Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 USA Hipshot Staggered height Locking tuners now at Amazon $51

I have installed these on my Korean JTV69. The posts are shorter and create more down pressure on the nut. They solved an issue on my high "E" String that tended to slip out of the nut slot. I also installed the universal mount plate which allows installation without drilling new holes for the small screws:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=392

Great heads up. Didn't even know these staggered things existed.

Amazon has good pricing for the tuners with the UMP plate. Unfortunately just for a few left handed tuners for some reason

oh fer heavens sake... left handed tuners are for normal right-handed fender style guitars and right tuners are for lefties??  

oh crap.... i just noticed the stock 69 tuners are also staggered. DOH!  So the Hipshots are even shorter?

The locking tuners that came with my 69S are just fine by me. 

Simple test - next time you remove strings, grab the string binding post on the Korean JTV-69 locking Tuner and twist it back and forth, there exists 5 to 7 degrees of loose backlash.

No Backlash on the Hipshot = more stability and ability to return to pitch during  / after heavy whammy bar  use

If I give some slight pressure with a finger on the high e & b, I can hear a tad more solid sounding strings.

Wish I could find the hipshots w/ ump at a big dealer rather than paying $20-30 more having to buy directly from hipshot. (no offense hipshot) ;)

Thanks, appreciate it. :)

Only thing is it seems the onlu UMP sets are vintage 8.5mm holes and not the 10mm.  That'd probably be ok if I order a warmoth neck and have them drill the smaller hole but it won't work if I want to put a set on the Variax neck.

Only thing is it seems the onlu UMP sets are vintage 8.5mm holes and not the 10mm.  That'd probably be ok if I order a warmoth neck and have them drill the smaller hole but it won't work if I want to put a set on the Variax neck.

I bet if you call them they could order what you prefer

http://www.sporthitech.com/

• (855) 823-8894
  •  
  •  
  •  

Where in the description does it say it comes with the UMP?

Its not indicated on the Amazon sales link above.  - but I ordered a set anyway, and after I opened the packaged there was a sticker on the HipShot cardboard box saying" now included UMP Mounting Plates

I'll post a pic

Its not indicated on the Amazon sales link above.  - but I ordered a set anyway, and after I opened the packaged there was a sticker on the HipShot cardboard box saying" now included UMP Mounting Plates

I'll post a pic

Oh, I believe you.  :) 

This is what gets my goat.. no where in the descriptions of a set of tuners does it say it comes with the plate while there are some other sets that DO state they come with the UMP, leading someone like me to infer that if its not in the product description, then it doesn't come with it.  :huh: 

So basically I wound up paying full retail by buying directly from hipshot so I was sure of what I was getting. HOWEVER.... Hipshot's own product description doesn't say something like '6 in line tuners with mounting plate included'...... noooooo, it says 'Tuner UPGRADE Kit for 6 In Line'.... again, implying to my brain, that its an optional item..... although in its own description says that this supposed upgrade kit comes FREE with the UMP.  So what am I to think.... they describe it as a set of tuners upgrade kit..... which would mean that the UMP itself is the bloody upgrade!!  But apparently not, because the UMP comes FREE!!!  So why the hell is it being called an upgrade kit in the first place???!!!  Grrrrrrr

LOL

​Edit:  Hipshot kindly canceled my order through them and so I bought a set  from Amazon.   :)