Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dream Rig Newbie Questions

Can someone tell me what my amp settings on the DT-25 should be when using the Dream Rig? Do the HD500x settings override anything set on the DT-25, or does everything need to be at 12:00? Also - when I'm using the whole rig, I notice I'm getting some popping through the DT-25. I really love the DT-25 and the Variax, but it seems like the Pod HD500x is really throwing a wrench into the gears. Like I said, I'm a newbie, so your advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The master volume and reverb knob on the DT25 are always WYSIWYG. The position of the  other tone stack knobs will be ignored unless you turn them after you load a preset from HD500X. If you move them while in a preset, they control the tone stack of Amp A in the HD500X.

When creating patches in the HD500x, because the patch is going to the DT, do I turn off speaker type and microphone for all patches?

Thanks

It's really suit to taste.  If you are using the "pre" amp models, then there is no mic modeling.  Most people prefer the pre to full versions for the DT, but there's no rule about it and it's really what sounds best to you.

Same goes with cab settings.  The pre models were meant to have cab emulations, and in my opinion add a lot to the sound.  Having said that, you can also try the amp with no cab and judge how it feels to you.

Lastly, there are the 4 topology settings.  Each amp has a default topology, but once again you should play around with them.  I like top III when I want some extra bright punch,

Oh, and don't forget to experiment with Class A vs A/B, and there's Pentode and Triode.

There's a lot of options, and a lot of fun to be had!

• 1 month later...

I have a few newbie questions myself, as I'm a bit confused by the initial settings.

1) If I only have one DT25 amp and the HD500, is there a point in using the Amp A / Amp B settings for Audio in the L6 Link? This setting seems to turn the amp in the signal chain as the "end", and that's that...

2) I cannot for the love of me grasp what's going on with the signal if I create a dual amp preset (assuming the L6 Link audio setting is set to Left / Right). Could someone elaborate? What's most confusing is that if I create a dual-amp preset but disable the first amp, then it seems the DT25 is switching to the B channel and uses only the knobs on the DT?

3) Can I control both DT25 channels at once from the HD500?

I have a few newbie questions myself, as I'm a bit confused by the initial settings.

1) If I only have one DT25 amp and the HD500, is there a point in using the Amp A / Amp B settings for Audio in the L6 Link? This setting seems to turn the amp in the signal chain as the "end", and that's that...

2) I cannot for the love of me grasp what's going on with the signal if I create a dual amp preset (assuming the L6 Link audio setting is set to Left / Right). Could someone elaborate? What's most confusing is that if I create a dual-amp preset but disable the first amp, then it seems the DT25 is switching to the B channel and uses only the knobs on the DT?

3) Can I control both DT25 channels at once from the HD500?

1) Sorry don't know. Hopefully one of the others on here will come along with the answer to that.

2) Over the L6 Link the DT only uses Amp A. For dual-amp I'm pretty sure it's summing them together and sending that. The Amp is mono so any left/right stereo field is more for general tone, you don't really have Stereo on a single DT. Of course if you had 2 DTs then you can get true Stereo. Mutting channel A will cause the DT to flip to Amp B, which will be whatever Amp B was configured on the Amp for. Not quite sure why L6 designed that way but is what it is. There is trick around that. On the mixer you can take Channel A output to zero and the DT will stay on Amp A then. 

3)Nope. Althought it would have been nice for the dual amps patches to use the knobs of each to control each on the Pod. But just wasn't designed for it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the answers Gear Head. I guess I'll keep it simple for the time being and stick with a single amp in my chain, until I get a better grasp of things.

Cheers!

Regarding 1) I know that if I use the Amp A / Amp B (or either of them separately) Audio setting then the PODs looper will only work if it's the first element of the chain. This makes me think that one needs a more elaborate hardware setup to make use of that specific option.

I assume you are talking about the L6 Link configuration in the SW editor Mixer section.

If you have only a single DT you want the AMP 1 Audio set to Left/Right to get the combined audio signal including post HD amp effects sent to the DT.

If you want to use a dual amp tone keep in mind that the DT power amp type and configuration will be selected by the DT configuration just below AMP A in the AMPS page of the SW editor. That said you can build a dual amp tone our of any power amp or pre amp models, but only the Path A DT configuration will be used on the DT. Clearly this is not exactly what you may want, but that's the options you get from a single DT.

Hope this helps.

That said you can build a dual amp tone our of any power amp or pre amp models, but only the Path A DT configuration will be used on the DT.

I'm a bit confused. If only path A is used, then what's going on with the second amp in the chain?

On a side note - I'm having a strange issue with the POD HD500 software. I'm trying to create 4 patches for a specific song, and I'm using the (seemingly) useful feature of Ctrl+dragging a patch to copy it over to another slot. So I copy over a patch, make a small adjustment, and save it using the "send selected" button...

As long as I select the patch via the HD500 software, it's exactly as I specified it - knob settings and all.

But then I try to leave my PC and actually play the darn thing and switch between patches using the footswitches, and I find that the copied patch has all the knob positions wrong - completely missing the intended end result.

I found I need to select the patch using the HD500 software and ADDITIONALLY I need to save it using the PODs physical save button.

Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong? It seems as if the "send selected" button doesn't do what I think it does... or it doesn't do whatever it should do correctly...

I'm a bit confused. If only path A is used, then what's going on with the second amp in the chain?

The amp models you select on the HD are modelled in the HD and the resulting output signals are mixed in the HD Mixer before getting sent to the DT. By default the amp model in path A selects the associated DT power amp configuration. The DT only does extra reverb (spring by default), effect loop (if used) and Master voulume / power amp function (and mic modelling if you use XLR out). You can modify the power amp configuration by changing the DT configuration for AMP A in the AMPS section of the HD. What you can't do is getting a mix of power amp configurations because the DT is in effect only a single channel Amp when used with the HD (preamp choices are bypassed and dials only effect HD tone stack settings).

On a side note - I'm having a strange issue with the POD HD500 software. I'm trying to create 4 patches for a specific song, and I'm using the (seemingly) useful feature of Ctrl+dragging a patch to copy it over to another slot. So I copy over a patch, make a small adjustment, and save it using the "send selected" button...

As long as I select the patch via the HD500 software, it's exactly as I specified it - knob settings and all.

But then I try to leave my PC and actually play the darn thing and switch between patches using the footswitches, and I find that the copied patch has all the knob positions wrong - completely missing the intended end result.

I found I need to select the patch using the HD500 software and ADDITIONALLY I need to save it using the PODs physical save button.

Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong? It seems as if the "send selected" button doesn't do what I think it does... or it doesn't do whatever it should do correctly...

No clue; should work as you described doing it. Be careful mixing use of HD buttons and HD edit SW while connected to PC. I sometimes get synchronization errors. Make sure you really sent the patches you changed. Other than that I have no idea why what you are doing would not work.

Lastly, there are the 4 topology settings.  Each amp has a default topology, but once again you should play around with them.  I like top III when I want some extra bright punch,

Does anybody have a list of what voices on the DT correspond to what pre-amp on the PODHD?

I tried just paging through the preamps while hooked to my DT, but when almost all of the preamps were using Voice 1 or 2 and class A/B Pentode, and only one pre-amp used Voice 4, I became suspicious that my POD wasn't  sending the original default  amp settings to the DT. 

This is what my list looked like:

HD500Models&DT Voices

Model Pre

Voicing

Class/PTmode

BF DBL NRM PRE

A/B Pent

BF DBL VIB

AB Pent

Hiway 100

AB Pent

SuiperO

A   Pent

Gib

A   Pent

Tweed Bman nrm

AB Pent

Tweed Bman brt

AB Pent

BF Lux nrm

AB Pent

BF Lux Vib

AB pent

Divide

AB Pent

PHD

AB Pent

A-15

A   Pent

A-30 TB

A   Pent

J-45

AB Pent

J-45 brt

AB Pent

Plexi nrm

AB Pent

Plexi brt

AB Pent

P-75 nrm

AB Pent

P-75 brt

AB Pent

J-800

AB Pent

Bomber

AB Pent

Treadplate

AB Pent

F-Ball

AB Pent

/Electrix

AB Pent

Solo 100

AB Pent

Solo 100 crunch

AB Pent

Solo 100 OD

AB Pent

Doom

AB Pent

Epic

AB Pent

Flip Top

AB Pent

Shaamaan, on 05 Aug 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:snapback.png

Just checked and seeing same effect as you. Seems like a SW bug either in editor or HD. It seems to correct itself if you switch to a different bank and back with HD foot switches after you update the HD tones via send.

• Upvote 1

Shaamaan, on 05 Aug 2015 - 11:43 AM, said:snapback.png

Just checked and seeing same effect as you. Seems like a SW bug either in editor or HD. It seems to correct itself if you switch to a different bank and back with HD foot switches after you update the HD tones via send.

Hey, thanks for the confirmation!

I was worried it might be something with my unit.

Well after easing the posts here, I thought I'd weigh in and offer my knowledge from using every piece of L6 hear other than FX pedals from 2003 thru 2012.

I will say that I first of all hope anyone using any POD unit connected to any DT amp is using a digital 3-pin cable, not a typical mic cable. The mic cable is for analog signals, and because all the Line 6 hear is digital two way communication...it needs to be a digital cable connection or eventually you will cause unwanted failure with the POD or the DT. I brought this up back when the POD pedals and DT Amos first came onto the market. It's honestly common sense any lighting tech can tell you why all lighting gear uses only digital 3-pin XLR type cables for all connections.

Yes, any POD patch whether single or dual amp will only come out through channel A and override all knob settings except the Reverb & Master Volume for that channel. Channel B, if used wisely, it actually can give you a three amp patch by setting any free toggle (1 - 8) as a bypass (or off) by making certain that when in the Variax editing software, or on the unit directly, the master volume on each channel is set to produce any patch or channels direct amp sound to some more than zero. For example...

In building a triple amp patch for making songs that require many changes, I start with a modeled amp ( I prefer "pre" just because it saves on CPU usage.) I've read many who say that in pre mode the cabinet and mic choices/settings don't work. Ah, but oh yes they do just as if you chose a cab and a mic as well as the distance from the mic from the cab. And if any wish to challenge my statement, I can make a video and let everyone hear that I'm correct. Now moving on...in my triple amp example, my first signal chain will have a gritty rhythm sound with a simple delay and analog chorus for just a bit of "width" to the sound. Then I make my second signal chain with a higher gain medium balls type of typical 1970s Marshall sound with a noise gate, simple digital delay with a bit more feedback and higher mix parameters. Then for the channel B amp sound, I choose Mode IV which is the highest modern gain, depending on my preference for the song I'm doing, I more often choose Class A so the drive happens sooner at lower volumes and sweet as hell for soloing and set each knob from gain thru to master volume to get the basic tone I want. Then I go into the software or in the button controller menu, I set both amps to turn off, and whatever FX AFTER the mixer will be sent to the B channel, plus any other FX you want only for channel B to ON. All on ONE button. Any FX before the mixer get shutoff with the amp shutting off. After the mixer they stay on in the signal chain. Now you can add as much as your CPU and slot usage allows for your dual amp patch, plus extra FX for only use when Channel B is on. All this happens with near zero lag time and if you switch the B channel patch before the song begins it happens even quicker. Channel B will recall the LAST SETTING OF EACH KNOB except Reverb and Master volume. And that's how you get three amps from a dual amp patch based on how Line 6 designed their gear. I've tried to let everyone know the dream rig is capable of being a triple amp rig back in 2010, but it seemed no one thought much of my findings. And for all these past years, I've been getting my gear to do more than most every other Line 6 gear user/performer. I don't have any of the newer "X" POD units and with all the CPU overload frustrations other we're having, I found this was a terrific way to get more without doing anything more than understanding the hear inside and out, and how just important using the very powerful Editing software. Now you can too if you give it a try.

And just to complete my own personal preference when using my DT amps. The POD unit automatically defaults to Combo Pwr Amp as its output. I have learned that using that option can be a nightmare on stage and through a PA. The XLR outputs are always giving full modeling including cans/Mocs and as I said even is "pre" mode. So it cause great sonic and even volume differences in the PA than what you are hearing on stage. Even worse of you build a patch with headphones, then plug into the DT amp. When it switches to its default setting, you patch will not sound even close in tone to what you made with phones or through any line out amp/speaker system. I've found the best way to deal with this, is to plug in create your patch using any way you wish from phones to line amps to the DT amp is to ALWAYS use the Studio/Direct output setting. This way what you hear on stage will match your PA sound no matter which output you choose to send from the POD unit XLR or from the speaker emulator DT amp output. Consistency is the benchmark of a more stress free musical life and happy players and PA engineers as well as happy listeners since all sounds from the stage through the PA match as well as possible. This contradicts many of the recommended statements in every full Users Guide, but I know this works and has been working well for me on and off stage for many years since I got all the gear, figured it out beyond what manuals say, and I am sharing this learning experience with any who read this post and wish to give it a try.

If anyone wants further undocumented very amazing and useful things your dream rig of POD/DT amp combination can really do when not confined to "thinking within the box" Line 6 manuals never mention, nor do most of the others here in the community. I'm not here to cause problems, but to help solve them and explain how much more this gear can do if you didn't already know.

Best of luck to all and I hope I've enlightened many who might just read this long manual length post on how to get the absolute most from your Line 6 gear.

• Upvote 1