Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

display switching to amp control knobs when connected to DT25

PaulTBaker

I have a HD500x and a DT25 and I absolutely love the sound, flexibility and control of the two of them.  However, I sometimes have a problem with the HD500x display switching back and forth between the signal chain and the amp knob controls.  Sometimes when this happens, all the foot switches stop working.... sometimes I have to press them several times and then they will work.  I don't think the knobs on the DT25 are moving (which would cause the display to change) because they stay the same.  I thought it might be the tubes going bad, but I just put new tubes in and got the same behavior.  

This only happens when using the l6 link to the DT25.  I use the HD500x when I play acoustic hooked straight to the PA and have no problems.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.... Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a HD500x and a DT25 and I absolutely love the sound, flexibility and control of the two of them.  However, I sometimes have a problem with the HD500x display switching back and forth between the signal chain and the amp knob controls.  Sometimes when this happens, all the foot switches stop working.... sometimes I have to press them several times and then they will work.  I don't think the knobs on the DT25 are moving (which would cause the display to change) because they stay the same.  I thought it might be the tubes going bad, but I just put new tubes in and got the same behavior.  

This only happens when using the l6 link to the DT25.  I use the HD500x when I play acoustic hooked straight to the PA and have no problems.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.... Thanks in advance for any help!

Hasn't happened to me. I've had other weird things happen.

It could need a reflash of the firmware. It's possible for any software to get corrupt.

Oh wait you did this; Maybe you could plug into the front of the amp and eliminate the L6 Link as being the issue. If it still happens maybe you've got a corrupt patch on your hands in which case you'll need to isolate it or just do what I do and that is start over and add my saved patches one at a time testing things out as I go in hopes to find the bad one.

Edited by Brazzy

Had this happen to me before. For me it was a knob sticking on the DT25. To fix on mine, I took each knob on channel one on the DT and rolled it up and all the way up and all the way back down a couple of times, putting them back in the 12'oclock position when done. Then switch patch and back to reset the EQ  to the patch. I think on mine it was the treble knob being all the way up it seem to stick on. 

This happened with the old firmware version and the new one I just uploaded.  I don't think it's patch related, but I really haven't checked that.  The funny thing is it never happens at home... (no matter what patch)... it only happens at gigs or for the first time last night at practice.

One gig when this happened, the only way I could get the buttons to work was to disconnect the l6 link and use a guitar cable into the DT25 effects return. 

I will try the knob twisting the next time and see what happens....

I know about power, but could it be power fluctuations?

Thanks for the reply's!

This happened with the old firmware version and the new one I just uploaded.  I don't think it's patch related, but I really haven't checked that.  The funny thing is it never happens at home... (no matter what patch)... it only happens at gigs or for the first time last night at practice.

One gig when this happened, the only way I could get the buttons to work was to disconnect the l6 link and use a guitar cable into the DT25 effects return. 

I will try the knob twisting the next time and see what happens....

I know about power, but could it be power fluctuations?

Thanks for the reply's!

I would go with what Palico suggested. Hopefully you can confirm it's the thing to do.

All good questions. Maybe there's a problem that might be hard to find. Seems to me I do recall someone having this issue before, with footswitch glitch like you have. Not sure what they did and I think they weren't in the US so it was hard for him to get it fixed since there were no repair places close.

Maybe it's the power supply but hard to say till you try a known good one.

Thanks everyone for the responses.... 

I also noted that when this happens, the display for guitar tuning is weird.  About an eight of an inch in the middle of the display is slightly lower than the rest of the display.

• 6 years later...