Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just Ordered A Dt25! Need Help With:

pugdealer

Hey guys

I got into line 6 stuff when looking for a new multifx processor... I always used Boss's GT something, but I was blown away by the POD HD family an got an HD500 a year and a half ago! I loved it, but after that I just could not be without a variax, and so I bought a JTV-59 just after the pod, and fed my voice and guitar thru the pod to a Bose L1 compact. This "rig" made me happy, considering my needs and means since then, but things have "evolved", I no longer connect my mic to the pod, and I want/need a better guitar tone, so I kept my money on L6 and just ordered a DT25 combo so I can get that nice warm valve sound, retaining all the flexability L6 has gotten me used to, BUT, here are my questions/doubts:

1 - I understand the amp will reconfigure itself to whatever the pod tells it to (via L6 link), but what happens when I select a preset which has 2 amps?!? How will I replicate that preset sound using only 1 DT25!?

2 - I often use the acoustic sounds on my variax. What's the best way to route that sound to a PA and stop it from going to the amp!?

3 - Can I update the firmware on the amp thru my POD HD using L6 link? I'd save me getting MIDI cables

4 - I've read about (valve?) realiability issues...is it really worse than most amps out there?

5 - I've never owned a valve amp before, and I'm not educated at all on how it works. Just tell me the basics please, like, "you gotta have the master knob at least in ____ so the valves will work properly..."! Basic and not so basic stuff you can remember, please

Thanks a lot guys!

I'll try:

Q1: The 2 amp tones are mixed together.

Q2. The line outs on the pod (and I think the digital outs) still work. Tone may need some shaping because your outputs will have been preset for a stack or combo. I think you have to pull the L6 cable out or put the amp in standby to disable it though.

Q3. I've had no problems. Remember all the people who haven't had problems dont post their good experience on forums.

Q4: Start here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_amplifier

You can also use two separate DT amps using Line 6 link (one feeds the other using a pass thru XLR cable), if you want both amp sounds to different amplifiers. Watch the you tube Line 6 videos for the demo on that.

My doubt with Q1 has to do with the fact that I'm using 2 amps with different topologies...so how dow the DT25 accomplish that analog wise?!

It doesn't really... It only sets the topology according to the amp you first put in your chain. The topology is part of the power amp, and the DT-25 has a single power amp. Personally, I wouldn't bother with trying to use a dual amp setup with a single DT50 or DT25.

There are some limited uses of dual channel tones that work with a single DT amp.

• The 2 amps use the same topoloy (e.g., if you want to model a bridged bright and normal channel of the same amp)
  • No preamp on 1 channel for accoustic guitar tones

I should clarify my earlier comment. Whatever the first amp model you select in a tone is, the class and topology on the DT amp will go to whatever the default settings are for that model. You can, of course, still change the class and topology in the tone. So you can create hybrids of whatever you want with dual tones on the HD500. It's just you're stuck to using one topology and and one class per tone whether you have one amp model or two. Of course if you add another DT amp, than it's another story...