Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

For existing Helix Floor/LT:
- More looping SubPaths (1C, 1D, 1E)

- Feedback routing for loop paths
- Routing of Send, Return, FxLoop blocks to USB busses
- Some new decent XXI century quality sounding reverbs (or New Old Stock refubished Modern Vintage emulations ;)

For future version:
- Lowering weight to 1kg while preserving footprint
- Self containg folding roadcase with handle
- touch display covering >50% of the unit surface
- 6 hours built in battery operation
- Ten/twenty times more processing power
- Additional heel switch for EXP pedal
- Touch activated EXP pedal switch
- Wireless communication for MIDI/OSC controll
- Additional wireless receiver for guitar input (while transmitter should still be optional for 200$ ;)
-  Audio network interface (like AES67)
-  Routing of Send, Return, FxLoop blocks to audio network busses
- Loading of VST, AU, AAX, UAD, Strymon plugins as DSP Blocks (virtual instruments too of course)
- (Let's hope Kemper like impulse technology will be finally common as software)
- Lowering Round Trip Latency to microseconds range
- Infrared "theremin like" foot or hand controller (or two of them ;)

- "Find my Helix" feature
- "Find me The Preset that make me famous and rich"  feature
- "Teach me how to play" feature :D

Cheers!

Really been wanting some of the high gain stalwarts to make an appearance:

-VHT/ Fryette Pittbull

-Rivera Knucklehead

-Randall Satan or any Fortin amp for that matter

And then there's any number of boutique high gain amp manufacturers (i.e. KSR, Peters, Splawn) that would be nice to see

Globally bypass cab blocks.

Ability to assign a particular cab block IR to all patches globally if cabs not globally bypassed.

I only use cab blocks for output to PA signals.  For factory patches, I have to disable the cab and save patch, or change amp model to one without built-in cab. Not for everyone, but a little time-saver for us no-cab limited-cab folks.

Low Latency driver for Windows

Current (2.70 firmware) version of ASIO driver for Windows is in 10-36ms Round Trip Latency range.

https://line6.com/support/topic/37727-helix-as-audio-interface-round-trip-latency/

Helix hardware is awesome sounding audio interface and deservs low latency driver in 5-18ms range (for the same buffer sizes)

Please vote!

On 11/25/2018 at 3:26 PM, zolko60 said:

Rotovibe is basically Univibe clone with rate set to pedal.

Specifications publishing of I/O imedances, FS levels etc.

Specification like input and outputs impedancies, full scale input levels, maximum wattage of headphones is worth publishing.

Except it doesn't sound like a Univibe.  At all.

Urgently needed: Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer compressor with blend option, Urei 1176 compressor with blend option, Vemuram Jan Ray overdrive, Lovepedal Super Six Stevie Mod overdrive, Lovetone Big Cheese Fuzz, Marshall Bluesbreaker overdrive or Analogman King of Tone, Fender Princeton amp blackface 1x10 or silverface custom '68 (excellent amp), Eminence Ragin' Cajun 10" speaker, Celestion Alnico Silver Bell speaker 12" (Vox 60ies AC30).

Mercy !!!! 

54 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

You can go ahead and idea scale that, but they've explained why that's problematic, if even possible, as the amp models they use now have much that is tied between the two parts of the amp.

Totally new models of a preamp and a separate power amp might be possible, though.

Hi, I made a request to remove (or make smaller) the snapshot camera logo on the displays next to the switches. 1 of the reasons I bought the helix is the small displays next to the switches. Since preset mode is not usable in a live situation, I'm using snapshots as most people here... What annoys me is that in preset mode we have 2 lines of text per display, while in snapshot mode only 1 line and that stupid camera logo is taking up 1/3 of each display. And we do see that we are in snapshot mode as the camera logo is also visible on the helix main display top right corner.

This is the link to the Line6 ideascale: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Remove-snapshot-camera-logo-and-give-us-2-lines-of-text-instead/945232-23508#idea-tab-comments

I would appreciate some extra votes on this topic. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

What do you think about :

Tempo controled by exp pedal (like the sonuus FX)

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Tempo-controled-by-exp-pedal/945391-23508?submitted=1#idea-tab-comments

And please don't forget my other submission. Nobody but me need this. But it's really important if one day you want use the tempo sync!!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-real-time-message-to-control-center/935160-23508#idea-tab-comments

Thank you

8 hours ago, flop54 said:

What do you think about :

Tempo controled by exp pedal (like the sonuus FX)

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Tempo-controled-by-exp-pedal/945391-23508?submitted=1#idea-tab-comments

While you can't control the BPM with an expression pedal, you can control any other parameter you have synced with the tempo with an expression pedal.

When I'm using the looper, I'd really like some sort of visual display showing how much time is left on the looper. With the Ditto and it's 5 minutes of looping time, I don't need to think about how much time is left, but with the Helix (LT and Stomp) there's only 60 seconds available (max) and it'd be nice as I'm recording a loop to see how much time I have left so I know how much of a phrase or idea I can put down.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Make it more compatible to 3rd-party expression pedals.  Funny cables, DIY mods to existing cables or pedals, setting parameters backwards make it a hassle to use easily available external expression pedals with Helix rack controller.

Edited by MikeDV1
added words

6 hours ago, MikeDV1 said:

Make it more compatible to 3rd-party expression pedals.  Funny cables, DIY mods to existing cables or pedals, setting parameters backwards make it a hassle to use easily available external expression pedals with Helix rack controller.

I have 4 different brands and styles of EXP here, not one of them is specific to Helix, and 2 or 3 need to be used with some kind of (easily made) custom cable because they have a TRS connection (there is nothing Line 6 can do about such pedals).

I've been able to pretty easily make them all work. imho, they have done everything they can with regard to this, and for the record, the most recent bug fix actually made two of these EXP pedals work that didn't used to, so they are, indeed, doing something behind the scenes in this regard.

That said, some will simply not be compatible. There is really no way to mitigate that.

Seems we can make them work, somehow.  And true, compatibility for all is probably not easily obtained.  There are quirks with most of the MIDI controllers.  Personal issue - I have an EB Jr. volume pedal, IN/OUT/Tuner 1/4" connections.  I plug a TRS on one end/TS x 2 on the other end into the Helix controller (I've got the rack setup) - obviously the TRS goes into the EXP 1 (or 2 or 3) on the controller.  If I plug both TS into the pedal, it's crazy time, a huge variety of responses on the controlled block (Volume).  OK, remove one (I forget which one), and the pedal works - almost.  Push the heel down, and it will go to about 5-20% and kind of fluctuates, until you smash on the pedal, then it will go to 0.  Seems like a pedal/pot problem.  Plug that same pedal/TRS into the back of the Helix rack itself, and it works perfectly - 0-100%, no fluctutation, rock steady - kind of rules out the problem in the expression pedal.  Crap, another cable.  Next, got an older Mission SP-1 pedal, works backwards.  Reverse polarity inside the Helix, no change.  Change the specific parameter from 0-100 to 100-0, then it works - but can't do that universally.  Try one of my Rocktron Hex pedals, and there's no number that is overlooked as you rock the pedal back and forth - totally unusable.  These types of quirks are on most MIDI controller, but the Helix seems to have a number of them, and for my application, have one of the worst on the foot controller.  I haven't tried the Rocktron or Mission directly into the rack unit, but kind of disappointed that one of the big advantages of the rack/controller unit (only a single cable) now requires more cabling.  

Just guessing, 'cuz I'm not that educated about the tech aspect - but it seems returning to some more software controls - along with polarity, calibration, maybe type compatibility, maybe a control over where the pedal moves to relative to the amount it controls the software (like a competitior does it) - something other than it just stares at you malfunctioning, and the one software control available does nothing.  Considering paying attention to exactly which pot works with the Helix and putting them into my Hex Pedals.  But - more hassle, more expense, and at this point not confident it would work through my foot controller unit.  I know there are issues reported in the floor unit, but my rack/controller unit has this added bug as described above with my EB pedal.  I did see one post that gave pretty detailed instructions how to modify a Mission pedal, and may give that a try.  But, isn't that what this idea scale thing is about - suggestions for improvement?

15 minutes ago, MikeDV1 said:

Seems we can make them work, somehow.  And true, compatibility for all is probably not easily obtained.  There are quirks with most of the MIDI controllers.  Personal issue - I have an EB Jr. volume pedal, IN/OUT/Tuner 1/4" connections.  I plug a TRS on one end/TS x 2 on the other end into the Helix controller (I've got the rack setup) - obviously the TRS goes into the EXP 1 (or 2 or 3) on the controller.  If I plug both TS into the pedal, it's crazy time, a huge variety of responses on the controlled block (Volume).  OK, remove one (I forget which one), and the pedal works - almost.  Push the heel down, and it will go to about 5-20% and kind of fluctuates, until you smash on the pedal, then it will go to 0.  Seems like a pedal/pot problem.  Plug that same pedal/TRS into the back of the Helix rack itself, and it works perfectly - 0-100%, no fluctutation, rock steady - kind of rules out the problem in the expression pedal.  Crap, another cable.  Next, got an older Mission SP-1 pedal, works backwards.  Reverse polarity inside the Helix, no change.  Change the specific parameter from 0-100 to 100-0, then it works - but can't do that universally.  Try one of my Rocktron Hex pedals, and there's no number that is overlooked as you rock the pedal back and forth - totally unusable.  These types of quirks are on most MIDI controller, but the Helix seems to have a number of them, and for my application, have one of the worst on the foot controller.  I haven't tried the Rocktron or Mission directly into the rack unit, but kind of disappointed that one of the big advantages of the rack/controller unit (only a single cable) now requires more cabling.  

It comes down to a hardware difference. The fact of the matter is Line 6 using (and always has used) a simple TS circuit for their expression pedals. The vast majority of other manufacturers are using a TRS scheme. This Strymon article from a few years ago explains how a TRS expression pedal works. Basically, a TRS pedal works by "seeing" the voltage coming back on the tip  (the control voltage from pedal is sent out on the ring). Line 6 pedals are simply sensing the voltage on the tip. The potentiometer in the pedal is acting like voltage sink. This means that Line 6 pedals are more sensitive to the value of the potentiometer in the pedal. The Helix accounts for this somewhat through auto-calibration, and some TRS pedals seem to work, but other will never work.

This is a typical schematic for a TRS expression pedal:

expression_pedal_sch-1.gif

This is the schematic for a Line 6 expression pedal:

exp_pedal.jpg&key=380cb5e6425a92b85e2d00

• Like 1

Hi,

i am new to the Helix family and would like to observe (and maybe contribute to) the further evolution of the system.

How do I become a ideascale member?

I already registered my email adress (4 days ago) but didn't receive any mail ...

Does it just need some time or is there anything else i should do?

Greets Simon

On 12/13/2018 at 11:04 PM, phil_m said:

While you can't control the BPM with an expression pedal, you can control any other parameter you have synced with the tempo with an expression pedal.

Yes but i think it's less specific, more complicated and if you use the helix to sync another fx it's dosen't work.

As a newbie to Helix HX Stomp, it would be really helpful if I could customise the LED colour for Snapshots because I use that facility (during gigs) as a 'quick glance reference' for the number & type of snapshots that I've set up for each preset e.g. (1)clean (2)crunch (3) lead OR (1)clean (2) lead etc. - I've asked if it can be done on another thread but the absence of responses lead me to believe that it isn't currently possible ... so, please add it to the next update, thank you

Not sure if this has been submitted before, I couldn't find anything, BUT it's the ONE thing I think is missing from the HX Effects, and that's the ability to use a Expression Pedal with a toe switch.... It can be done in the Rack Mount Helix and HX Stomp so why not bring it to the HX Effects, assuming all that's needed is a software change.... 

any way... if you like the idea... give it a vote up

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Toe-Switch-function-for-HX-Effects-Expression-Pedal/946748-23508#idea-tab-details