Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

Please support this excellent idea by @drutang to give the Headphone volume knob the option to be assigned to XLR, 1/4, etc. just as the main volume knob is currently configured. This would give us two easy to use, always available controls, for our stage and FOH volumes.

Vote it up!! https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/859679

This is the quote I meant

I personally don't do this. Trying to give the OP I quoted a possible solution. I'm not sure how nice the headphone amp will play with gear inputs. Well padded it "should" work.

?

I don't do this either, my master volume control has only the 1/4 ouput I run to my stage monitor assigned to it. The signal level going to the FOH is solely dependent on the preset's output level. I also share the same concern as you that using the headphone amp as my sound source might color or alter things in unpredictable ways. That is why, when needed, it would be nice to have an additional quick and easy independent digital volume control on the Helix such that one controls the stage monitor and one controls the FOH.

Note: I always appreciate someone providing a workaround even if it is not ideal for my purposes, if not me, it may help someone else. Thanks.  :)

An FX Send Block, before the Output Block, may be used. Alternatively, use another Signal Path and redefine the Output Block to use one of the FX Send outputs. Either method, will give you a Level control parameter for the Block that is adjustable via the Block's small rotary encoder knob for that parameter (and Pedal Edit Mode).

An FX Send Block, before the Output Block, may be used. Alternatively, use another Signal Path and redefine the Output Block to use one of the FX Send outputs. Either method, will give you a Level control parameter for the Block that is adjustable via the Block's small rotary encoder knob for that parameter (and Pedal Edit Mode).

Thanks, also a nice workaround for getting independent control of the two outputs. Sure, there are all kinds of options as soon as you start using the parameter knobs including just turning the 'Ch Vol' knob up or down, although that will affect both monitor and FOH volumes potentially forcing you to use the master volume in addition to dial one of them back. More importantly using a parameter knob requires having the correct block up on the screen or being in the right mode. The objective is to have an always available dedicated control like the Master volume. Don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill. I just think a design that provides a separate volume knob for both FOH and stage monitor is more ideal. Was hoping just enhancing the firmware for the Headphones knob would easily accomplish that but due to its apparent analog operation that seems unlikely.

One more idea:

I think the behaviour of knobs while changing parameter values should be improved in Helix.

Boss GT-100 does it way better in my opinion. If you move the knob slow you get a very precise adjust of the value, while if you move it fast the value is modified way faster.

Helix does something similar, but not so good in my opinion. It would be great if it was improved.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/902935

DESCRIPTION

Scene mode-

Allow for efx blocks to be swapped

Allow for efx blocks to 'trail' into updated block\

Example: Allows for new sets of efx blocks to be used in one patch

basically creating a way to switch 'patches' seamlessly by creating scenes of patches

Fairly sure this is a frequent request..

DESCRIPTION

Scene mode-

basically creating a way to switch 'patches' seamlessly by creating scenes of patches

Do you mean if you have, for example, a

delay block on preset1 and the same delay on preset2 that it should stay trailing between presets?

That would be cool. I can see maybe line 6 can load only different blocks between presets instead of dumping all and reloading all....

....but that may be impossible. I do not know the technical aspects of the system, chips, etc.....

DESCRIPTION

Scene mode-

Aren't you describing snapshots?

One more Idea:

It would be great to include a metronome in the looper and have the option to automatically snap the stop of recording to the closer bit, in such a way that the loops fit perfect in time.

The metronome could be controlled by tap switch.

It could be visual, blinking one of the free square spaces leff by looper controls.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/903640

Aren't you describing snapshots?

i think the difference is that his suggestion involves substituting blocks, it just turning them on and off.

It's not so much snapshots as gapless preset switching with spillover. Unfortunately, those were the issues that snapshots were created to address.

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to have a separate setting for the Helix FX Loop send and return jacks. This would allow us to appropriately match to what type of FX loop in on our amp when using the 4 Cable Method. Right now the send goes into the input of the amp and needs to be instrument level, but the return goes to the FX loop which may need to be either line or instrument level depending on the FX Loop in the amp. If the FX loop in the amp does not have a level switch for line/instrument, then this does not allow proper balancing.

Vote it up please!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/904384

• 3 weeks later...

Only thing I would upgrade on my Helix LT is looper and with these options :

1. Quantize

2. Save/Recall loops.

3. At least double looper duration (3x would be much better).

I think for these needs, you really will want to look into a dedicated looper. I just don't see this coming to Helix. most people do NOT need all the things you list, and the hardware was designed accordingly. For instance, the memory is not built-in to Helix to save or make the duration longer... it's just not in there, and no firmware update will change that.

I, too, love to use the looper in Helix, but am very close myself to maybe investing in the big Boss one.

I think for these needs, you really will want to look into a dedicated looper. I just don't see this coming to Helix. most people do NOT need all the things you list, and the hardware was designed accordingly. For instance, the memory is not built-in to Helix to save or make the duration longer... it's just not in there, and no firmware update will change that.

I, too, love to use the looper in Helix, but am very close myself to maybe investing in the big Boss one.

Hi Peter,

you said most people do not need these looper options, but following "youtube" and "the gear page" posts about modeling pedalboards (while I was trying to choose between Helix and Headrush) I've seen many posts where users complain about helix looper, and praising headrush looper. And most of my guitarist friends say that having an idea capture tool in moments of inspiration is very important. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think these upgrades are doable within existing hardware. At leas that is what I have red in one post on TGP forum (helix is built with some hardware reserve so new improvements are possible https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-vs-fractal-did-you-convert-to-the-other.1849863/page-3#post-24556448

Quote :"I know with Helix we have lots of headroom for further development because the architecture was designed with that in mind").

So I still have high hopes for better looper in Helix.

BR

Meshax

Hi Peter,

you said most people do not need these looper options, but following "youtube" and "the gear page" posts about modeling pedalboards (while I was trying to choose between Helix and Headrush) I've seen many posts where users complain about helix looper, and praising headrush looper. And most of my guitarist friends say that having an idea capture tool in moments of inspiration is very important. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think these upgrades are doable within existing hardware. At leas that is what I have red in one post on TGP forum (helix is built with some hardware reserve so new improvements are possible https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-vs-fractal-did-you-convert-to-the-other.1849863/page-3#post-24556448

Quote :"I know with Helix we have lots of headroom for further development because the architecture was designed with that in mind").

So I still have high hopes for better looper in Helix.

BR

Meshax

I wouldn't expect any upgrades to the looper as far as additional looping time and multi-track looping being added... Those are all a matter of the available memory and type of memory being used. Digital Igloo, the product manager, has basically said that the Helix architecture doesn't support that sort of advanced looping stuff. Now things like quantizing and tempo syncing, that might be possible...

I wouldn't expect any upgrades to the looper as far as additional looping time and multi-track looping being added... Those are all a matter of the available memory and type of memory being used. Digital Igloo, the product manager, has basically said that the Helix architecture doesn't support that sort of advanced looping stuff. Now things like quantizing and tempo syncing, that might be possible...

Well, that is really disappointing. The looper as it is now is pretty useless.  I might reconsider Headrush pedalboard again, because capturing idea while improvising is more important to me then 640 user presets. In that regard, Line 6 should tell us what options are not possible.  

Well, that is really disappointing. The looper as it is now is pretty useless.  I might reconsider Headrush pedalboard again, because capturing idea while improvising is more important to me then 640 user presets. In that regard, Line 6 should tell us what options are not possible.  

The looper is designed as a scratchpad. If you like the way Headrush sounds and works, then perhaps it's a viable alternative. I think it's horrendous in terms of workflow, woefully behind Helix in terms of tonal flexibility, and behind Helix (not as much) in terms of sound quality.

Again, I'd seriously consider adding a dedicated looper.

The Headrush doesn't have the ability to save or export loops either, as far as I can tell, so I guess I'm a little puzzled how it could be all that helpful as a recording tool in that regard. It just has a longer looping time. It does have the concept of layers of loops, but it's still not really a multi-track looper.

The loopers on these devices aren't really meant to compete with full-blown looper pedals, but you can still do cool stuff with them. The device I've most often seen used for live looping is still the good ol' DL4, and that is way more limited than the Helix's looper.

The looper as it is now is pretty useless. 

I use it all the time. A simple looper at the beginning (or other parts) of a signal chain allows for building preset tones without having to be playing constantly. I would guess that most Helix owners use the on board looper for this. I agree with PeterHamm and Phil_M, if I wanted anything beyond that, I would definitely integrate a dedicated looper pedal that has file management capatilites. 

phil_m is right, Headrush doesn't have save/recall option too. Didn't know that.

Well I guess, I'll have to use DAW to capture ideas, for now. But maybe Line 6 will surprise us :)

Still it would be good to add sync option at least.

Another idea: Compare button ->  like on Motif XF.

From Motif Manual : "The Compare function lets you switch between the just edited Voice and its original, unedited condition, allowing you to hear how your edits affect the sound."

If such option already exists, my aplogies.

Another idea: Compare button ->  like on Motif XF.

From Motif Manual : "The Compare function lets you switch between the just edited Voice and its original, unedited condition, allowing you to hear how your edits affect the sound."

I think this would be amazing.

no, it doesn't currently exist.

Another idea: Compare button -> like on Motif XF.

You mean like this?

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/820832

• 2 weeks later...

Posted an Idea to Ideascale to add "Setlists" to the Helix. A "Setlist" as differentiated from a "Bank" does not actually contain presets but is instead composed of pointers to the presets. This allows you to quickly set up a list for the presets for upcoming performances without having to go and physically move all of your presets around. Would love to see this on both the Helix and the Editor but I would probably use it mostly from the Editor. Please chime in with comments if you have some ideas on the best implementation. 

Vote for it here: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/911976

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for voting this one up! https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/911976

I edited this idea after rvroberts comments mentioning the value of offline functionality. Offline functionality for setlists, and generally for that matter, for as yet to be created other new features, could be a compelling incentive for users to purchase Native.

"Please add "Setlists" to the Helix. A "Setlist" is differentiated from a "Bank" as it does not actually contain presets but is instead composed of pointers to the presets. This allows you to quickly setup and title a list for just the presets for an upcoming performance without having to go and physically move and rearrange all of your presets in the Helix banks. A setlist utility would streamline the process of preparing for a performance - a point and click interface that allowed you to select from your available presets and quickly build setlists. Ideally this will include setlist editing capabilities on the Editor, offline functionality (Native maybe?), as well as directly on the Helix. True setlists would make a really nice addition to the Helix and might even provide more incentive to purchase Native as it is the most likely to include offline functionality."

• Upvote 2

Please please please give us a model of the Small Clone chorus.  That's all I wish for.   I have a REAL one but it has volume drop issues.   I have the model of it in a Zoom CDR70, which is spot on.    But would love to have it in the Helix!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Assign input signal dynamics as controller for parameters

Allow for assigning the input signal dynamics as a controller for parameters like mix, rate or depth on effects, such that the parameter value is set at a user-defined minimum setting at "rest" and is moved toward a user-defined maximum setting based on pick dynamics or guitar volume settings. Sensitivity and min/max parameter settings could be set in the controller assignment menu, similar to how expression pedal set up is handled. Applying this kind of interactive control to a tremolo rate, vibe depth, or Leslie speed to name a few applications would be so..... COOL!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/915433

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My latest idea. A preamp output boost.

What I’d like to be able to do is to get the power section saturating without having to set the input gain too high on the preamp. In fact, I’d like to be able to get nothing but power amp clipping with a fairly clean preamp driving it.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/916393