Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

I wish there was a way to add/remove/re-position items in pedal edit mode. I have presets of pretty many blocks involved and if I want to adjust parameters in pedal edit mode, it's very time-consuming to find the block (even though it's all color-coded) since they are so many there. I would like to have an option to have as little as two or three blocks in pedal edit mode, to start with.

I've been using a Boss GT-100 for the last few years.

I still have not received my helix, still waiting for it, but reading the manual...

One option I am missing is the possibility to increase/decrease the volume using a footswitch.

I know it is possible to have a volume block, or use snapshots...

But what I mean is to be able to increase the volume (1dB for example) each time I stomp on FSx, and decrease the volume (1dB) each time I stomp on FSy.

So, in case you are using the wah and you want to adjust the volume on the go, you can touch a couple of times the footswitch, and decrease it to the point you want...

Or maybe the programed boost is not loud enough, so you stomp three times the increase switch up to the level where the barman runs...

I've been using a Boss GT-100 for the last few years.

I still have not received my helix, still waiting for it, but reading the manual...

One option I am missing is the possibility to increase/decrease the volume using a footswitch.

I know it is possible to have a volume block, or use snapshots...

But what I mean is to be able to increase the volume (1dB for example) each time I stomp on FSx, and decrease the volume (1dB) each time I stomp on FSy.

So, in case you are using the wah and you want to adjust the volume on the go, you can touch a couple of times the footswitch, and decrease it to the point you want...

Or maybe the programed boost is not loud enough, so you stomp three times the increase switch up to the level where the barman runs...

You can increase/decrease the volume easily with a footswitch (or the expression pedal) by a number of methods including assigning either a volume, EQ, Output, or the 'Ch Vol' or 'Master' parameter of an Amp block, or the level parameter of a wide assortment of other blocks, to either a footswitch or a snapshot. Very easy to do. You can't currently hit the switch successively for even more gain but you can have multiple switches or snapshots with different levels of gain. With up to eight snapshots on tap that is a lot of potential level options.

You can increase/decrease the volume easily with a footswitch (or the expression pedal) by a number of methods including assigning either a volume, EQ, Output, or the 'Ch Vol' or 'Master' parameter of an Amp block, or the level parameter of a wide assortment of other blocks, to either a footswitch or a snapshot. Very easy to do. You can't currently hit the switch successively for even more gain but you can have multiple switches or snapshots with different levels of gain. With up to eight snapshots on tap that is a lot of potential level options.

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I know it is possible in several ways. But as you say, you need several switches, and you have to adjust the levels exactly to the point you want first.

In the boss gt-100 you just need 2 switches. One to increase volume step by step, and one to decrease volume step by step.

Just a couple of simple blocks "increase volume" and "decrease volume" will allow to work like that.

You can dinamically adjust the level, if you find the wah to loud... If your settings are not correct... Or adjust the volume if your master is accidentaly not where it was supposed to be... You avoid the problem of turning volume up while switching on the wah, you have more control than with a volume pedal...

I think it seems very easy to include that kind of block, and make the helix more versatile...

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I know it is possible in several ways. But as you say, you need several switches, and you have to adjust the levels exactly to the point you want first.

In the boss gt-100 you just need 2 switches. One to increase volume step by step, and one to decrease volume step by step.

Just a couple of simple blocks "increase volume" and "decrease volume" will allow to work like that.

You can dinamically adjust the level, if you find the wah to loud... If your settings are not correct... Or adjust the volume if your master is accidentaly not where it was supposed to be... You avoid the problem of turning volume up while switching on the wah, you have more control than with a volume pedal...

I think it seems very easy to include that kind of block, and make the helix more versatile...

I like this functionality in principle. Maybe a new type of volume block or a new parameter on the existing volume block called something like 'Inc/Dec' or whatever where you put in the number of decibels to increment/decrement. The reason I suggest it as a block specific operation is you would not want to monopolize successive click operation on footswitches for only volume manipulation with a global option as there are many things you could potentially do on the Helix with successive footswitch clicks. Implementing this could prove to be a little trickier than it appears as the current behavior for switching would have to be taken into account, e.g. "What happens with "Multiple" footswitch assignments?". Perhaps you just disallow them when this kind of block is selected. Good idea, you should gin it up and post it on Ideascale.

Helix's brilliant Pedal Edit Mode may be precisely what you are seeking.

Prior to your Helix arriviving, you may read about it in the Helix 2.0 User Guide (Rev D) pdf, (pages 12 and 13). Take note of the graphic associated with Step 2 as shown on Page 13.

Helix's Pedal Edit Mode allows you to select and control the Parameter value of the desired Block (Amp, Cab, FX, etc.) Pedal Edit Mode provides, amongst other controls, a pair of dedicated footswitch buttons; one to Increase Value, another to Decrease Value. You may also use the Expression Pedal.

Thanks for your answer.

I like this functionality in principle. Maybe a new type of volume block or a new parameter on the existing volume block called something like 'Inc/Dec' or whatever where you put in the number of decibels to increment/decrement. The reason I suggest it as a block specific operation is you would not want to monopolize successive click operation on footswitches for only volume manipulation with a global option as there are many things you could potentially do on the Helix with successive footswitch clicks. Implementing this could prove to be a little trickier than it appears as the current behavior for switching would have to be taken into account, e.g. "What happens with "Multiple" footswitch assignments?". Perhaps you just disallow them when this kind of block is selected. Good idea, you should gin it up and post it on Ideascale.

Helix's brilliant Pedal Edit Mode may be precisely what you are seeking.

Prior to your Helix arriviving, you may read about it in the Helix 2.0 User Guide (Rev D) pdf, (pages 12 and 13). Take note of the graphic associated with Step 2 as shown on Page 13.

Helix's Pedal Edit Mode allows you to select and control the Parameter value of the desired Block (Amp, Cab, FX, etc.) Pedal Edit Mode provides, amongst other controls, a pair of dedicated footswitch buttons; one to Increase Value, another to Decrease Value. You may also use the Expression Pedal.

Great suggestion on the Pedal Edit mode. I still think that some kind of a specialized block or method for being able to do this in other modes would be very handy. I find Pedal Edit mode more useful for no hands preset design than for performance although it could be used as MusicLaw points out to increment/decrement the volume.

I'd like a global option so we can chose between 'press to resets parameter value' and 'press to assign parameter to snapshot' with the six turn/push knobs.

I find the process of, making a mental note of the parameter setting, grabbing hold of my rack with one hand, (it's not bolted down) pushing the knob and turning it with the other hand, then readjusting the value back to what it was before I had to turn it, somewhat fiddly for such a simple task, which I may have to perform tens of times within a patch.

I feel that the one button push would be of far more use assigning parameters to snapshots than it's current one.

-

I would like a simple addition to the edit program... A preset search applet. One that deals globally and within a setlist.

Also, some change to the way the parameters are displayed on the laptop. My eyesight is not the best it could be and the numbers are not easy to see, especially when the slide bar is over the entry field.

...and one more.

Please add the Variax guitar model on the top right of the Helix's LCD screen. In YELLOW, easy to see and remind us the current guitar used.

Global FX Loop Labels

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Global-FX-Loop-Labeling/898013-23508

I propose an option whereby the default label for an FX loop (i.e. "FX Loop X") could be changed to a custom label, for instance the name of the pedal in the loop, and that custom label would be applied automatically whenever inserting that FX loop into a preset. While I'm certain there are exceptions, presumably the pedal(s)/gear being used in a given FX loop probably aren't changed all that often, and as such it seems likely that they will be the same for every patch that the loop is used in, generally speaking. This would save the user having to re-label the loop each time it is used. Likewise, when a pedal is replaced with another in an FX loop and the loop is re-labeled, I propose an option where all instances of that loop would automatically reflect the new label. This would save the user having to change the label in every preset where the loop is used if they choose to change what is in the loop.

Of course I'm certain there are many conceivable situations where this behavior may be undesirable, and as such I think it best implemented as an option rather than a default function. Perhaps re-naming the FX loop block within the preset in the conventional way would work as per normal, but a naming option in the Globals could exist to behave as described above.

A suggestion for a new HELIX form factor: 

something like the Focusrite iTrack Dock but with internal SHARC chips so it can operate independently of iPad as a "HELIX Pod" as well as acting as an iPad/Guitar/Mic/USB interface and charger for an iPad when using an iPad. 

This would also relieve the iPad from DSP burdens so the iPad could be used better for other tasks such as DAW/Synths/effects etc etc.

https://line6.ideasc.../idea-v2/898750

I recently got a Focusrite iTrack Dock. Been playing around with Bias FX along with Group The Loop etc. The iTrack works beautifully. Bias FX - good tones but no HELIX.
I bought the dock because chances are ill mostly be using an iPad in live situations and wanted a way to lug minimum gear to open mics/jams etc instead of always lugging (or risking) the HELIX and tons of related gear. 

There are so many situations these days where an iPad might be used in live or home music situations. And being able to operate as interface to an iPad - control HELIX sounds from an iPad app - yet not place any DSP processing burden on the iPad CPU - would be really useful. The unit could be easily lugged to studios for session work, used in combination with iPad apps for added processing or looping or some other creative scheme. 

Win Win. 
So of course I made an IdeaScale for this.

• 2 weeks later...

I sure would like to see a list of guitars that were used/recommended with pickup, volume and tone settings for each individual patch on the Helix.  This would be most helpful for those with an extensive collection or for those of us using an HD Variax or standard Variax.  Of course this would just be a starting point for us users, but an important starting point.  Especially as there are SO many patches.  Why re-invent the wheel?

The reason behind this request is that over the years, over 50 years for me playing guitar, I have found that some patches on other gear sounds great on a Strat and sucks on a Les Paul.  I am sure you (Line6 engineers or patch creators) understand from where I come.  You gave us all the rest of the signal chain except the very start of TONE.

I sure would like to see a list of guitars that were used/recommended with pickup, volume and tone settings for each individual patch on the Helix.  This would be most helpful for those with an extensive collection or for those of us using an HD Variax or standard Variax.  Of course this would just be a starting point for us users, but an important starting point.  Especially as there are SO many patches.  Why re-invent the wheel?

The reason behind this request is that over the years, over 50 years for me playing guitar, I have found that some patches on other gear sounds great on a Strat and sucks on a Les Paul.  I am sure you (Line6 engineers or patch creators) understand from where I come.  You gave us all the rest of the signal chain except the very start of TONE.

Player for 40 years here... I promise you, the solution is to make your own, and I also promise you'll be super happy when you do.

I don't have the time that I used to have. I want to make music not get involved with fiddly bits and constant tweaking. Why duplicate the work others have done or SHOULD have done. I am merely asking for data that should already exist! SHEESH!

So it's not enough that other folks share the presets that they spent their time creating because of the inconvenience ofdownloading and auditioning a preset to decide if it's good? You must be very busy! Not saying the info wouldn't be useful but that's a pretty strong attitude about contributions from folks like us who are just sharing their efforts.

If you're talking about the 256 presets that come from the factory and don't have 10 seconds to spend auditioning each one, you must be VERY busy to get so worked up over the 45 minutes it would take (including bass presets).

IR selection UI optimization for Helix Editor

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/900516

"While in the Helix Editor application, I believe selecting IRs could be improved by allowing one to double-click the IR slot in the "IMPULSES" pane to the left of the main editor workspace window. One would highlight the IR block to be affected, then when the IR is double-clicked in the IMPULSES pain, that IR's slot number would be selected for the highlighted IR block.

This would be especially useful when auditioning IRs for a preset and would be much quicker than using the slot number slider, typing in the number, or using the hardware control knob on the Helix itself."

• Upvote 1

Some of these are repeats from above:

- tube mic preamp model(s) (for use with acoustic sims).

-some sort of level meter for the overall output level (or one that's easier to find if there's one there I can't find), maybe two, one for USB and maybe one for line out--allows patches to be set up without connecting to a daw or something to get the levels at least coarse adjusted.

I just submitted an Ideascale entry for having the option to turn the cursor scrolling (pac man effect) off. I am writing a manual for Helix for visually impaired users. I am finding that if cursor scrolling (pac man effect) could be turned off, a visually impaired user would be able to reference the cursor to the input of path 1A with a few clicks of the joystick, giving them a home reference of their signal path screen. This allows them to know where their cursor is and can navigate easily from that start point. Without having a know start point for the cursor, you really don't know where the cursor is and how to figure out where it is. Try covering your Helix display and try to figure out where your cursor is. 

I didn't find any other entries pertaining to this idea on Ideascale. 

Vote it up!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/901810

I'm hoping for, as seen lately with the Amps (Litigator), that line 6 will start putting in their own creation effects. Its essential to have a TS808, Memory Man, Etc modeled effects, but a fully adjustable line 6 delay, reverb, drive, distortion, etc. would be great.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/902154

Allow Helix to control StageSource Speaker Mode

Very simple request here - allow the Helix to select what speaker mode StageSource series speakers are in. This has a few benefits for those of us who use StageSource speakers a variety of ways - Electric Guitar mode is great for on stage backline amp when not using a cab simulator. Reference PA is great when trying to get the FOH sound through them or when using Helix to pump more than just guitar sound through it. Monitor mode is great for just what it says. It would be nice to make patches for specific applications and make sure the StageSource is in the right mode as needed.

I did this as a single feature request - there are others to bring Helix into better integration with StageSource and L6 Link enabled equipment. Would only make sense that interoperability would be a priority for Line 6 between their own equipment. Would definitely make more sales for people looking for an all in one solution.

Link to IdealScale:  https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/902174

• Upvote 1

Allow Helix to control StageSource Speaker Mode

Very simple request here - allow the Helix to select what speaker mode StageSource series speakers are in. This has a few benefits for those of us who use StageSource speakers a variety of ways - Electric Guitar mode is great for on stage backline amp when not using a cab simulator. Reference PA is great when trying to get the FOH sound through them or when using Helix to pump more than just guitar sound through it. Monitor mode is great for just what it says. It would be nice to make patches for specific applications and make sure the StageSource is in the right mode as needed.

I did this as a single feature request - there are others to bring Helix into better integration with StageSource and L6 Link enabled equipment. Would only make sense that interoperability would be a priority for Line 6 between their own equipment. Would definitely make more sales for people looking for an all in one solution.

Link to IdealScale:  https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/902174

I don't know whether Stagesource speakers have the capability to have their DSP settings changed remotely but I like the idea. Voted!

I don't know whether Stagesource speakers have the capability to have their DSP settings changed remotely but I like the idea. Voted!

They do - because the M20D does and I think the POD HD500X also has that capability.

Please support this excellent idea by @drutang to give the Headphone volume knob the option to be assigned to XLR, 1/4, etc. just as the main volume knob is currently configured. This would give us two easy to use, always available controls, for our stage and FOH volumes.

Vote it up!! https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/859679

Please support this excellent idea by @drutang to give the Headphone volume knob the option to be assigned to XLR, 1/4, etc. just as the main volume knob is currently configured. This would give us two easy to use, always available controls, for our stage and FOH volumes.

Vote it up!! https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/859679

I don't think this can be done, as I remember reading from someone at Line 6 that the headphone volume control is a separate circuit, and analog.

I don't think this can be done, as I remember reading from someone at Line 6 that the headphone volume control is a separate circuit, and analog.

Hmm, sorry to hear that. I would love to hear that confirmed by Line6 although maybe that is who the quote was from originally. Too bad if so because I think it would be a great alternative for the Headphones volume knob to be used on stage.

Yep... The headphone volume knob is the only analog pot on the Helix, actually.

You can send xlr OR 1/4 to the headphone jack. Then get one of these....

https://www.google.com/search?q=trs+to+ts+y+cable&tbm=shop&lsf=seller:12145,rt:4,pgb:1,cid:16323630426117729791,pid:2618604396819070981,oid:2155687329359429335&hl=en&ei=z6FjWdqkAYysjwS78L0Q&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwy4zLBRCOARIsADfss37cWA-XAcMDYZBCC0A-8C-9i2U8-HXCAF72IAv30QTlMFtwrBUpuBUaAmuqEALw_wcB

• Upvote 1

Just trying to have two easily accessible physical volume knobs, one for whatever you are using to monitor the signal on stage and the other for the level you are sending to FOH.

You don't need one for FOH. That's what the gain knob on the board is for...

You don't need one for FOH. That's what the gain knob on the board is for...

Many bands run their own sound from stage. Maybe you have a soundman that may not be paying attention or not giving the guitarist enough in the mix. A certain preset may not be leveled correctly and you need to quickly boost it. Reaching down and quickly having control over your FOH and stage mix can be a lot easier than navigating the board's controls or trying to get the soundman's attention. Generally the main large volume knob is assigned either to both FOH and your stage monitor or one or the other. The objective is to have two separate knobs that can control the FOH and stage mix independently.  The Headphones volume knob would have been a prime candidate for that setup if it was digitally routed rather than analog (probably had good reasons for this). It would be nice to have an extra digitally assigned volume control on the next version of the Helix.

Why would you do this, though? What problem are you solving?

I personally don't do this. Trying to give the OP I quoted a possible solution. I'm not sure how nice the headphone amp will play with gear inputs. Well padded it "should" work.

?