Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

I agree steve. The only problem is getting the expression pedal the same, if you hav any parameters associated with it.

I figured if you have the exp pedal in full toe down (or full heel down, or at halfway or whatever) that the Helix could still recognize that that's where it was last saved? Maybe I'm missing something, I'm probably not tech-savvy enough to be commenting on this forum, lol.

Line 6 Idea Scale Posted

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-Variax-Model-Pack-and-13-pin-MIDI-compatibility/817048-23508

Helix Variax Model Pack and 13 pin MIDI compatibility

Develop Helix Variax Model Pack(s) for non-Variax guitar/bass owners.

Develop some sort of 13-pin MIDI compatibility (13 pin to VDI adapter?) for use with Graph Tech Ghost Piezo systems, and maybe Roland GK systems.

Thanks mate.

Tremonti Power Wah would be my preference but either would be great ;)

I searched IdeaScale first, and didn't see one.

So I created an IdeaScale of HX reverb models.

This is the link.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/NEW-HX-Reverb-models-added-to-Helix-line/818580-23508?submitted=1

As a studio musician this would be a really big plus for me.

SEND Block to more places - e.g. 1/4in for easy IR bypass

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/SEND-Block-to-more-places-e-g-1-4in-for-easy-IR-bypass/818624-23508

(I posted this idea yesterday and it's in review already!  DI voted for it :))

Allow the SEND and RETURN blocks to connect to more of the Helix inputs and outputs. 

SEND should also go to 1/4in, XLR, USB, Digital.

RETURN should also return from AUXin, Variax, Digital, USB

This would make Helix's routing even more powerful.

Scenario 1:

A simple way to set up 1/4 in jacks to amp on stage and XLRs with Cab/IR to FOH. You could leave the Helix path output set to "XLR" and then just add a send block before your IR or Cab block that was set to send to 1/4in jack outputs. Simples!

One reason for doing this is that you don't have to use a whole Path line just simply to do Scenario1. Meaning the other Paths can be used for parallel fx routing or maybe processing a mic as well.

Of course to save a path you could connect your amp via a Send socket that you can already select with a Send block - but then you lose the ability to control the stage amp level with the Helix volume knob. 

Scenario2:

Set up a USB device in a Send / Return loop easily. Think of the possibilities.......

I wonder how much different will this sound than simply using an amp block and a cab block separately the way it is now?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I just wonder how much different it will really sound.

SEND Block to more places - e.g. 1/4in for easy IR bypass

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/SEND-Block-to-more-places-e-g-1-4in-for-easy-IR-bypass/818624-23508

(I posted this idea yesterday and it's in review already!  DI voted for it :))

Scenario2:

Set up a USB device in a Send / Return loop easily. Think of the possibilities.......

Hi ricksteruk,

Interesting concept, but I would really be impressed if Line 6 could get the USB audio MIDI to function correctly on OSX. Think about those the possibilities...

Wonder if DI will vote for that?

He shifted my Ideascale request for the dedicated Mac USB driver from "in review" to "in progress" in a few short hours. Wow, joy and happiness. Trouble is - as far as I'm concerned, it was a major fail. Didn't work! And we have had no more notice of progress or intentions to rectify the issues via this forum.

So, cool idea - just don't hold your breath!

Line 6 need to get the base functions up to speed before drifting off on other pipe dreams.

Just my opinion, but a fix for the USB problem - "This would make Helix's routing even more powerful"!

That's a bummer about the MIDI.  I've not bothered to connect my Helix to my mac much yet - just did the firmware update when I first got it and then a couple of quick test USB recordings on Logic (which worked fine with my Core Audio).  I am still running 10.9.5 so maybe that's why I've not had problems yet.

I will want to use MIDI at some point - I'm thinking of running a complex Mobius looper set up using my Helix as the main computer interface with a couple of other MIDI controllers for other band members - so I hope it does get sorted!

I wonder how much different will this sound than simply using an amp block and a cab block separately the way it is now?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I just wonder how much different it will really sound.

I also submitted an idea where, within the amp block, you could swap preamp and powe amp types. I wonder if this will save on DSP use. Was it really necessary to downvote it? I mean, couldn't you just not vote for it?

Can I just give a big  BIGUP to this  suggestion by another user -  namely adding the ability to call up, create and save presets - for each effect !

Presets per effect

Each effect (such as eq, overdrives, delays, compression, ect) within the menu at the bottom having the ability to pull up a preset for that specific effect, for example:

You have a 10 band eq you use on every patch, but every time you make a new patch you have to go back and forth adjusting and comparing to get it to match..... Really slows things down from the usual quick paced helix editing :)

Same could apply to anything, say a go to delay setting, or just about anything else... Helix was made to edit on the fly, and this would help that vision come to fruition!

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Presets-per-effect/799692-23508

• Upvote 1

Latest IDEASCALE suggestion: A cheaper, basic "HELIX Control" type floor controller to extend the HELIX. This would - in contrast to the HELIX Controller for the Rack - NOT include the following:

* LCD panel at the top ( not needed since we have what we need in the HELIX itself )
* the 4 expression pedal and toe switch sockets
* the HOST socket

BUT would also include the following:

* an extra USB type A socket - to connect to the main HELIX, as well as the existing type B ( to allow iPads or other devices to be connected and routed to to the HELIX

* DIN MIDI out and in sockets to control other MIDI based devices

So up-vote this.... if you're pedal-greedy. 

Finally - you may say ( about this ) i'm a dreamer .......
.......... but i'm not the only one ...

(ok ok ok i'll get my coat )

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/A-cheaper-basic-HELIX-Control-type-floor-controller-extender/820103-23508

Latest IDEASCALE suggestion: A cheaper, basic "HELIX Control" type floor controller to extend the HELIX. This would - in contrast to the HELIX Controller for the Rack - NOT include the following:

* LCD panel at the top ( not needed since we have what we need in the HELIX itself )

* the 4 expression pedal and toe switch sockets

* the HOST socket

BUT would also include the following:

* an extra USB type A socket - to connect to the main HELIX, as well as the existing type B ( to allow iPads or other devices to be connected and routed to to the HELIX

* DIN MIDI out and in sockets to control other MIDI based devices

So up-vote this.... if you're pedal-greedy. 

Finally - you may say ( about this ) i'm a dreamer .......

.......... but i'm not the only one ...

(ok ok ok i'll get my coat )

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/A-cheaper-basic-HELIX-Control-type-floor-controller-extender/820103-23508

Wow, I REALLY don't think so.

All due respect... You're asking them to put WAY more in there than you're asking them to take out. Adding MIDI and USB functionality like that? You think that would somehow cost less?

And... I doubt that very many are going to want the EXPs removed... and the display not being there? makes little sense to most rack users live who don't have the rack right in front of them but do have Control.

It wouldn't cost any less because of the small quantities of people who would buy it.

Wow, I REALLY don't think so.

All due respect... You're asking them to put WAY more in there than you're asking them to take out. Adding MIDI and USB functionality like that? You think that would somehow cost less?

And... I doubt that very many are going to want the EXPs removed... and the display not being there? makes little sense to most rack users live who don't have the rack right in front of them but do have Control.

It wouldn't cost any less because of the small quantities of people who would buy it.

Good point about the MIDI DIN - and have removed that new feature from the FR for an "extender" - but the EXP's  those can go in my view since we would still have 2 EXP's on the main HELIX unit. 

Now this does in fact beg the question of whether there is an argument for another - more expensive than HELIX Control  type product - one useable by non-HELIX users as well as HELIX users that includes MIDI DIN and 4 EXPs etc... and   there is a case for that too - since when I surveyed the other MIDI floor controllers out there which have scribble strips - ( FAMC, RJM for example ) those currently go for around $1000 at least and more !  

so if L6 were to enter that market  too and sell for say $500 then L6 would be making a product far cheaper than the competition and would gain a new market much bigger than just HELIX owners. 

And having some kind of more intelligent link to Ableton etc for example would be amazing ( triggering loops, scenes etc ) where the scribble strips automatically change according to track names, clip names in Ableton etc - would be uber cool. 

so if L6 were to enter that market  too and sell for say $500 then L6 would be making a product far cheaper than the competition and would gain a new market much bigger than just HELIX owners. 

I suspect it would be way more than 500. They'd have to include features broad enough to widen the appeal as much as possible... MIDI controllers like this are a niche market, keeping final cost to the customer up... I think it's a GREAT idea. But maybe not in L6's wheelhouse.

If they ended up making it for 700 or 800 bucks, I wonder how many would sell...

Please update the Helix so that we can turn on/off effects blocks via MIDI. If that's not possible, please add a "Mix" element to every effect so we can set the mix via a MIDI footswitch. Another option might be to allow for more than 10 Line 6 Footswitch options.

Christian Arnolds excellent  "Loopy HD Control" CustomTone and videos is a great idea. But it now begs for a new feature in the HELIX Editor: today I wanted to use this for another preset I made. So a new ideaScale is called for:

Currently I would have to make a copy of the preset "Loopy HD Control" and go in manually and just set it up from scratch block-by-block to match the parts in my own original patch I want. 

It would be better if in the HELIX Editor I could see AT ONCE BOTH my preferred preset - with the tones how i want it- AND the new "TARGET" preset - and then simply highlight the blocks I want then COPY AND PASTE  this to the new preset containing the MIDI control pedal assignments. 

For this I need to be able to view the details for TWO presets AT ONCE - one being the "SOURCE" preset (read-only) and the other being the TARGET - with only the TARGET being editable, paste-able etc so one can copy anything from the SOURCE into the TARGET patch. 

This would save a lot of time. It would also be very useful in any situation where one wants to combine parts from two different patches into a new one. 

It would be pretty straight forward to model rack tube power amps and preamps. A lot of this stuff is now out of production and is certainly vintage and cool. This would open up some new options for us 90's kids that used to use and love rack gear, and expose the new generation guitarists to it.  No one wants to haul around a 20U road ready rack full of gear anymore, but you could do some cool things and very intuitive mixing, matching and routing with that stuff and there were some unique quality tones in some of it.

Tube Power Amps

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-models-Rack-Power-amps/821070-23508?submitted=1

Marshall EL34 100/100 
Marshall EL84 20/20
Mesa Strategy 500
Mesa Simul 2:90
Mesa Recto 2:100
Mesa fifty/fifty
Mesa 20/20
Mesa Baron
VHT two-ninety-two
VHT two-fifty-two
VHT 2150
Peavey Classic 50/50
Randall RT2/50 (EL34 & 6L6 tubes)
Engl Tube Poweramp E810/20
Engl Tube Poweramp E840/50
Engl Tube Poweramp E850/100
Kittyhawk Tube Power-Amp 2x60
Kittyhawk Tube Power-Amp Stereo 120

Tube Preamps

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-models-Rack-Tube-Preamps/821072-23508?submitted=1

Marshall JMP-1
Mesa Triaxis
Mesa V-Twin
Mesa Formula Pre
Mesa Studio Quad
Bogner Fish
Engl Tube Preamp E530
Engl Preamp E570
Randall RM4 (all modules)
CAE 3+ Tube Preamp
Soldano SP777
VHT Valvulator
Mako Mak 4
ADA MP-1
Peavey Valverb
Peavey Rockmaster
Peavey TG Raxx
Peavey TubeFex
Jackson JX-3
Kittyhawk Quattro
Kittyhawk Testarosa

It would be pretty straight forward to model rack tube power amps and preamps. A lot of this stuff is now out of production and is certainly vintage and cool. This would open up some new options for us 90's kids that used to use and love rack gear, and expose the new generation guitarists to it.  No one wants to haul around a 20U road ready rack full of gear anymore, but you could do some cool things and very intuitive mixing, matching and routing with that stuff and there were some unique quality tones in some of it.

Tube Power Amps

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-models-Rack-Power-amps/821070-23508?submitted=1

Marshall EL34 100/100 
Marshall EL84 20/20
Mesa Strategy 500
Mesa fifty/fifty
Mesa 20/20
Mesa Baron
VHT two-ninety-two
VHT two-fifty-two
VHT 2150
Peavey Classic 50/50

Tube Preamps

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-models-Rack-Tube-Preamps/821072-23508?submitted=1

Marshall JMP-1
Mesa Triaxis
Mesa V-Twin
Mesa Formula Pre
Mesa Studio Quad
Bogner Fish
Engl Tube Preamp E530
Engl Preamp E570
CAE 3+ Tube Preamp
Soldano SP777
VHT Valvulator
Mako Mak 4
ADA MP-1
Peavey Valverb
Peavey Rockmaster
Peavey TG Raxx
Peavey TubeFex
Jackson JX-3

Add Kitty Hawk preamps and poweramps to that list aswell  http://www.kittyhawkamps.com/index.html

Tube Power Amps

Marshall EL34 100/100 
Marshall EL84 20/20
Mesa Strategy 500
Mesa fifty/fifty
Mesa 20/20
Mesa Baron
VHT two-ninety-two
VHT two-fifty-two
VHT 2150
Peavey Classic 50/50
Kittyhawk Tube Power-Amp 2x60
Kittyhawk Tube Power-Amp Stereo 120

Tube Preamps

Marshall JMP-1
Mesa Triaxis
Mesa V-Twin
Mesa Formula Pre
Mesa Studio Quad
Bogner Fish
Engl Tube Preamp E530
Engl Preamp E570
CAE 3+ Tube Preamp
Soldano SP777
VHT Valvulator
Mako Mak 4
ADA MP-1
Peavey Valverb
Peavey Rockmaster
Peavey TG Raxx
Peavey TubeFex
Jackson JX-3
Kittyhawk Quattro
Kittyhawk Testarosa

Voted for both ideas!

Please upvote. Thanks.

Always on effects return for external loopers.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Global-Always-On-Effects-Return/809601-23508

Edit/Compare feature so you can check the changes you're making against the original patch.

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Edit-Compare/820832-23508

• Upvote 1

I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but I submitted to idea scale a possible alternative solution to having scenes in the same preset: being able to link presets and tell Helix no structure change will happen, just settings will be different: this would reduce loading times to 0 and probably allow spillover while possibly avoiding radical changes to the concept and firmware..

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Alternative-to-scenes/821503-23508

Would like to be able to change internal dual speakers/mic without the other automatically switching to something else.
Also the mic switches out to a default everytime you switch the speaker. This obviously is not the correct way for something like this to work.

Thanks!

I added this Idea a few days back, I hope you find it interesting
http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Variax-pickup-selector-to-control-parameters-on-Helix/822783-23508

The info provided in the link explains enough, maybe, but I'll paste the original text here:
"I figure, if the Helix can control the pickup selector... why not the other way round? Seems simple, right?

Now... what would really be cool, is to allow the pickup selector to select five discrete states.

Very, very handy to use with the sync parameter in time related FX, for example"

Thanks for your positive contributions

Auto volume normalisation via global reference patch & scenes

Auto volume normalisation via global reference patch using (upcoming feature?) scenes: 

In principle it ought to be possible for some sort of volume normalisation feature be built into the HELIX firmware so that for example - give us via firmware the means to set up a global REFERENCE patch - with three or four "Scenes". 

one scene the user specifies as "clean", another for boost, one for "lead" or OD - maybe more. The user then ensures that the volume levels for each of these "reference scenes" within this "reference patch" are the volume levels they desire for their typical needs ( in a mix, gigging etc ) 

Then whenever we create a new patch - we also set up scenes for the new patch - and the HELX provides a means for us to tell the HELIX that scene 1 is our "clean" , scene 2 is our "boost" scene 3 our "lead", scene 4 our "rhythm etc . And then with a single button click the HELIX normalises the levels and output for this new patch to match my initial "reference". 

So that for the new patch I am now ensured that for the common usages - clean, OD, boost rhythm etc - my new patch can be interchanged with any other without any need to tweak final output levels etc.

http://line6.ideasca...es/823342-23508

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Resizable-Library-Window-in-Helix-Editor/823361-23508?submitted=1

SImple request - most third party IRs (like Ownhammer) have long titles which give pertinent information as to speaker types, speaker mixes, mic types, mic mixes, mic distances, etc.  This information is not fully viewable in the limited width of the Library Window.  Please give user the ability to stretch the window OR make it so it automatically resizes based on the file information.