Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Was using DT Edit to program the DT50HD today.

Brazzy

I got my DT back from the shop a while ago and had to update the firmware, I suppose they either reset it or replaced the board. Anyway I pulled out the M Audio MIDI Sport Uno and proceeded to update without a hitch.

I never really got a chance to understand what goes on when DT Edit or some other MIDI GUI or device is used to program amps, cab, and many other settings to a channel.

I know I read about this stuff here before but sometimes it takes the actual experience to understand it. I realize now that each Topo has two channels. This means I can program an amp, cab or not to any of the 8 channels. I had so much fun with this today. This amp, even though it's not going to be made anymore is absolutely amazing. The sound of this set-up always amazes me.

I learned that when in DT Edit making settings to the channel your "not on" first is best since if you change Topo settings while on the channel your modifying you might get pops and such. So if I'm on Channel A, I change all the settings for Channel B first, then switch to B and set Channel A and back and forth etc.etc. Also I did not rapidly switch between channels I gave about 5 second wait between channel changes.

I think I read this here before: I set all my channels to the same Topo setting (Class AB, Topo I, Pentode) in order to keep that channel changing pop from happening. Seems I was able to change the other settings (Boost On/Off, PIV low/high, Tight/Smooth) without getting the channel changing pop.

I've got to try the other Topo combinations but what I've got now seems to sound great for Low Volume practice.

Anyone else having good results with the Hidden Features of these Amps?

Next I'm going to put together some MIDI set lists in my HD500 for the DT MIDI IN.

Another Post on my opinion of MIDI and the DT

Edited by Brazzy

The DT Edit software is awesome.

I never realized all the things you could do with just the DT amp because Line 6 never really made that clear.

But once you find out all the sweet stuff inside of it you realize that you never really needed anything but the DT and a midi pedal to get some great guitar sounds.
Tremendous amplifier. :)

The DT Edit software is awesome.

I never realized all the things you could do with just the DT amp because Line 6 never really made that clear.

But once you find out all the sweet stuff inside of it you realize that you never really needed anything but the DT and a midi pedal to get some great guitar sounds.

Tremendous amplifier. :)

Yeah Man! It's very cool and interesting. I just got done experimenting by recording my moves (with iPad) such as turning the drive back and forth for about a 15 seconds, lol then both the volume and drive up and down at the same time for another 15 seconds. I had a really cool wavy tone going on here, lol. Now I just have to be creative with it. I'm going to dig out my X3 Pro and see how I might be able to make use of it with the HD500/DT50HD. Oh man am I going to have some MIDI fun!

I'm going to record some progressive tone stack settings for different patches such as an HD500 footswitch with a MIDI CC to change the amp. I can do everything on the same channel of the DT such as Channel B. I think everything can be changed by MIDI. Looks like the trick is going to be  keeping the pops down so it looks like if I want to use different topologies I'm going to have to do it strategically, lol.

Edited by Brazzy

I've got one DTeeeees, lol. I get popping if I don't compensate. Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that with 2 DT's it works better in that respect. Thumbs up to Ya. :D

A Short Musical Rant for you.

What I mean is... If you want to switch to another topology in the middle of a song, you can just switch between amps that have already been set to amps you want. I should have been a little more specific.

• Upvote 1

What I mean is... If you want to switch to another topology in the middle of a song, you can just switch between amps that have already been set to amps you want. I should have been a little more specific.

Aaaaahhh I get it! That's the ticket for sure. I do a similar thing between my other amps. The specifics always get me, lol.