Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Ideascale Community Submissions

TheRealZap

43 minutes ago, datacommando said:

You do realise that posting this here is not enough - you actually have to post your ideas/request onto the IdeaScale site to be voted on.

Find it here:

https://line6.ideascale.com

Ensure that nobody else has made the same request, and if they have you can vote it up.

You mention 3 items - therefore you need to make each one a separate post, because more people will vote for single things rather than a multi request.

Then you can post here to let other users know what you have asked for, and they can vote for it if they like the idea.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Yeah, or kind of, I thought it's better than nothing. My IdeaScale account hasn't been accepted and I got impatient..

But thanks!

• Upvote 1

It's simple: 5 snapshots with the HX Stomp.

We all can have access to up to 5 footswitches with it, and now that we also have the Command Center on the HX Stomp,  it just seems so wrong that we're still limited to 3 snapshots.

Also, it seems that this issue is not due to a processor limitation, since it has a slightly better chip (and with a slightly higher clock) than the Pod Go, which already offers 4 snapshots.

I think Line6 is gradually running out of excuses for this artificial limitation they've put on the HX Stomp. 

For amp that features like master volume are 'added' ie not in the original, please differentiate that control by something as simple as the colour of the bar.

I am suggesting that this can just be done in HX edit, not on the individual device firmware itself, to make it easier to be implemented. 

Ok, this is my whish list for the next Helix Floor:

1)  I believe that one of the strengths of the Helix Floor is the fact that it has an excellent number of Sends / Returns, this makes it unique in the world among the currently existing pedalboards. So this is my Wish/request: add a total of 6 Mono Return Jacks on the rear panel, so we can use up to 3 Stereo Fx pedals within Helix

2 ) Add Studio HD Reverb types and not yet other low to medium quality guitar pedal reverb types : It would be great to have the famous Yamaha reverb rack units, as well as reverb models of the Lexicon or Eventide rack units

This is the delay I hope finds its way to the Helix, please vote up.

Lexicon PCM 42 Delay

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Please-add-Lexicon-PCM-42-Delay/946651-23508

Lexicon PCM 42 ~ so amazing! Sells used for $800-$1200 if you can find one.  Couldn't find a great video to really show how good the sound quality is, so organic and flexible for digital.

https://www.vintagedigital.com.au/lexicon-pcm-42-digital-delay-processor/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0IKxU54LE

Edited by JaH337
forgot to add ideascale link
  • Thanks 1

Dont know if does already exist in ideascale, but I really wish they make the rotary pots more dynamic. I mean, it does takes from 40 seconds to an entire MINUTE, spinning that rotary, to assign the max values to some block params (like for example the new poly sustain, or longest delay times). They could just use an EXPonential function that does auto engage if you dont stop spinning the value within X seconds.

EDIT; would be also great to have a 100% Wet option on the Poly Sustain block, to play soft in/out drone pads, like I can do with my Gamechanger Plus Pedal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Block-Linking/1006766-23508?submitted=1

Block Linking

Suggestion to add ability to link blocks in different presets. This means that all parameters in linked blocks are fully connected, so if I change settings in one preset for amp block, it will be changed in preset with linked amp block.
For example, I use two presets with 8 snapshots each (more like 16 snapshots for my usage), and both presets have the same amp and cab, and delay pedal. Presets differ in other elements - additional effects, modulations, pitch shifters, but they share amp, cab and delay. So I could link them, and after changing amp gain in one preset I don't have to do it in other preset.

That's like the global blocks, but doable and flexible version

• Upvote 1

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Selecting-Preset-s-Snapshot/1006768-23508?submitted=1

Selecting Preset's Snapshot

Suggestion for selecting preset's snapshot. When you want to use different presets with their own snapshots, but you can only switch to last saved snapshot in this preset with ONE pedal switch.
So instead of having links to different presets in your preset, you can have links to different snapshots in different presets.

For example, I have my MAIN preset with regular snapshots, and sometimes I need some more exotic stuff like acoustic sims or pitch-shifting, but I can't contain them in my MAIN preset. So I create ADDITION preset with some of my MAIN snapshots, but mostly with exotic stuff snapshots. And I want to switch from my MAIN preset's clean snapshot to my ADDITION preset's acoustic snapshot, OR i want to switch to ADDITION preset's pitch-shifting preset. Now in Helix I simply cannot do it, when selecting different presets I always automatically switch to last saved snapshot in this preset, not the snapshot I want in this particular moment - and needed snapshot is different from time to time.

This change will save us in LIVE situations, when switching between presets (and help knowing which snapshot will exactly be loaded)

• 2 weeks later...

JHS Colour Box

Doing home studio recording, I'd be interested in some sort of console emulation that could potentially give my Helix routing a more "analog" sound.

The JHS Colour Box is a pedal that supposedly emulates a Neve console. I doubt it would be too much of a challenge for Line 6.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/JHS-Colour-Box-or-some-other-sort-of-Analog-console-emulation/1007325-23508

I'd like to have multiple 10 stomp pages accessible within a preset using FS6 or FS12 unleashing the full potential of the command center.

I think 2 pages (20 foot switches) would be enough in most cases and would be really easy to navigate between them using a single FS, for example using FS6 (losing pedal edit mode and moving "mode" access to press & hold) for cycling through page 1 and 2 would be a nice and fast solution.

20 footswitches and the new command center that let us build our layout mixing stomps, snapshots, presets, looper & hot keys , will turn the Helix Floor in an unstoppable gigging machine.

I'd also add the "turn page" to the command center, just in case.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Multiple-10-stomp-pages/1007625-23508

Hello Helix Gurus.

I need to be able to move the 1/2speed button away from the Play/Stop buttons in the Looper.

When on stage, if I don't hit the Play button exactly right, I often find I also hit the 1/2speed button with my foot, along with the Play/Stop button next to it.

I need to get it out of the way.

Is there any way to edit the layout for the Looper section and if not, can this please be added to features?

Thanks everyone, and happy new year :-)

I posted an IdeaScale entry and I'll also mention it here: It would be great of the Helix would control more than 2 DT25 amps. It will send audio to four of them and divide stereo among them but it will only control the first 2 via L6 using the DT25 output block. It really should be able to send the commands to any connected DT25s, at least up to four which has always been what the DT series advertised. At a minimum the interface could have an "All" setting, i.e. DT1, DT2, DT1+2, DT All.

It would also be great if stereo L/R channels could be assigned to each DT unit.

-Stooxie

I'd like to see a one click "delete preset" option in HX Edit. In windows, i'd put it in the right click menu, towards the bottom of the menu list. Have it revert back to a blank "New Preset". I sample a lot of user's presets and need an easier way to delete the ones I don't like instead of having to copy, save, and paste "New Preset".

I'd like to make a suggestion related to stage performance use.  You know ... for when we can go back to doing that.  

I personally like to use the Stomp/Snap mode for the foot-switch buttons but regardless of which mode is selected when I press the bank up/down buttons I always want to see both rows displaying presets.  Or at least have the option.  I feel this would make banking up/down operations much more convenient as well as faster. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:40 PM, MGW-Alberta said:

I'd like to make a suggestion related to stage performance use.  You know ... for when we can go back to doing that.  

I personally like to use the Stomp/Snap mode for the foot-switch buttons but regardless of which mode is selected when I press the bank up/down buttons I always want to see both rows displaying presets.  Or at least have the option.  I feel this would make banking up/down operations much more convenient as well as faster. 

Please post the URL from Line6's Ideascale (https://line6.ideascale.com/) when you have a chance to submit the idea so it can be voted on.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MGW-Alberta said:

I think I'll pass.

I'm not going to join a different thing in order to talk about this thing.

Feel free to post it yourself if you wish.

Or not.  

Up to you.

Either way, thank you for your help.

Happy to oblige. It's a good idea. I hope it gets some traction anyway.

• Like 1

No idea if this is possible, but here goes:

1. Profiling - handy thing to be able to do if I want to include some of my analog fx not currently in the helix (or amps for that matter) 

2. Separate power amps. So I can mix and match with preamps. Example, might be fun to try amps that use 6l6 power stage with el34 instead. 

3. Germanium fuzz face

4. Fuzz faces... with selectable diode e.g. bc108, bc109, nkt white dot etc. 

5. Some sort of fx build tool that will allow us to as our own fx into the helix. Eg. we start with a tube screamer circuit, choose our transistors and diodes... audition the sound, give it a name... then upload it to our helix. 

6. Similar to (5) but for building cabs. Allowing us to select cab size and speakers for each position within the cab. 

7. Granular mic positioning including off axis. 

• Like 1

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Being-able-to-put-more-than-one-amp-in-a-patch/1011563-23508?submitted=1

I submitted this idea to ideascale. Basically it's asking adding the ability to put two amp blocks in the same patch, but only allowing having one of them enabled, instead of directly not allowing adding two amp blocks.

That way I could switch from clean to distorted amp in the same patch. 

I submitted this idea to ideascale. Basically it's asking adding the ability to put two amp blocks in the same patch, but only allowing having one of them enabled, instead of directly not allowing adding two amp blocks.

That way I could switch from clean to distorted amp in the same patch. 

If you have a Helix, you can do this on the other path. If you have an HX Stomp, it is what it is. It's a DSP issue and there is nothing programming wise they can do with that. Each amp uses a certain amount of DSP so two amps will obviously use more. The "bucket" is only so big and no matter what you do to the water, it can only hold so much of it. Aside from creating a new product, you are stuck with the limitations of what you have.

I have a Helix LT. My problem is that I have both paths full of effects on almost every patch (I create a patch per song, and each song has lots of different effects).

My proposal is: let users add whatever effects they want to a patch, just don't let them enable all of them. Let users enable effects until dsp runs out. That way you could have two amps in the same patch, but you would only be able to enable one of them.

Maybe, technologically, it's something imposible.

46 minutes ago, molul said:

I have a Helix LT. My problem is that I have both paths full of effects on almost every patch (I create a patch per song, and each song has lots of different effects).

My proposal is: let users add whatever effects they want to a patch, just don't let them enable all of them. Let users enable effects until dsp runs out. That way you could have two amps in the same patch, but you would only be able to enable one of them.

It is, in fact, technically not possible. Not the way the unit is made to work. Only way to switch between two different blocks is to have both loaded in the preset. That's just the way it works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 12:28 PM, molul said:

On 2/17/2021 at 1:15 PM, PeterHamm said:

It is, in fact, technically not possible. Not the way the unit is made to work. Only way to switch between two different blocks is to have both loaded in the preset. That's just the way it works.

Like PeterHamm indicated, the current architecture simply does not allow for placing blocks in a path that exceed the total amount of DSP available, bypassed or not.  The HX line of devices pre-allocate the DSP for every block in your signal path as soon as you select a preset.

Regarding the two amp blocks per route, I do it all the time with plenty of effects. Many of my presets have three amp channels and multiple effects.  As you may already be familiar with you just have to shuffle things around across the routes such that each of the two DSP chips gets used as evenly as possible. The drawback is that it does not always result in the most optimal placement of your effect blocks in the path.  Even though at first blush having bypassed blocks that exceed the limit seems to be technically feasible it just does not seem likely that such a fundamental part of the way the HX architecture works will ever get changed(but you never know). 

How would you handle someone switching a block on in error that exceeds the DSP limit? Issue an error message? You would definitely inherently create lag in snapshot or preset switching by not pre-allocating and potentially even more if you had to recalculate DSP usage on the fly instead of during the preset creation/editing process. We already know that there is lag time between presets unless you use the new single route/DSP option. There is a heavy price paid in latency for not pre-allocating DSP; that is why Line6 pre-allocates. 

This topic got batted around quite a bit for a while so you are not alone in wanting to have the option to not pre-allocate the DSP and let more experienced users manage the DSP limits on their blocks and suffer the consequences. Those consequences might include an error message regarding exceeding total DSP,  a failure to switch to the overallocated snap/preset, and/or lag while the DSP is calculated and then  released for bypassed blocks and assigned to newly activated blocks, all of that DSP allocation now being required to occur on the fly.  The consequences to new or less experienced users would be for them to constantly be mystified when they were unable to kick in a certain snapshot, enable an effect, or a gap of silence between their switching.

Btw, this is why from a practical standpoint I always start designing my presets with the amp/cab blocks which generally require a large amount of DSP and then move on to adding the other blocks.

I would very much like to see the VU meter functionality expanded in a few ways:

(1) I would like the meters to be visible at all times (at least in HX Edit if not on the device itself), not just when the Output Block is selected.  If I am running a dual signal path with each path panned L and R, and I want to make sure they are properly level balanced, I can't see the levels for both of them at the same time, because I can only select one Output Block at a time.

(2) Ideally the meters would be graduated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 11:30 AM, rizzy said:

I'd love to see an additional HX edit version as a VST/AAX/AU plugin. That way parameters could be automatized within a DAW and reamping using the hardware unit would step up a few levels.

line6ideascale - HX Edit as VST/AAX/AU Plugin

I may be misunderstanding what you are requesting, because from your description it sounds a lot like HX Native which already exists as a DAW plugin in all those formats, and it does all those things right now.

HX Edit is simply a “remote control” for the hardware. HX Native is the entire Helix “brain” minus the buttons, pedals and peripheral stuff, but they can all be automated in any DAW.

I really don’t understand what you are asking for, and how it would possibly do anything differently from what can already be done in Native.

On 3/14/2021 at 2:17 PM, datacommando said:

I may be misunderstanding what you are requesting, because from your description it sounds a lot like HX Native which already exists as a DAW plugin in all those formats, and it does all those things right now.

HX Edit is simply a “remote control” for the hardware. HX Native is the entire Helix “brain” minus the buttons, pedals and peripheral stuff, but they can all be automated in any DAW.

I really don’t understand what you are asking for, and how it would possibly do anything differently from what can already be done in Native.

Well, I thought having the HX Edit user interface as a plugin inside a DAW would make automation of the hardware unit easier - i.e. if one wants to program changes of parameters that should happen at a given point in time while reamping through the hardware unit. It would be easier that way as compared to setting up controller components inside a DAW and sending MIDI events from them, as HX Edit already comes preconfigured for that task. Think of it like doing automation inside HX Native but doing it via HX Edit using the hardware unit.

6 hours ago, rizzy said:

Well, I thought having the HX Edit user interface as a plugin inside a DAW would make automation of the hardware unit easier - i.e. if one wants to program changes of parameters that should happen at a given point in time while reamping through the hardware unit. It would be easier that way as compared to setting up controller components inside a DAW and sending MIDI events from them, as HX Edit already comes preconfigured for that task. Think of it like doing automation inside HX Native but doing it via HX Edit using the hardware unit.

No, sorry, I still cannot comprehend what this would provide that is not already available with the Helix hardware and HX Native software. I have had a Helix floor since 2015 and HX Native since 2017, and both are used on an almost daily basis with Logic Pro X. I can record both processed and dry guitar via USB and re-amp using HXN. I don’t see what you’re asking for could improve on this, because it brings nothing new. Why should Line 6 waste valuable time and resources on something that we already have. Maybe you should spend some time working with Native, because once you have your D.I. audio in your DAW it doesn’t need to leave, everything that can be done in the hardware can be done in HX Native. That’s why Line 6 made it.

11 hours ago, datacommando said:

No, sorry, I still cannot comprehend what this would provide that is not already available with the Helix hardware and HX Native software. I have had a Helix floor since 2015 and HX Native since 2017, and both are used on an almost daily basis with Logic Pro X. I can record both processed and dry guitar via USB and re-amp using HXN. I don’t see what you’re asking for could improve on this, because it brings nothing new. Why should Line 6 waste valuable time and resources on something that we already have. Maybe you should spend some time working with Native, because once you have your D.I. audio in your DAW it doesn’t need to leave, everything that can be done in the hardware can be done in HX Native. That’s why Line 6 made it.

I don't own the Native software and would like to be able to automate things while reamping through the hardware unit using the HX Edit GUI as a Plugin. I don't want to buy HX Native and think this way would be easier than to set up dedicated MIDI controllers in a DAW. It would be like doing automation you'd do within Native but using the Hardware unit. This possibility does not exist in the suggested way right now.