Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

I am using iOS QuantiLoop + AUM with the HELIX and would like to be able to send a dedicated pair of USB outputs - for example 7-8 to the HEADPHONE outputs.  This is for monitoring and pre-auditioning reasons. So that one can audition something on cans before opting to send it to the main outputs. 

Having the means to route USB 3/4 or 7/8  to one of the output jack pairs - or even the Headphone output would be really useful.  

Currently its possible to set up a kind of monitoring scheme but it has to be done for EVERY patch one is using. Instead - this needs to be assignable at GLOBAL level not just per-patch. 

This is especially useful for "live-electronica-jam" situations where one might be auditioning synth patches or loops generated in the iPad before making a choice and using one. 

I was thinking about how amazing it would be to have a more inspiring looper built into the helix. That got me thinking that a copy of the Gibson (originally oberheim) echoplex digital pro would not only give new life to an incredible obsolete instrument, it would also put a looper style back into the world that is mostly ignored by manufacturers.

Aurisis research is the company that designed the software. I believe they are currently giving away a software version of the EDP. Couldn't be that hard to implement.

IdeaScale suggestion: Command Center: option for FS LED to toggle even when MIDI assigned to a foot-switch isn't being sent in toggle mode. (i.e. its set to momentary )

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/918287

Some devices that can be controlled by MIDI commands - such as iOS loopers - expect MIDI Notes to be sent in MOMENTARY mode - not toggled. But the feature at the receiving end DOES toggle. However when pressing a stomp in MOMENTARY mode there is no visual indication of which mode the looper is in.
So even when a foot-switch is setup in Command Centre to send out MIDI Notes in momentary fashion - to have the option for the LED to toggle on and off each time the foot-switch is pressed would be really helpful.

So for example QUANTILOOP has a DUB button and mode. This can be toggled on and off - and there is a visual indicator of the mode in the QUANTILOOP app display. But unless there is an equivalent LED for the foot-switch which is sending NOTE or CC messages that toggles on or off then it isn't clear from looking at the HELIX as to which state the looper is in.

In Command-center: Allow two or more foot-switches to operate as radio-buttons

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/918350

Idea Actions

There are two scenarios in which it would be useful to two or more particular foot-switches as grouped "radio-buttons". 

1 ) when we have - for example three different delay blocks in a patch but only ever want to have one of them on at any time. hitting one of the grouped delay stomps would then automatically turn off the other two. 

2 ) Many functions in iOS apps and MIDI controlled devices have features best categorised and implemented as mutually exclusive radio buttons. For example A looper like Quantiloop in SERIAL mode - has just ONE of the three or four tracks selected ( ARMED ) at any one time. So to reflect this it would be helpful if only the LED on the currently selected footswitch as turned on - and the other ones off - in order to reflect what is going on in the iOS app itself. 

There are plenty of other scenarios where such groups of radio-button-style-operation footswitches are the best way to represent or control something when sending MIDI out.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/918350

CMD Centre Paste All Commands should paste footswitch names too.

Currently the feature to copy and paste all command centre MIDI commands ( via Commend Centre: Action button ) pastes all the MIDI command info into a preset - but not the names of any footswitches that have been renamed. Instead - If for example one has assigned several foot switches to send MIDI Note data - the Paste All Commands facility simply names every stomp with "Note". 

It would be really REALLY useful if scribble-strip labels were also able to be copied and pasted along with the settings assigned to each

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/918474

Unless I'm missing something, Helix Native can't restore from a hardware Helix backup file (new backup feature in HX Edit 2.30 and above).

It would be great to have this feature, as well as the ability to create an HX Edit compatible backup file from Helix Native. This would make it a lot easier to keep the hardware Helix in sync with the Native plug-in, especially if you use your DAW on a desktop as well as a laptop - keeping them all in sync gets harder.

But having a single file to backup from one and restore to the other would make it a lot easier because there would just be one thing to backup and restore, and it would also keep the set-list order and IR list order intact. Sharing across devices would be a lot easier.

I searched Ideascale and didn't find anything relevant, so I made this Ideascale request:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/918622

Please vote it up if this would be of interest to you.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We should be able to access the acoustic input jack and parameters on the back of a L2t via the Helix (Piezo guitar or accoustic). This way we can run Helix effects with the acoustic

Get some acoustic guitar IR that are out there, some for free, but the best for a very small price from 3 Sigma.

Those, plus some comp/eq and maybe the Studio Tube Pre, are way better than any of the acoustic effects they've had in anything before... ever...

Get some acoustic guitar IR that are out there, some for free, but the best for a very small price from 3 Sigma.

Those, plus some comp/eq and maybe the Studio Tube Pre, are way better than any of the acoustic effects they've had in anything before... ever...

Yeah, I have those, but they don't sound authentic. If I A/B back and forth the sound of the L2t modeler is much better than any IR including Sigma etc... Seems like a simple fix but nothing is easy, I know.

Thanks Peter for getting back so quickly.

Hey, can't I just run the 1/4" out into the back of the L2t?

One better. A Keeley modded blues driver!

So way back on page 6 is a mention of the BD2, or the Keeley modded BD2.  I would add to these the Keeley Super Phat Mod, Keeley's take on an ideal BD2.  I would love to see these pedals, and I'm really surprised there isn't more clamor for it.  The IdeaScale submission has a paltry 4 votes, counting the one I just put in.  After heading Andy Timmons use of the BD2, I've fallen in love with the thing, and I started noticing it on more and more players' boards.  Equipboard lists 93 pros who have at least been spotted with one - not that having a bunch of users automatically makes it awesome, but such a widely used pedal would make a great addition to the Helix.  

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Boss-BD-2-Blues-Driver/919195-23508

http://equipboard.com/items/boss-bd-2-blues-driver

Was thinking the other day some side chain filtering options on the compressors would be awesome.

A true clean boost and out and out treble boost in the distortion section.

Some Diezel-esque amp models (VH4, Herbert) and some Friedman Esque (BE100, Dirty Shirly, Buxom Betty, JJ).

• Like 1

the most truest CLEAN boost you could have already exists in the HELIX. Its the GAIN block.   And if you want a little tone adjustment at the same time - just use one of the EQ blocks and set the gain and EQ settings as you like.    You can't get more clean than that.

The Kinky Boost that was added in 2.30, which is a model of the Xotic Effects EP Booster, is a very nice clean boost... Although, technically, I suppose it's not entirely "clean", as it's a model of the Echoplex preamp. But, ironically, when guitarists use the term "clean boost", they don't want a pure clean boost...

The Kinky Boost that was added in 2.30, which is a model of the Xotic Effects EP Booster, is a very nice clean boost... Although, technically, I suppose it's not entirely "clean", as it's a model of the Echoplex preamp. But, ironically, when guitarists use the term "clean boost", they don't want a pure clean boost...

Not sure if this is the right place/way to do this, but :

Was programming a sound last night and thinking "what I need to  do is modulate these filter's with a global style LFO". Couldn't find one!!!!

Could we add global style modulators, etc. One of the things that Guitar Rig & Fractals have over the Helix, is the things like global step sequencers and LFO type stuff.

cheers

Frank

• Upvote 1

I would love to have a footswitch assigned for bypassing an effect while you are editing it in Pedal Edit Mode. That way I can be making changes to the effect and bypass it from that screen to see how it compares to the sound with it off. Now I have to bend down and use the button on the unit for Bypass, which kind of defeats using pedal edit mode. 

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Bypass-footswitch-in-Pedal-Edit-Mode/920150-23508

• Thanks 1

For a HELIX II - Add a second USB B socket so both Mac/PC and iPad can be connected to the HELIX at the same time. 

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HELIX-II-Add-second-USB-B-socket-for-Mac-PC-AND-iPad-routing/920345-23508#idea-tab-comments

This would do away with the need for an external mixer and also allow more complex routing/recording setups. Both at home and in live performance situations 

This would give a little of what currently only an iConnectivity box offers. And obviously require a bit more DSP/CPU power - but the advantages of being able to connect a PC/Mac AND an iOS ( or android but who uses android for music?? ) device at the same time are immense. Being able to edit HELIX patches and setups on HELIX HX Edit while still having my iPad or iPhone device attached and working. Or using a DAW with the HELIX at the same time as using apps such as Quantiloop etc. Or even when wanting to record a live performance into a DAW or vide recorder with a digital audio feed from the HELIX while also using an iOS app for something. 

In my home setup i am forever having to switch between Mac and iPad using lots of cables - a USB switcher etc etc - or just the usual plugging-unplugging scenario - because in my rig i prefer to get by with NO mixer - and a purely digital audio path right up to the XLR outputs that feed my powered speaker-monitors. 

A HELIX II with this feature would eliminate a lot of clutter AND hassle.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HELIX-II-Add-second-USB-B-socket-for-Mac-PC-AND-iPad-routing/920345-23508#idea-tab-comments

Hi any chance you could implement midi"delay"to the instant commands, the reason I ask is that I need to send midi CCs just after a program change message.

When the Helix sends a midi program change and a midi CC at the same time to my GR-55 the GR-55 does not get the midi CC because the patch in the GR-55 needs time to initialise. it would be fantastic if this could happen.

Cheers Roy

Helix:  Footswitch Navigation Upgrade: Setlists, Scrolling, Last

Please vote for this, all ye who need live performance flexibility!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Helix-Footswitch-Navigation-Upgrade-Setlists-Scrolling-Last/920542-23508#idea-tab-comments

These items are a way of adding more functionality to footswitch navigation:

• Use footswitches to navigate and select from different setlists:

- From MODE, select new footswitch mode: "Setlist Select" [OR hold FS6 and FS12 to enter 'Setlist Select' special mode]

- FS2-FS5, FS8-FS11 are setlist names (1-8), FS6=mode, FS12=tuner

- stomp on desired setlist

- now FS1-FS5, FS7-FS11 become 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0

- Stomp on first two digits of desired Preset (numbers display on screen while stomping) for example, "30"

- once the two digits are entered, FS1, FS7 become bank up and down, FS2-FS5 display Present Names for 30A, 30B 30C, 30D, and FS8-FS11 display Preset names for 29A-D. (now in normal Preset select mode) Stomp desired Preset.

• Also, allow holding of Bank Up or Bank Down to scroll through the banks, or regardless of mode, allow the up/down buttons to be held for scrolling - slow enough to at least read the nearby FS2 scribble strip to determine if the switch should be released at the desired bank.

• "LAST" function: In preset mode, as normal, select the Preset desired - let's say 16B. After that, select another Preset - 22A. As normal, the selected preset is highlighted. Tap on the highlighted 22A again, it takes you instantly back to 16B. Hit 16B again, it takes you back to 22A

Current navigation between setlists and between preset banks is simple, but not helpful for live performance. I cannot always plan on a specific setlist for a specific event - song selection can happen on the fly. Long time ago I had a digitech RP12, where I could enter into a mode that allowed me to punch in the numbers with my feet - have not seen that ability in a multifx system since - and I sorely miss it.

The other issue is with stomp switches, in quiet situations it creates a lot of noise if I have to stomp to get to a Preset at the polar opposite end of the list. Being able to hold and scroll would help mitigate that.

If I have the opportunity to be completely creative, such as an unscripted worship time, I need to be able to quickly call up a particular sound that may be on a different setlist, and then I also likely would need the ability to quickly snap back to the Preset I was on before - hence the need for the 'Last' function.

Anyone in a worship band, anyone in a cover band taking requests, or anyone who likes being creative on the fly in a live setting would love to have these functionalities.

Thank you Line 6 - Loving my Helix!

How about a nice Roland RE-201 or 301 Space Echo model?  That way you get two really different types of tape echo's on the Helix.  You can have the EP3 sim for a dark and warm vibe and you can have Space echo for a more cutting tape sound.   

How about a nice Roland RE-201 or 301 Space Echo model? That way you get two really different types of tape echo's on the Helix. You can have the EP3 sim for a dark and warm vibe and you can have Space echo for a more cutting tape sound.

Wish granted: Cosmos Echo is an RE-201.

I am absolutely stunned by the quality of the Helix interface into my DAW.   There is a significant difference (to me) between all my other audio interfaces and Helix - when I first auditioned the LT some months ago, I noticed it immediately.

(Note: I am a nylon string Flamenco guitarist with active pickups, so am kind of niche, but I have been through the effect wars, and together with FRFR speakers becoming more and more common, and pickups/preamps for Nylon string guitars finally coming into their own (Takamine, Cordoba/Fishman) most of my sound problems have been finally SOLVED.. after struggling for 45+ years... at least at low levels up to coffee house gigs... and Flamenco dance classes... clear.png

I don't know if this makes sense, but I suggest Line 6 to produce a new audio interface to replace the Pod Studio series (not necessarily tied to Native, but with the same hardware/software interface as Helix for input parameter adjustment, and maybe even the same I/O as Helix or the LT.)  I think the hardware interface is THAT good in my experience, although I admit I haven't tried any of the really high end alternatives - my reference point is the GT-001 and the Focusrite 2i2 (new drivers), with which I was more than satisfied until I auditioned the LT.

I think it would enhance even the Pod Farm series (which is no slouch), but would also make the interface applicable to other modelers besides Native.

I love and respect Boss, Bias, and all (well, ok, most) of the others, and this may be subjective, but Line 6 hit it out of the park with Helix/LT from my perspective.

I wish that in multitap delays all taps could be changed in notes and not just scale %. Scale % doesn't tell me anything really.

I just got the Helix, but I have had Axe Fx for 7 years, and this thing was some of the first things I noticed.

It's fairly easy to know though, isn't it? I mean, if you have a 1/4 note and want an 1/8 note, it's 50%, if you want a 1/16, it's 25%, if you want dotted eighth, it's 75%. 

I use it to do a stereo wide delay, so when I use this feature, it's at 97 or 98% personally.