaScale...   Vote it up!!!    :D

http://line6.ideasca...508?submitted=1

Release a Line 6 Helix developer kit and allow third party developers, other manufacturers, and maybe users to develop models and content on the Helix platform.

Opening up the IR blocks and offering such flexible and accessible USB I/O and MIDI implementation was a big step by Line 6. It's pretty easy integrate it with computer and app based software and content, but it might be good to allow third-party content to be developed specifically for the Helix.

With a dev kit available, Line 6 could collaborate with amp manufacturers, both mainstream and boutique, and develop manufacturer-certified amp and effects models, similar to Amplitube (Mesa, Orange, Soldano, Fender, Marshall, Engl, Dr. Z, Zvex, Wampler, etc.) but on the higher quality, more stable Helix hardware platform.

I would think these models would be add-ons and royalties from these models could go back to the manufacturers themselves, likely similar to Amplitube, and encourage physical/digital collaboration and an overall product greater than each of its parts.  And to be honest, I would get a bit of "feel-good" about giving a little back to the people that really developed the prized tones in the first place.  

Synergy Amps, with Bruce Egnater, is taking a similar approach on the hardware side using a new spin on the old Egnater/Randall modular tube system.  But this platform will be limited in flexibility and customization by the physical domain.

Amplitube did a good job developing and implementing the models, but the limitations and stability of computers/ipads apply.  It's hard to get "zero" latency monitoring and feel out of Amplitube or any other computer/tablet software-based solution.  Driver and settings tweaking, clicking and popping, etc. suck the enjoyment out sometimes.

Amp and tone matching is great, but not everyone has the resources and expertise of Line 6 and the amp manufacturers themselves.  I believe much higher quality and accuracy could be achieved by Line 6 and the original amp manufacturers, that I and maybe others might be willing to pay for.

A user customizable editor utility could be very useful.  This could also lighten up Line 6's workload keeping up a single environment with user feature requests. 

Users could drag & drop and resize knobs, sliders, text fields, etc. and map them to either Helix controls or MIDI, group them to suit their needs and accessibility requirements.  There could still be templates based on amp and effect type.

A person may not use the same editor configuration scheme for all scenarios.  Users could create a custom dashboard for whatever application (live, recording, deep editing, etc.).  

Maybe the control schemes/scenes could be assignable to change with a Helix preset or footswitch.    

Users could post and swap schemes for different amps, pedals, pedal boards, etc.  Users could also select, create, and share custom skins.    

I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks on the Line 6 store or other app stores for this if needed as long as the Helix still comes with a default generically configured free editor.

This is already done for computer games and general MIDI control.  

Hexler Touch OSC is a pretty nice example too ($4.99)

http://hexler.net/software/touchosc

The GestureWorks game mapper on Steam is a decent concept example ($1.99).

http://store.steampo...com/app/296610/

Voted for both.

The relative mode is a good idea I was thinking about that myself a couple of times