Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

Delay mix expression (trails)

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Delay-mix-expression-trails/836019-23508?submitted=1

When delay trails are enabled, the expression control is located after the delay. So if you pull down the expression the trails cease immediately. If the expression was moved before the delay, you would continue to get repeats even after you pull down the expression pedal, which is what you'd expect if you enable the trails option. Seems like an easy enough fix.

I'm trying to understand what you're asking for here, or, perhaps more importantly, what it is you're trying to do. The mix parameter by definition is control the comparative level of the wet and dry signals. So if you turn down the mix knob towards zero, the level of the repeats is by definition going to decrease. It sounds like perhaps you just need to set the minimum value for the expression pedal at a different level.

Let's get single-click assignment of parameters to snapshots in the Editor.  It is a somewhat painful multi-step process that also requires a switch to the "Controller Assign" page right now. It would also be great to have the ability to assign all the parameters in a block at one time to a snapshot, for example, the amp block, reverb, delay, or overdrive blocks. 

Please vote it up at http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Assign-parameter-to-snapshot-with-click-in-Editor/833883-23508

I'm trying to understand what you're asking for here, or, perhaps more importantly, what it is you're trying to do. The mix parameter by definition is control the comparative level of the wet and dry signals. So if you turn down the mix knob towards zero, the level of the repeats is by definition going to decrease. It sounds like perhaps you just need to set the minimum value for the expression pedal at a different level.

The mix control is just a blend between two paths, a dry path and a 100% wet path. Usually there is a split before both paths and a blend control at the end of both. My suggestion is to move the blend before both paths and a 50:50 mix at the end of both. That way while controlling the blend with an expression pedal, you can pull down and still have the repeats trailing. Somewhat like how an aux send on a mixing control works.

post-2427902-0-76542900-1471678541_thumb.jpg

This is how it usually is in the Helix

post-2427902-0-06353800-1471678593_thumb.jpg

This is how I would like it t be while trails are enabled

post-2427902-0-22720700-1471678637_thumb.jpg

Of course, one could put the delay in a parallel path set 100% wet, and assign a volume block before it, and control that with the expression instead.

• Upvote 1

The mix control is just a blend between two paths, a dry path and a 100% wet path. Usually there is a split before both paths and a blend control at the end of both. My suggestion is to move the blend before both paths and a 50:50 mix at the end of both. That way while controlling the blend with an expression pedal, you can pull down and still have the repeats trailing. Somewhat like how an aux send on a mixing control works.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender-3.jpg

This is how it usually is in the Helix

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

This is how I would like it t be while trails are enabled

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender-2.jpg

Of course, one could put the delay in a parallel path set 100% wet, and assign a volume block before it, and control that with the expression instead.

Well that really becomes a send control more than a mix at that point. I still don't understand why you can't get what you want just by not the having the minimum mix level for the expression pedal set at something other than 0.

Well that really becomes a send control more than a mix at that point. I still don't understand why you can't get what you want just by not the having the minimum mix level for the expression pedal set at something other than 0.

The level of the preceding trails will still reduce in this scenario, right?

The last image I posted yields exactly the result I need, but it still involves using a parallel path just for the delay.

Here is one borrowed from the eventide h9 pedal. An effects randomizer you click the randomizer button inside an effect and all parameters inside that effect are randomly chosen i love this feature in the h9. Sometimes it comes up with some fantastic effects

You can already do this with Workbench HD. Just create a custom model where the mix is 100% magnetic. The one thing to be aware of is that the pickup selector is a hardwired switch for the pickups, so its position will always determine which magnetic pickups are active. This an actual electrical connection, so that's not going to be able to be changed via firmware update. So if you have the pickup selector in the bridge position, there is no way that you'll be able to select the magnetic new pickup via the Helix without actually moving the pickup selector. That's just one of the compromises that had to be made to actually make the Variax have working magnetic pickups.

Thanks 

You can already do this with Workbench HD. Just create a custom model where the mix is 100% magnetic. The one thing to be aware of is that the pickup selector is a hardwired switch for the pickups, so its position will always determine which magnetic pickups are active. This an actual electrical connection, so that's not going to be able to be changed via firmware update. So if you have the pickup selector in the bridge position, there is no way that you'll be able to select the magnetic new pickup via the Helix without actually moving the pickup selector. That's just one of the compromises that had to be made to actually make the Variax have working magnetic pickups.

Thanks Phil: it's a good workaround, but you have to "use up" one of the models for that, this idea would save you one.

And yes I understand what you mean with the physical position, my idea wasn't proposing to be able to "switch" the pickup on the mag side, merely to switch to the mags - in whichever positions they are already, i.e., simply what pressing on the model knob already does.

Thanks Phil: it's a good workaround, but you have to "use up" one of the models for that, this idea would save you one.

And yes I understand what you mean with the physical position, my idea wasn't proposing to be able to "switch" the pickup on the mag side, merely to switch to the mags - in whichever positions they are already, i.e., simply what pressing on the model knob already does.

Here's a more generic/useful version of this idea - make the input block controllable by snapshots:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Make-a-snapshot-able-to-control-the-input/837674-23508

• Upvote 2

Preset Rating in the Helix App

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Preset-Rating-in-Helix-App/839582-23508

It would be handy to have a preset rating system in the Helix app.
It could be stars: *****
Or just simply: good / bad (+ / -) and unrated

When building presets I usually end up with multiple versions of a similar sound - "Rough_01", "Rough_02" etc.
Listening afterwards I'd like to give ratings, which were the keepers.

Additional functionality would be to sort the presets according to rating (ascending / descending)

• Upvote 1

Added an Idea to Ideascale to have tapered high/low cuts. Please vote it up here: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Tapered-high-low-cuts-for-more-realistic-amp-cab-modeling/840630-23508

"Guitar speakers like Celestions tend to DROP OFF but not CUT OFF at around 70hz on the low end and about 5khz on the high end. I would love to see Line6 add a TAPERED High/Low EQ cut that would mimic this behavior and make for a much more accurate representation of a guitar speaker's behavior.

Would love to see a tapered low and high cut added, preferably with three options start point, end point, and slope. So, for example you would set the start point on your high cut at 5khz, set the endpoint at 20khz, and the slope at the degree of steepness you wanted the signal to drop off between these two points. Same basic idea for the low cut.  Set the start point at 70hz, set the end point at 20hz, and set the slope again for the steepness of the cut you want. The three parameters - start point, end point, and slope would allow you to tailor the high and low cuts as you saw fit to emulate different speakers and to sync up with different presets. This would make it much easier to accurately emulate the EQ characteristics of real guitar amps and speaker cabs."

• Thanks 1

Added an Idea to Ideascale to have tapered high/low cuts. Please vote it up here: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Tapered-high-low-cuts-for-more-realistic-amp-cab-modeling/840630-23508

"Guitar speakers like Celestions tend to DROP OFF but not CUT OFF at around 70hz on the low end and about 5khz on the high end. I would love to see Line6 add a TAPERED High/Low EQ cut that would mimic this behavior and make for a much more accurate representation of a guitar speaker's behavior.

Would love to see a tapered low and high cut added, preferably with three options start point, end point, and slope. So, for example you would set the start point on your high cut at 5khz, set the endpoint at 20khz, and the slope at the degree of steepness you wanted the signal to drop off between these two points. Same basic idea for the low cut.  Set the start point at 70hz, set the end point at 20hz, and set the slope again for the steepness of the cut you want. The three parameters - start point, end point, and slope would allow you to tailor the high and low cuts as you saw fit to emulate different speakers and to sync up with different presets. This would make it much easier to accurately emulate the EQ characteristics of real guitar amps and speaker cabs."

Where did the idea come from that hi- and low-cuts are a sudden cut off? Is there any evidence for this?

Being able to customize the slopes in the manner you describe above is a good idea.

Where did the idea come from that hi- and low-cuts are a sudden cut off? Is there any evidence for this?

Being able to customize the slopes in the manner you describe above is a good idea.

I want to say that the high and low cut filters in the cab block have 12dB slopes, but I'd have to look up where I read that. I think DI mentioned it before.

Anyone want amp models to have switchable tubes??

Being that the helix models component by component, every transistor, every capacitor, every tube... wouldn't it be possible to switch out tubes in each amp model? Say you didn't like the EL84's in a certain amp and wanted 6L6's instead. This would put the helix's customization into overdrive.

Please vote! http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Amp-tube-swap!/840633-23508

I would not be at all surprised if there is some algorithm already that does some sort of roll-off instead of a hard cut-off but I have no idea what that slope or what the roll-off start and end-points are, and I would think it is fixed such that it is always the same.

I want to say that the high and low cut filters in the cab block have 12dB slopes, but I'd have to look up where I read that. I think DI mentioned it before.

Thanks for this tidbit phil_m. I had not seen this mentioned before. There would be I think some great advantages to being having high/low cuts with the flexibility of tapered cuts as I think so many people would opt to use them rather than the more involved parametric and graphic EQ settings. And of course you could still use the PEQ and GEQ blocks with them if you wanted even more granular control.

Here's mine: I'd love to be able to record a loop, and it doesn't auto play when I stop the recording.

Looper: stop recording, no playback:
http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Looper-stop-recording-no-playback/839495-23508

This one is not mine but it is very important to me so please vote:

Voicelive type processing:
http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Voicelive-type-vocal-processing/772456-23508

• 2 weeks later...

Added an Idea for the Brian May Deacy amp. This small home-made amp produced for Brian May by his bass player John Deacon has a uniquely warm and almost vocal quality that is quite distinct from other amps. It can make a solo sound almost as if it is being sung. Would love to see this model added to the Helix.

Vote 'er up!       http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-Brian-May-Deacy-Amp/841534-23508

Snapshot Morphing

Get interesting transitions and inbetween sounds by morphing between two snapshots using a foot pedal or MIDI CC-s.

Assign a "Morph" parameter to the expression pedal, specify start and end snapshots and done!

Morphing will adjust the involved parameters smoothly from one value to the other. If chosen snapshots have any switching involved, it will happen when crossing the half way point.

If you like this, vote here:
http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Snapshot-Morphing/842054-23508

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a few things I think would enhance the Helix experience - 

Compare function. I guess this would need double the memory during the edit but it seems like a 'must' to me.

Acoustic simulator.

Speaker saturation control (as found on Eleven rack)

Mic model defeat - if we can go speaker-less, why not mike-less?

And a few suggestions for sounds - 

Quadraverb rotary speaker - still the best I've heard

Boss HM2 pedal (80's Japanese version)

Ibanez Super Metal pedal

Rory's Irish Tour 74 amp sound (a very distinctive Bassman?)

Marshall JMP-1 OD1 channel

ProAmp Viper clean channel (known as KMD in the USA)

Here's a few things I think would enhance the Helix experience - 

Compare function. I guess this would need double the memory during the edit but it seems like a 'must' to me.

Acoustic simulator.

Speaker saturation control (as found on Eleven rack)

Mic model defeat - if we can go speaker-less, why not mike-less?

And a few suggestions for sounds - 

Quadraverb rotary speaker - still the best I've heard

Boss HM2 pedal (80's Japanese version)

Ibanez Super Metal pedal

Rory's Irish Tour 74 amp sound (a very distinctive Bassman?)

Marshall JMP-1 OD1 channel

ProAmp Viper clean channel (known as KMD in the USA)

This topic is for Ideascale submissions so your best chance to get some traction with Line6  is usually to create an Idea there and then post the link with a description here. That way people can vote for it.

I added this idea : http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Quick-preset-storage/856008-23508

The idea is to have a quick way to (temporarily) save your presets, which to me would be useful when I'm recording a song. If I tweak a preset, and record something with it, and then want to record a different part, I would prefer not having to deal with saving my first preset somewhere and giving it a name. So my solution would be a quickly accessible chronological list that I can drop my presets in, and then deal with organization later.

(Granted, there might already be something to that effect in the Helix, I have only scratched the surface so far, but I haven't been able to find a feature like this).

I added this idea : http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Quick-preset-storage/856008-23508

The idea is to have a quick way to (temporarily) save your presets, which to me would be useful when I'm recording a song. If I tweak a preset, and record something with it, and then want to record a different part, I would prefer not having to deal with saving my first preset somewhere and giving it a name. So my solution would be a quickly accessible chronological list that I can drop my presets in, and then deal with organization later.

(Granted, there might already be something to that effect in the Helix, I have only scratched the surface so far, but I haven't been able to find a feature like this).

In the meantime you can just hit save once, then change the Setlist and/or Destination for your save with the parameter knob(s) to a blank location and hit save again. Granted the new save will have the same name but it only takes a second to do the save and if you use sequential blank locations for your saves you will know which iteration is more recent.

Line 6 now has Android software (Spider Remote) for the new Spider V amps, and Android software (Amplifi Remote, and Firehawk Remote) for those respective product families.

What is missing is HELIX Remote! An Android software application for remote HELIX display and control, plus the ability to update HELIX'S firmware for Line 6's flagship product -- without requiring a PC nor Mac.

Vote it Up!

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-Remote-Android-App/856889-23508

Hey Guys ,

Posted an idea with some suggestions to improve the Helix editor today.

I would like to be able to:

1. Assign parameters to footswitches via the helix editor.

2. Audition IRs before loading them onto the Helix. Want to be able to quickly scroll through a bunch of IRs before picking one to load onto the Helix.

3. Have a dedicated looper with controls in the Editor. Instant looping without having to assign an effect and turn it on. Will make creating tones much easier in my opinion (if you don't want to go the DI route).

4. Tune my guitar from the editor screen itself. 

5. See exactly how much DSP I'm taking up. 

I'm not sure if this has been covered earlier or not. If it hasn't, please vote!

Hey Guys ,

Posted an idea with some suggestions to improve the Helix editor today.

I would like to be able to:

1. Assign parameters to footswitches via the helix editor.

2. Audition IRs before loading them onto the Helix. Want to be able to quickly scroll through a bunch of IRs before picking one to load onto the Helix.

3. Have a dedicated looper with controls in the Editor. Instant looping without having to assign an effect and turn it on. Will make creating tones much easier in my opinion (if you don't want to go the DI route).

4. Tune my guitar from the editor screen itself. 

5. See exactly how much DSP I'm taking up. 

I'm not sure if this has been covered earlier or not. If it hasn't, please vote!

You can already do number 1 on this list.