Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

Great! Edited the idea accordingly. Please vote!

Also, can you tell me how to do this?

I don't have the editor in front of me at the moment, but you basically do it the same way you assign a parameter to any controller with the editor. Click on the Controllers tab, select the parameter you want to control, select the controller you want to assign it to from the pulldown menu, and set the min and max values.

• 3 weeks later...
Effects Send Return Output Option

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Effects-Send-Return-Output-Option/860457-23508

Allow for the option to set effects loop output to an off state for 1/4" or XLR or both helix main outs. This would offer a variety of Helix personal monitoring options when using Aviom or similar on stage monitoring system.

Please vote this up for those of us on a quiet stage. This setting would allow for stereo personal monitoring via Helix headphone output while the block input is fed from the onstage mixer. The muted output would not send the full band mix back to front of house via Helix. 

This could also be accomplished if the Aux input on the Helix had an output routing option which likely might be an easier implementation.

• Upvote 1

Effects Send Return Output Option

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Effects-Send-Return-Output-Option/860457-23508

Allow for the option to set effects loop output to an off state for 1/4" or XLR or both helix main outs. This would offer a variety of Helix personal monitoring options when using Aviom or similar on stage monitoring system.

Please vote this up for those of us on a quiet stage. This setting would allow for stereo personal monitoring via Helix headphone output while the block input is fed from the onstage mixer. The muted output would not send the full band mix back to front of house via Helix. 

This could also be accomplished if the Aux input on the Helix had an output routing option which likely might be an easier implementation.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for here. Are you saying you want to be able to use a pair of returns as an input on a path but not have it go out to the 1/4" or XLR outs? You can actually do that right now as long as you have one of the 4 available paths open... But perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for here. Are you saying you want to be able to use a pair of returns as an input on a path but not have it go out to the 1/4" or XLR outs? You can actually do that right now as long as you have one of the 4 available paths open... But perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're asking for.

Phil, It would be helpful for personal stereo monitoring in a silent stage application. It sounds tighter and you play better IMHO.

It could be accomplished in an effects loop state or the aux in like the Kemper description below. I think the effects loop might be better as I would bet there are many folks utilizing both the guitar in and aux in for a 2nd instrument.

I have a super serial patch to accomplish this now but then you can run out of dsp pretty quickly with the blocks I'm using. I was able to add the vintage delay once I removed the preamp and switched the 2204 Mod to the Litigator. You can see them parked on 2A along with an EQ and LA Comp that I can't use with this setup due to the DSP limitation. Since I am not using the 1/4 outs it mutes the signal to FOH.

From the Kemper Manual- The Auxiliary Input function allows you to feed a stereo signal, such as a mp3-player, into your Profiler to play along with it. In the Output/Master menu, the Auxiliary Input function is equipped with three controls: one to feed the aux signal to the main outputs as well as S/PDIF OUT, and two others to feed it to the Monitor and Headphone output.

This allows you, for instance, to add an additional monitor signal to your headphone output, while the main output stays unaffected. The auxiliary signal will not be affected by any internal effects.

Helix%20Super.jpg

The Auxiliary Input function allows you to feed a stereo signal, such as a mp3-player, into your Profiler to play along with it. In the Output/Master menu, the Auxiliary Input function is equipped with three controls: one to feed the aux signal to the main outputs as well as S/PDIF OUT, and two others to feed it to the Monitor and Headphone output.

This allows you, for instance, to add an additional monitor signal to your headphone output, while the main output stays unaffected. The auxiliary signal will not be affected by any internal effects.

I haven't submitted this as an idea to Ideascale yet but I would just like to say that I would happily give up one of my preset lists (128 presets) to get more room for IRs (I know, preset lists probably use three times as much memory ). Shuffling them in and out has just become an enormous pain. Adding the capability to the Editor to audition/preview them without having to load them into the slots would be a huge move in the right direction but when it comes down to it the Helix simply has way too few slots available for IRs once you really get into using them.

I haven't submitted this as an idea to Ideascale yet but I would just like to say that I would happily give up one of my preset lists (128 presets) to get more room for IRs (I know, preset lists probably use three times as much memory ). Shuffling them in and out has just become an enormous pain. Adding the capability to the Editor to audition/preview them without having to load them into the slots would be a huge move in the right direction but when it comes down to it the Helix simply has way too few slots available for IRs once you really get into using them.

Intriguing suggestion!

As Helix's Operating System is proprietary to Line 6, and 4 years effort went into designing Helix, it would not be inconvceivable to discover that Line 6 may have planned for reapportioning Helix's memory resources. The current Eight Setlist banks of 128 entires each (8x128=1024 total) dramatically contrasts the much smaller IR capacity of 128 total slots. Perhaps a forthcoming firmware release may offer restructured possibilities for users requiring avgreater IR capacity option in lieu of 8 Setlists.

How long is it likely to be before (if) we get a switchless wah? I'm going to have to buy one otherwise, but I'd rather wait if I had some idea of the possible timeframe.

Cheers,

Dr Spankle

They just added this feature in 2.10.0.

Intriguing suggestion!

As Helix's Operating System is proprietary to Line 6, and 4 years effort went into designing Helix, it would not be inconvceivable to discover that Line 6 may have planned for reapportioning Helix's memory resources. The current Eight Setlist banks of 128 entires each (8x128=1024 total) dramatically contrasts the much smaller IR capacity of 128 total slots. Perhaps a forthcoming firmware release may offer restructured possibilities for users requiring avgreater IR capacity option in lieu of 8 Setlists.

the setlists take up very very little data compared to the IR slots.  This is because the setlists ( preset collections ) are merely metadata for all the settings available within a patch. This is tiny. You can see just how tiny by downloading 1024 presets from Customtone (or just exporting from the helix setlists to a directory and then seeing how many megabytes this takes up. Or alternately - look at how big the BUNDLE HELIX backup files are.

Then put - duplicating if necessary - copies of all your impulse response files - all 128 of them - into another directory.  Since the impulse response files are actually small audio files you will find this takes up much more data. 

I just did this with my 128 IRs  - it comes to around 1MB. 

If you look at a bundle - which is ALL the data in ALL the setlists - it takes up under 250KB.  Not even quarter of 1MB. 

So even if they reassigned some of the space to IRs it would be a tiny amount extra. Not wirth it. Its possible that the exported files are being compressed - so the space taken up in the HELIX itself for each preset could be bigger but i doubt that much bigger.

Having said that 1MB is not a lot of flash storage and i'm surprised there isnt more space inside the HELIX. But personally i think 128 IRs are enough !

the setlists take up very very little data compared to the IR slots. This is because the setlists ( preset collections ) are merely metadata for all the settings available within a patch. This is tiny. You can see just how tiny by downloading 1024 presets from Customtone (or just exporting from the helix setlists to a directory and then seeing how many megabytes this takes up. Or alternately - look at how big the BUNDLE HELIX backup files are.

Then put - duplicating if necessary - copies of all your impulse response files - all 128 of them - into another directory. Since the impulse response files are actually small audio files you will find this takes up much more data.

I just did this with my 128 IRs - it comes to around 1MB.

If you look at a bundle - which is ALL the data in ALL the setlists - it takes up under 250KB. Not even quarter of 1MB.

So even if they reassigned some of the space to IRs it would be a tiny amount extra. Not wirth it. Its possible that the exported files are being compressed - so the space taken up in the HELIX itself for each preset could be bigger but i doubt that much bigger.

Having said that 1MB is not a lot of flash storage and i'm surprised there isnt more space inside the HELIX. But personally i think 128 IRs are enough !

The size of an IR is 9KB after you export from the Helix which is post processing into Helix's native format. I have presets over 40kb so I assume you can have an entire setlist of presets all of which are over 40kb. So from what I can see the IRs/wavs are actually smaller than the presets and would take up less room then the presets.

If my math is correct one User list's worth of space might accommodate as many as something like 512 IRs (IR being a 1/4 the size of a preset). I suppose presets could be stored on the Helix in a more compressed format than an exported preset so I am just basing my math off what we know which is the size of exported IR and preset backups.

Lastly, I used to feel 128 IRs was enough until I started gathering some up free ones and purchasing a few packs. I would say my IR collection is probably way smaller than many users here and I still find 128 slots to be woefully few for allowing me to truly exploit the ones I have. Not looking to load my entire collection up, but two or three times as many IR slots would be much better. :)

The size of an IR is 9KB after you export from the Helix which is post processing into Helix's native format. I have presets over 40kb so I assume you can have an entire setlist of presets all of which are over 40kb. So from what I can see the IRs/wavs are actually smaller than the presets and would take up less room then the presets.

Good point. 

But here's the thing.  An IR is basically a WAV that internally is most likely stored as uncompressed PCM because otherwise there are CPU performance hits just to decompress the data. So the size you see for your Its as files is roughly what they will be when stored in flash in the helix. 

However if you look at the contents of each HLX preset file you will see something like what is shown below.  The data is in what is known as JSON format.

Notice that the amount of characters used for the labels and delimiters etc far exceeds the actual characters needed for the data itself. 

Now INTERNALLY - I REALLY doubt this is how the data for each preset is stored. For example there need be no label for each parameter, comas, delimiters, nothing like that. There are far more efficient ways of storing and more importantly - accessing info for access internally such as one of the many database formats.

So the space then used internally will be much smaller.

I speak as a programmer here but in any case L6 could confirm this easy without giving away anything proprietary. 

Heres what a typical HXL JSON file looks like" 

{

"version" : 6,
  "data" : {
    "meta" : {
      "name" : "Brazilian Smooth",
      "application" : "Helix",
      "build_sha" : "0dab6d6",
      "modifieddate" : 1467583925,
      "appversion" : 17825792
    },
    "device" : 2162689,
    "tone" : {
      "dsp1" : {
        "block0" : {
          "Bias" : 0.48,
          "@model" : "HD2_AmpBritJ45Brt",
          "Master" : 0.72,
          "@position" : 2,
          "Drive" : 0.23,
          "Treble" : 0.15,
          "ChVol" : 0.79,
          "@enabled" : true,
          "Ripple" : 0.2,
          "@path" : 0,
          "@type" : 1,
          "Bass" : 0.4,
          "BiasX" : 0.48,
          "Hum" : 0.4,
          "Mid" : 0.36,
          "@bypassvolume" : 1,
          "Presence" : 0,
          "Sag" : 0.75
        },
        "block1" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_ImpulseResponse1024",
          "LowCut" : 72,
          "@type" : 5,
          "Index" : 126,
          "@position" : 3,
          "Level" : -15,
          "Mix" : 1,
          "HighCut" : 4200
        },
        "block2" : {
          "Time2" : 0,
          "@model" : "HD2_PitchDualPitch",
          "Cents1" : -8.799999,
          "@position" : 4,
          "Interval2" : 0,
          "PanVoice2" : 0.5,
          "Time1" : 0,
          "@type" : 0,
          "Mix" : 0.38,
          "LevelVoice1" : 1,
          "LevelVoice2" : 1,
          "Interval1" : 0,
          "Level" : 0.5,
          "@stereo" : true,
          "PanDry" : 0.5,
          "Cents2" : 4.400002,
          "PanVoice1" : 0.5
        },
        "block3" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_ReverbPlate",
          "@position" : 5,
          "LowCut" : 320,
          "@trails" : false,
          "@type" : 7,
          "Mix" : 0.36,
          "Decay" : 0.36,
          "HighCut" : 3200,
          "Predelay" : 0.15
        },
        "inputA" : {
          "@input" : 0,
          "@model" : "HD2_AppDSPFlow1Input",
          "noiseGate" : false,
          "decay" : 0.5,
          "threshold" : -48
        },
        "inputB" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_AppDSPFlow2Input",
        },
        "join" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_AppDSPFlowJoin",
          "B Pan" : 0.5,
          "B Level" : 0,
          "A Level" : 0,
          "A Pan" : 0.5,
          "@position" : 8,
          "Level" : 0,
          "B Polarity" : false
        },
        "split" : {
          "@position" : 0,
          "@model" : "HD2_AppDSPFlowSplitY",
          "@enabled" : true
        },
        "outputB" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_AppDSPFlowOutput",
          "@output" : 0,
          "pan" : 0.5,
          "gain" : 0
        },
        "outputA" : {
          "@output" : 1,
          "gain" : 2
        }
      },
      "global" : {
        "@variax_volumeknob" : -0.1,
        "@pedalstate" : 2,
        "@variax_customtuning" : true,
        "@variax_str1tuning" : 0,
        "@variax_str2tuning" : 0,
        "@variax_str4tuning" : 0,
        "@variax_str6tuning" : 0,
        "@variax_model" : 1,
        "@model" : "@global_params",
        "@topology0" : "SAB",
        "@cursor_dsp" : 1,
        "@cursor_path" : 0,
        "@tempo" : 153.9448,
        "@topology1" : "A",
        "@variax_magmode" : false,
        "@cursor_position" : 3,
        "@variax_lockctrls" : 0,
        "@variax_str3tuning" : 0,
        "@variax_str5tuning" : 0,
        "@variax_toneknob" : -0.1,
        "@cursor_group" : "block1"
      },
      "footswitch" : {
            "@fs_label" : "Plate",
            "@fs_enabled" : true,
            "@fs_index" : 5,
            "@fs_ledcolor" : 16723200,
            "@fs_momentary" : false
          },
            "@fs_label" : "Dual Pitch",
            "@fs_index" : 4,
            "@fs_ledcolor" : 3277055,
          }
        },
        "dsp0" : {
          "block4" : {
            "@fs_label" : "Volume Pedal",
            "@fs_enabled" : false,
            "@fs_index" : 13,
            "@fs_ledcolor" : 3334,
          },
            "@fs_label" : "Ducked Delay",
            "@fs_index" : 3,
            "@fs_ledcolor" : 458496,
          },
            "@fs_label" : "70s Chorus",
            "@fs_index" : 2,
            "@fs_ledcolor" : 13055,
          }
        }
      },
        "join" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_AppDSPFlowJoin",
          "B Pan" : 0.5,
          "B Level" : 0,
          "A Level" : 0,
          "A Pan" : 0.5,
          "@position" : 8,
          "@enabled" : false,
          "B Polarity" : false
        },
          "@trails" : true,
          "@type" : 7,
          "DynAttack" : 0.1,
          "Ducking" : 0,
          "SyncSelect1" : 6,
          "@model" : "HD2_DelayDuckedDelay",
          "@stereo" : false,
          "DynRel" : 0.5,
          "LowCut" : 320,
          "Mix" : 0.2,
          "Feedback" : 0.3199999,
          "HighCut" : 3600,
          "Scale" : 1,
          "Threshold" : 0,
          "@position" : 5,
          "TempoSync1" : false,
          "DynType" : false,
          "Time" : 0.3
        },
          "VibratoRate" : 0.7,
          "@model" : "HD2_Chorus70sChorus",
          "SyncSelect1" : 6,
          "SyncSelect2" : 6,
          "TempoSync1" : false,
          "Mix" : 0.2,
          "Headroom" : 0,
          "Stereo" : false,
          "TempoSync2" : false,
          "VibratoDepth" : 0.5,
          "ChorusIntensity" : 0.16,
          "Mode" : false,
          "Spread" : 0
        },
        "inputB" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_AppDSPFlow2Input",
        },
        "block1" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_ImpulseResponse1024",
          "LowCut" : 72,
          "@type" : 5,
          "Index" : 125,
          "@position" : 3,
          "Level" : -15,
          "Mix" : 1,
          "HighCut" : 4200
        },
        "outputB" : {
          "@output" : 2,
          "gain" : 0
        },
        "inputA" : {
          "@input" : 1,
          "@model" : "HD2_AppDSPFlow1Input",
          "decay" : 0.1,
          "threshold" : -75
        },
        "split" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_AppDSPFlowSplitAB",
          "RouteTo" : 0.5,
          "bypass" : false
        },
          "@model" : "HD2_AmpJazzRivet120",
          "Master" : 0.92,
          "Drive" : 0.35,
          "Bright" : 0,
          "ChVol" : 0.8,
          "@type" : 1,
          "Bass" : 0.42,
          "Mid" : 0.45,
          "@bypassvolume" : 1,
          "Presence" : 0,
          "Treble" : 0.3
        },
        "block5" : {
          "@model" : "HD2_CompressorLAStudioComp",
          "@position" : 1,
          "Emphasis" : 0.38,
          "Mix" : 0.75,
          "PeakReduction" : 0.5,
          "Type" : false,
          "Gain" : 0.5
        },
        "outputA" : {
          "@output" : 1,
          "gain" : 2
        },
          "@model" : "HD2_VolPanVol",
          "@path" : 1,
          "Pedal" : 1,
          "@enabled" : false,
          "VolumeTaper" : false
        }
      },
      "controller" : {
            "Master" : {
              "@min" : 0.5999999,
              "@controller" : 2,
              "@max" : 0.72
            }
          }
        },
            "Pedal" : {
              "@min" : 0,
              "@max" : 1
            }
          },
            "Master" : {
              "@min" : 0.8,
              "@max" : 0.92
            }
          }
        }
      }
    },
    "device_version" : 17956896
  },
  "schema" : "L6Preset"
}

VERY wasteful of space.  But thats not the primary concern when saving to files on disk etc. 

How about Line 6 introduces a competition to the community for uploading artist and song presets on customtone.

Prizes for people who get the most stars in a month.

This would hopefully increase the number of presets available to the community and make it easier to find something that sounds good and encourage sharing. The Helix in particular could do with more choice.

HELIX Editor: Show Snapshots as 8 separate buttons not dropdown

When using the editor alone - and not near the HELIX floorboard itself it can be a pain to switch between snapshots using the drop down.

Much better would be to have each of the 8 snapshots as a button which can be clicked to select it. This also has the advantage that one can see the names of all the snapshots in a patch at once

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HELIX-Editor-Show-Snapshots-as-8-separate-buttons-not-dropdown/864575-23508?submitted=1

• Upvote 1

Hi !

I submitted this one about Song Mode, to easily reorganize your presets for your next rehearsal or gig : http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Song-mode/864431-23508

Also started a new thread about it : http://line6.com/support/topic/25006-song-mode/

Your experience, advice and tips on live use of Helix are welcome :)

Raph

• Upvote 1

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it so the Helix can switch my amp channels using a snapshot switch!!!! It's a great unit, but that would make it perfect!

It already does this. Just set up two (or three) amp channels in a preset and have all but one bypassed in your first snapshot. Your subsequent snapshots can bypass the first (second) amp channel and this will allow you to switch between the channels. Generally I use the separate amp models and use the same cab(s) or IR(s) for all the amp blocks as I don't want to use up too much DSP by using the Amp+cab models. I use snapshots this way all the time. It is easy to emulate a multi-channel amp this way. I name the snapshots 'Clean', 'Crunch', 'Lead', etc..

It already does this. Just set up two (or three) amp channels in a preset and have all but one bypassed in your first snapshot. Your subsequent snapshots can bypass the first (second) amp channel and this will allow you to switch between the channels. Generally I use the separate amp models and use the same cab(s) or IR(s) for all the amp blocks as I don't want to use up too much DSP by using the Amp+cab models. I use snapshots this way all the time. It is easy to emulate a multi-channel amp this way. I name the snapshots 'Clean', 'Crunch', 'Lead', etc..

I think rickrussos might be referring to a physical amp.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it so the Helix can switch my amp channels using a snapshot switch!!!! It's a great unit, but that would make it perfect!

I think rickrussos might be referring to a physical amp.

Good call, on second read that does appear to be what he is requesting. He can use snapshots to do this as well if his amp has MIDI channel switching. Perhaps what he is asking though is for the capability to do this with the 'Ext. Amp' controller output?

Hi, Guys thanks for the reply. I need the Helix to switch my Carvin v3 channels via MIDI, within a snapshot. I can do it with stomp mode, but not through a Snapshot. I called Line 6 and they said it could not be done. I was hoping they would see this post, and maybe if I get more people on board they would fix this problem.

Hi, Guys thanks for the reply. I need the Helix to switch my Carvin v3 channels via MIDI, within a snapshot. I can do it with stomp mode, but not through a Snapshot. I called Line 6 and they said it could not be done. I was hoping they would see this post, and maybe if I get more people on board they would fix this problem.

I am surprised to hear that answer unless the combination of MIDI messages required by the Carvin can't be selected on the Helix or the MIDI function is not working properly within snapshots yet. Take a look at page 34 of the 'Helix 2.0 Owners Manual Rev. D' when you get a chance. Theoretically you should be able to do what you are attempting either through the 'Ext Amp' controller output or the instant MIDI CCs. It might be worth giving it a try.

Here are two videos using channel switching via MIDI that may point you in the right direction. The first video is using snapshots and MIDI commands to do exactly what you are attempting.. Good luck!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIF1Z7ggGm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2R1impQ2vw&t=3s

From the manual:

There’s always going to be a small audible gap when switching presets in any box with the Helix device's level of dynamic model allocation and routing complexity; that’s just how advanced DSP works. However, snapshots allow for a surprising amount of tonal control from within the same preset, and every change happens instantly and seamlessly. Similar to the snapshots feature in some high end digital mixers, each of the Helix device's eight snapshots stores and recalls the state of certain elements in the current preset, including:

• Block Bypass—The bypass(on/off) state of all processing blocks(except Looper), independent of any footswitch assignments. Also see "Snapshots > Block Bypass"

• Parameter Control—The values of any parameters assigned to controllers (up to 64 per preset). Also see "Snapshots > Parameter Control"

• Command Center—The values of any instant MIDI CC, Bank/Prog, MMC, and CV Out messages, plus the state (dim or lit) of any CC Toggle, CV Toggle, and Ext Amp messages. Also see "Command Center"