Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

Having to continually nudge that Multi Select knob probably leads to its premature failure AND it’s so tedious. 
I think I have a better idea. 
Allow us to assign a specific effects block to each of the 6 knobs under the screen. 
I already submitted the idea. 
https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Assign-specific-effects-blocks-to-each-knob-under-the-screen/970702-23508?submitted=1

• Upvote 2

Most excellent idea. For me, the multifunctional "joystick" (which it actually even isn't) happens to be the most critical thing on the Helix (and, pardon me, an almost proveably bad design decision serving pretty much no purpose).

Hence, I welcome everything allowing me to use it less.

And while we're at it, I wish one could enter a custom mode for the 6 knobs, allowing you to assign them to any parameter (or even multiple ones) in a patch.

I will vote the idea up and post the other one as soon as I'm back home.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hideout said:

Having to continually nudge that Multi Select knob probably leads to its premature failure AND it’s so tedious.

Just messed up a patch - again, I should say. Hadn't booted the computer and was fooling around with the joystick. Accidentally turned it one notch - *BLAM*, all the settings of the previously loaded block gone. Apart from the joystick making no sense at all anyway, this is probably the most annoying shortcoming, especially as - due to the thing being *far* away from military grade or anything - there's less and less resistance when turning it around, it's simply wearing out. I absolutely can't understand why that design was chosen - I mean, it involves forces being applied in 7 different directions, which is what you would probably do to losen a rotten screw. For any hardware to stand this over a longer period of time, that very hardware needed to be super heavy duty. Which the joystick isn't.

I should possibly open an Ideascale request for "no joystick in Helix V2 anymore".

Anyway, just placed the idea for customized knobs on Ideascale:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Customized-Knob-Parameters/970727-23508?submitted=1

There could be an additional mode for the 6 knobs below the screen, allowing for customization. Could work pretty much in the same way as with the switches, it should be possible to route any number of parameters (or their offsets) to the knobs. That would make quick patch adjustments super easy as one could just route the most relevant parameters onto the knobs (which could of course be spread over multiple pages).

Just imagine being able to control the balance of your amp channels with one knob, the reverb/delay amounts or balances and what not - without ever having to select a block at all.

Think of it as "smart controls" which some of you might be familiar with regarding certain software synths already.

This would possibly help to avoid using the joystick a whole lot.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Just messed up a patch - again, I should say. Hadn't booted the computer and was fooling around with the joystick. Accidentally turned it one notch - *BLAM*, all the settings of the previously loaded block gone. Apart from the joystick making no sense at all anyway, this is probably the most annoying shortcoming, especially as - due to the thing being *far* away from military grade or anything - there's less and less resistance when turning it around, it's simply wearing out. I absolutely can't understand why that design was chosen - I mean, it involves forces being applied in 7 different directions, which is what you would probably do to losen a rotten screw. For any hardware to stand this over a longer period of time, that very hardware needed to be super heavy duty. Which the joystick isn't.

I should possibly open an Ideascale request for "no joystick in Helix V2 anymore".

Anyway, just placed the idea for customized knobs on Ideascale:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Customized-Knob-Parameters/970727-23508?submitted=1

This would possibly help to avoid using the joystick a whole lot.

I’ve trashed a relatively major edit because of the joystick so many times myself. It’s especially ridiculous when you’re hunched over with a guitar between your lap and your belly.  Gah!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hideout said:

I’ve trashed a relatively major edit because of the joystick so many times myself. It’s especially ridiculous when you’re hunched over with a guitar between your lap and your belly.  Gah!

Precisely. You need to remember to save after each and every relevant edit. Shouldn't be required. And, I kid you not, this is at least a part of the reasons why I will purchase a convertible/2-in-1 laptop somewhen next year. With that, I can have HX Edit with me everywhere and don't need to touch the joystick ever again. Well, maybe L6 comes up with a stripped down mobile editor in the meantime (wouldn't have to be a full editor, just allowing for block edits, skipping the basic layout editing and such). Would love that.

• 2 weeks later...

IR-s Used in Presets.

Would be a great help to have a quick overview of which IR-s are used in presets and which aren't.
Something simple like an asterisk before name or a different colour.

Right now it's difficult to know which IR-s you can safely replace without breaking the existing presets.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rogbhw80 said:

The ability to delete Presets in HX Edit. Having to paste over with a blank preset to remove one you have imported and want to remove is a timewaster.

Please implement Delete! Thx In Adv.

Can you provide more details on exactly how you would like this delete function to operate?

Here is the current procedure to replace a preset:

1) select the replacement preset (in this case, presumably a New Preset)

2) Click on the Copy button

3) Select the destination preset (the one you want to replace)

4) Click on the Paste button

5) Confirm your intent to replace the preset

Seems to me that steps 3 through 5 are still necessary for a Delete operation, except the Paste button would be replaced by a new Delete button which would have to be added somewhere to the set of clickable things. A new button is required because you don't want to remove the Copy/Paste function which is useful for more than deleting a preset. So the 'timewaster' is Steps 1 and 2. Essentially you want the Delete operation to automatically load a New Preset in the Paste buffer for you in readiness for the replacement?  Two extra clicks doesn't seem like a big deal to me and not worth the implementation effort, especially when you consider that you can do bulk replacements (select several contiguous New Presets and in one operation Copy/Past them over another set of the same number of existing presets). But feel free to add it to Ideascale.

What you DON'T want to do is physically delete the preset from the list and start moving other presets around (e.g. to delete preset 1A, have 1B 'move up' into its slot and have everything from 1C to 32D move up with it, creating a New Preset in 32D.

3 hours ago, rogbhw80 said:

The ability to delete Presets in HX Edit. Having to paste over with a blank preset to remove one you have imported and want to remove is a timewaster.

Please implement Delete! Thx In Adv.

There is also a clear all blocks option.

• Upvote 1

Just if you missed and you are interessed in saving some DSP power on HX Stomp, I've posted an idea about enabling low resolution 512 sample IRs.

This should save 4-5% of DSP power that are a precious buffer of DSP power for delays, reverbs and drives.

More details here:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HX-Stomp-512-samples-IRs-to-save-DSP/971779-23508

Thank you!

On 1/8/2020 at 4:53 PM, silverhead said:

Can you provide more details on exactly how you would like this delete function to operate?

Here is the current procedure to replace a preset:

1) select the replacement preset (in this case, presumably a New Preset)

2) Click on the Copy button

3) Select the destination preset (the one you want to replace)

4) Click on the Paste button

5) Confirm your intent to replace the preset

Seems to me that steps 3 through 5 are still necessary for a Delete operation, except the Paste button would be replaced by a new Delete button which would have to be added somewhere to the set of clickable things. A new button is required because you don't want to remove the Copy/Paste function which is useful for more than deleting a preset. So the 'timewaster' is Steps 1 and 2. Essentially you want the Delete operation to automatically load a New Preset in the Paste buffer for you in readiness for the replacement?  Two extra clicks doesn't seem like a big deal to me and not worth the implementation effort, especially when you consider that you can do bulk replacements (select several contiguous New Presets and in one operation Copy/Past them over another set of the same number of existing presets). But feel free to add it to Ideascale.

What you DON'T want to do is physically delete the preset from the list and start moving other presets around (e.g. to delete preset 1A, have 1B 'move up' into its slot and have everything from 1C to 32D move up with it, creating a New Preset in 32D.

Hi thanks for replying, I have never used an editing program without a Delete function, not sure why it seems so weird!

OK, I had all the presets full of different ones I was trying. After this I wanted them gone and blanks in their place, so I found and downloaded a Blank Preset, as I didn't have one saved. That way I know how many empty spaces I have on my HXS, I don't want a load of never used presets around, so yes, like you said I want to Delete a preset and have an empty space there with a new Blank Preset. No I don't want them moving around changing the order.

Thanks again and I appreciate your thoughts

Add the possibility in Settings to assign the Up and Down Switches as additional Snap Shot switches.

This would be awesome, the 10 snap shot switches on the board. I like to work mostly with one preset, to keep it simple and get better sound and volume balance. Two more Snap Shot buttons would be useful and I personally don't use the up and down switches. (selecting other presets with the control button / wheel). They are like unused capacity on the board...

2 hours ago, tk78 said:

Add the possibility in Settings to assign the Up and Down Switches as additional Snap Shot switches.

This would be awesome, the 10 snap shot switches on the board. I like to work mostly with one preset, to keep it simple and get better sound and volume balance. Two more Snap Shot buttons would be useful and I personally don't use the up and down switches. (selecting other presets with the control button / wheel). They are like unused capacity on the board...

Not sure why you want 10 Snapshot footswitches when there is a maximum of 8 snapshots per preset. Why/how would this be useful?

1 hour ago, silverhead said:

Not sure why you want 10 Snapshot footswitches when there is a maximum of 8 snapshots per preset. Why/how would this be useful?

Fwiw, would be quite nice if the number of snapshots could be raised to any multiplier of 8. The up/down switches could then just take you to the next snapshot page.

Hi,

I normally don't use the up and down switches, and they are there. If those could be utilized as additional Snap Shot switches would be great, of course hoping for max. 10 snapshots then :-D. Just gives more options within one Preset. Multiples with selection comes close to changing to new presets. Personally trying to keep it simple to one Preset, because the balancing of volumes becomes more tedious with increased no. of presets...

Cheers,

Thomas

1 hour ago, tk78 said:

I normally don't use the up and down switches, and they are there. If those could be utilized as additional Snap Shot switches would be great, of course hoping for max. 10 snapshots then :-D. Just gives more options within one Preset. Multiples with selection comes close to changing to new presets. Personally trying to keep it simple to one Preset, because the balancing of volumes becomes more tedious with increased no. of presets...

I would like 10 snapshots, too.
The announced 2.9 update will allow you to select snapshots in stomp mode (via Command Center), so you could theoretically have 10 snapshots - but you'd lose stomp mode in that case, which I personally don't want at all.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, JaH337 said:

Hi all,

Somehow this pedal evaded my awareness, it's badass and covers a lot of ground..

TWA minimorph wave shaper:

My oh my, what a lovely beast!

Unfortunately, I can't vote it up as my absolute personal priorities are usability things that I'd like to see before anything else.

Mute block would be quite useful.

Setting up the Pearce BC-1 paths to work like my physical unit, so I can have AorB and A&B. Just bypassing the preamp leaves the raw signal flowing though. My work around has been to insert a Noise Gate block on both paths with the output turned all the way down, and merge those with the preamp bypass switch. When the preamp goes off, the gate comes on and "mutes" that path. When the preamp comes on, the NG is switched to bypass.

Still awaiting approval for access to IdeaScale.

35 minutes ago, PaulJSmith said:

Mute block would be quite useful.

Setting up the Pearce BC-1 paths to work like my physical unit, so I can have AorB and A&B. Just bypassing the preamp leaves the raw signal flowing though. My work around has been to insert a Noise Gate block on both paths with the output turned all the way down, and merge those with the preamp bypass switch. When the preamp goes off, the gate comes on and "mutes" that path. When the preamp comes on, the NG is switched to bypass.

Still awaiting approval for access to IdeaScale.

There's no need for an additional Mute block. Just use a Volume block and remove the controller assignment. Set the Position parameter to 0, and voila, it's now a Mute block.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It will be great to have the possibility to mix the cab sound with direct sound within the cab block (or amp+cab block) without doing a parallel path with a cab in path A and DI in path B. 
It will be similar to IR's mix parameter. This could be useful for example for bassists who want to blend the "DI signal" from the amp block with the cab sound.
I tried to do it with parallel paths but I always had phase issue, losing all the bottom end (I tried to flip polarity but it still sounds weaks and wierd).

• 2 weeks later...

May have been mentioned already, but I would like the ability to have an assignable momentary function on snapshots.  Hold the footswitch takes you to the alt mode of the snapshot, so you could put a momentary boost on any snapshot, or some washy reverb and delay, and then you release and it goes off.  Basically would double the options with snapshots.  If you only need chorus on 4 bars of a verse, just hold that snapshot down rather than having a snapshot taken up with verse with chorus

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, narichey81 said:

May have been mentioned already, but I would like the ability to have an assignable momentary function on snapshots.  Hold the footswitch takes you to the alt mode of the snapshot, so you could put a momentary boost on any snapshot, or some washy reverb and delay, and then you release and it goes off.  Basically would double the options with snapshots.  If you only need chorus on 4 bars of a verse, just hold that snapshot down rather than having a snapshot taken up with verse with chorus

Wouldn't it be better to have a "second" function without having to hold the snapshot switch? I mean, ok, so far we have the options "recall" and "alternate" when pressing a snapshot switch. I'd like to see a third "second" option, which could just call up another snapshot. Boss does it like that with their GTs and it's excellent.

Here are my ideas:

Allow HX Stomp FS1+2/2+3 to do preset up/down (should be super easy to implement):

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HX-Stomp-FS1+2-preset-down-FS2+3-preset-up/974268-23508

Make tool tips for all parameters in HX Edit (should take an intern a couple of days, maybe, to write everything down):

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HX-Edit-tool-tips-for-all-parameters/974633-23508

Make the 1 switch looper more usable by increasing the time for the double click (should take developers only a couple of minutes, I assume):

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Double-press-too-fast-in-1-switch-looper/975252-23508

HX Stomp: all footswitches together goes to tuner (should be easy):

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HX-Stomp-FS1+2+3-=-tuner/975302-23508?submitted=1

I think they are all pretty reasonable.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It would be awesome if we could change effects blocks names. So users could load a conf file with desired names of the amp. In this case we will have real amp names and Line 6 dont break the copyright law.

If it's not possible they could at least call all Fender as Fuller instead US, Fullerton and so on. Maybe there are more suitable names for other amps too.

I'd like to see a "hide looper" button on the six button looper.

So say I have my looper set on footswitch 11, I'm playing, I hit #11 and it opens up, cool.  But then when I want to get back to stomp mode, I always have to think, oh yeah, hit the mode button.  It would be much more intuitive if I could just hide the looper from within the looper.

There are two empty boxes in the looper display -- just put a "hide looper" button in the one of those.  I hit that button, the looper goes background again and there are my stomps

I don't think you'd have to change the name.

Thanks SaschaFranck for pointing me to this thread. Here are a few suggestions I left on ideascale:

-Shin Ei fuzz (or Sasori, a more modern version): https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Shin-ei-fy2-fuzz-clone/975696-23508

-King Crimson 80s lead synth sound: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/King-Crimson-80s-lead-synth/980392-23508

-Boss BF3 flanger: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Boss-BF3-flanger/975694-23508

-Snapshot/looper and Snapshot/stomp/looper cycles for Mode button: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Mode-button-to-cycle-between-snapshot-looper/980756-23508?submitted=1

• 2 weeks later...

As big fan of Ritchie Blackmore, I suggest:   1) Marshall Major 200 (amp ) 2) Hornby Skues treble booster ( both germanium and silicium options) 3) Aiwa TP10-11 preamp (mic stage) 

he use to "boost" the front end of his amps…….