Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Damage to my rig using this setup?

CipherHost

Hey folks,

I have been using L6 Link from my 500X into a pair of DT25s. Lots of fun and flexibility!

Then, I was reading the post by robbie61 (http://line6.com/support/topic/14450-amp-b-doesnt-seem-to-work-with-my-hd500/?p=105517) and got to thinking. What if I plug the L and R unbalanced outs into the effects return of each of the DT25s while leaving the L6 Link plugged in? I tried it and it sounds good. There is a little more volume, but no apparent power tube clipping with the levels and patch I am using.

Does anyone think I could do damage to my rig using this setup?

I would not think so...

Seems like a decent idea as you keep the control over topo with a different approach of controlling how hard you hit the power amp.

I also run two DT amps (DT50 and DT25)...I use a bean and like a simul-class vibe (DT25 runs AB and DT50 class A) and pin the topo on the amps...

phil_m, on 26 Jun 2015 - 8:32 PM, said:

robbieb61, on 26 Jun 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:

You guys may have already known this, but I just realized (and tested) that I can mute my amps in HD Edit so the only audio is from the unbalanced cables and still have amp control over L6 Link. I still like the idea of pushing the power amp, but I like options too.

Robbie61, if you get a chance, could you test this idea on your rig? I'm guessing you'll get the same juicy tones with the benefit of L6 Link.

I hope Helix eventually incorporates current L6 Link functionality. Without L6 Link, I think both DTs will be listening to channel 1. So how you easily send DT2 a different CC message than DT1?

It would be quite cumbersome, but if you can tolerate the HD sitting behind your amps in a live situation, you can use Helix to call up patches on the HD via MIDI and leave L6 Link as normal from the HD to your DTs. This way you have L6 Link function and Helix audio via unbalanced outs.

In the mean time, let's hope "DT amp compatibility for Helix" (http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/DT-amp-compatibility-for-Helix/726817-23508) gets enough votes and Line6 decides to make it happen.

Cheers

I'm lost...are you saying that you can go into HD edit and tell the HD500 to mute the audio from the L6 link so that L6 still controls topography and channels, but all the audio comes only from the unbalanced outputs of the HD500?

I'm lost...are you saying that you can go into HD edit and tell the HD500 to mute the audio from the L6 link so that L6 still controls topography and channels, but all the audio comes only from the unbalanced outputs of the HD500?

In POD HD500X EDIT, go to the "MIXER" tab. At the bottom, there is a block called "L6 LINK". Here you can find sub blocks for controlling "AMP 1" thru "AMP 4" and UTILITIES. Each of the AMP 1-4 blocks has a separate drop down list for both "AUDIO" and "CONTROL". "CONTROL" allows you to chose "AMP A (Ch 1)" or "AMP B (Ch 2)" or other MIDI Channels. The "AUDIO" drop down list gives the options for Left, Right, Left and Right, AMP A, AMP B and Mute. I think that's all the choices but I would have to double check.

It looks like (from Googling images) the POD HD500 EDIT has a "MIXER" tab that includes the "CONTROLLERS" box, but not the L6 LINK block. The "CONTROLLERS" block is a separate tab in POD HD500X EDIT.

That makes me think you can't give this experiment a try. I also wonder if there were changes that improved the audio quality over L6 Link. I have to say that I have always thought plugging straight into the DT sounded better than through the POD (I've always used L6 Link). Tomorrow I am going to compare L6 Link with the unbalanced outs directly and compare.

You guys may have already known this, but I just realized (and tested) that I can mute my amps in HD Edit so the only audio is from the unbalanced cables and still have amp control over L6 Link. I still like the idea of pushing the power amp, but I like options too.

Robbie61, if you get a chance, could you test this idea on your rig? I'm guessing you'll get the same juicy tones with the benefit of L6 Link.

I hope Helix eventually incorporates current L6 Link functionality. Without L6 Link, I think both DTs will be listening to channel 1. So how you easily send DT2 a different CC message than DT1?

It would be quite cumbersome, but if you can tolerate the HD sitting behind your amps in a live situation, you can use Helix to call up patches on the HD via MIDI and leave L6 Link as normal from the HD to your DTs. This way you have L6 Link function and Helix audio via unbalanced outs.

In the mean time, let's hope "DT amp compatibility for Helix" (http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/DT-amp-compatibility-for-Helix/726817-23508) gets enough votes and Line6 decides to make it happen.

Very cool finding "C". I like your experiments. Thanks for sharing.

In POD HD500X EDIT, go to the "MIXER" tab. At the bottom, there is a block called "L6 LINK". Here you can find sub blocks for controlling "AMP 1" thru "AMP 4" and UTILITIES. Each of the AMP 1-4 blocks has a separate drop down list for both "AUDIO" and "CONTROL". "CONTROL" allows you to chose "AMP A (Ch 1)" or "AMP B (Ch 2)" or other MIDI Channels. The "AUDIO" drop down list gives the options for Left, Right, Left and Right, AMP A, AMP B and Mute. I think that's all the choices but I would have to double check.

It looks like (from Googling images) the POD HD500 EDIT has a "MIXER" tab that includes the "CONTROLLERS" box, but not the L6 LINK block. The "CONTROLLERS" block is a separate tab in POD HD500X EDIT.

That makes me think you can't give this experiment a try. I also wonder if there were changes that improved the audio quality over L6 Link. I have to say that I have always thought plugging straight into the DT sounded better than through the POD (I've always used L6 Link). Tomorrow I am going to compare L6 Link with the unbalanced outs directly and compare.

I don't know what HD500X Edit looks like. Your saying it's different than HD500 Edit. All I know is I have great tone with my DT and I'm going into the front with the guitar and I'm controlling via MIDI with my iPad and HD500. I call this an advancement for me, lol. I may never use L6 Link again but ya never know. I would still like to see/hear that Line 6 will try to get the Helix to work nicely with the DT's. Although if they don't I should still be able to go into the front of the amp with my guitar and control the DT via midi with it and an iPad like I'm doing now.

Versatile functionality is everything with these devices IMO. I would think that Line 6 would do everything possible to make as much happen as possible with the Helix or any other device they decide to engineer and manufacture. Line 6 is pretty smart in my book. Just look at all things they've made, it's mind boggling. LOL :)

• Upvote 1

HD Edit for old 500's works the same way as you describe for 500X  The L6 Link box is at the bottom of the MIXERS tab.

• Upvote 2

HD Edit for old 500's works the same way as you describe for 500X  The L6 Link box is at the bottom of the MIXERS tab.

Excellent! It must have been an older FW version I saw in the pictures I Googled. Unless they Photoshoped it.

All I know is I have great tone with my DT and I'm going into the front with the guitar and I'm controlling via MIDI with my iPad and HD500.

Do you come out the POD with the unbalanced out into the front of the DT? I never tried that. You could use just the pre amp in the DT, or a pre amp in your patch while using the same, different or no pre amp in the DT. That could lead to some interesting flavors. How do you get between the pre and power amps for time based effects? Or do you run them into the front. I know some guys run delays and such right into the front of there amps.

That looks different from my version of HD500 Edit, Hmmmmm.

Yeah, I never went to the actual website and just looked at the picture when I Googled it. I went there today (http://en.audiofanzine.com/guitar-amp-simulation-pedal/line-6/pod-hd500/editorial/reviews/pod-hd-is-it-for-you.html) and it is from 10/19/2010. Must be old FW. 

Good to know robbie61 can use this method if he wants to as well. His earlier post made me wonder. 

Enjoy your posts and thanks for the pics and info. Now I know.

• Upvote 2

Do you come out the POD with the unbalanced out into the front of the DT? I never tried that. You could use just the pre amp in the DT, or a pre amp in your patch while using the same, different or no pre amp in the DT. That could lead to some interesting flavors. How do you get between the pre and power amps for time based effects? Or do you run them into the front. I know some guys run delays and such right into the front of there amps.

I've only just recently tapped into the MIDI realm. I'm a little slow with this stuff, lol. You've got a good idea in that I should be able to do a 4, 3 or 2 cable method and still be able to use the virtual chain to control effects before and after the preamp. Hmmmmmmm.

I'm going to have to see what happens when I try a few things.

I've only just recently tapped into the MIDI realm. I'm a little slow with this stuff, lol. You've got a good idea in that I should be able to do a 4, 3 or 2 cable method and still be able to use the virtual chain to control effects before and after the preamp. Hmmmmmmm.

The only limiting thing I have found so far is when L6 Link is plugged in, the front input jack is disabled. Makes sense from an engineering view point. That, and not being able to give unique MIDI commands to a second DT without L6 Link.

I know you enjoy tinkering as I do. Gotta load up and meet a new group of guys who like classic rock, southern rock and blues. That's right up this old mans alley. 

• Upvote 1

The only limiting thing I have found so far is when L6 Link is plugged in, the front input jack is disabled. Makes sense from an engineering view point. That, and not being able to give unique MIDI commands to a second DT without L6 Link.

I know you enjoy tinkering as I do. Gotta load up and meet a new group of guys who like classic rock, southern rock and blues. That's right up this old mans alley. 

I didn't actually know that the amps front input was disabled when L6 Link was enabled. I think you can still operate multiple DT's with MIDI since the there are different channels, but I'm not completely sure where the controllability ends, lol. I think the main idea with the L6 Link was to be able to all the available options with just 3 cables (for 4 DT's).

I'm a tinkerer but I make sure I limit my technical tinkerings so that it doesn't consume me. I always make sure I play guitar more than tinker with tech. A man's gotta know his limitations, lol. Self discipline is key.

Have fun jamm'in with your friends sounds like fun and music I would like too. Thanks for for all cool ideas, keep it going!

While you guys having fun tinkering with the DTs, do not forget that you can control the DT power amp section from a muted HD path A into any configuration all the preamp models utilize plus deviations controlled via the DT control section AND use totally different amp settings in path B (including no amp model). This enables even boost control for Type I and III power amp configurations without a need for MIDI cables and a little extra power amp Presence control (admittedly at the expense of needing a second preamp model in path A; I use a preamp to minimize DSP load)).

• Upvote 1

I messed around with all the settings.
What I think I'm going to do is this:
I went in with DT Edit and set up Topography III to be no amp voicing.
Then I set it up on the amp to be in triode mode.

Then I went from the HD left unbalanced output into the effects return. I set the HD 500 output to "Line" and also the switch on the right hand side beside the expression pedal to "Line"
I know those should have been theoretically set to "Combo Power Amp" and "Amp" respectively. But they just sound better and fuller in my opinion set to line.

I am sending the right unbalanced output of the HD 500 to the mixer. I mix from stage so I'm able to use a short 15 foot cable to do it.
That's the other reason I am only using topography III on the amp with no voicing inside the DT. That allows my patches in the HD 500 to maintain the same volumes to both the amp and the front of house mixer (especially the volume difference between my lead and my crunch tones)

The reason I'm not sending from the amp itself to the front of house is because you really have to crank the amp to get enough signal out of it's xlr out to go to the mixer. And I don't want to have all the stage bleed. I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked trying to get a good compromise. But it was always the amp too loud onstage. So I finally went with the separate send from the HD500 straight to the board. And it works great!

So with this set up...I'm able to send a nice strong signal from the HD 500 to the P.A. and at the same time have a great tone at a nice low volume (or high volume if I want) through the amp. And having that amp behind me singing with tubes catches my strings on leads and gives me that great singing sustain which translates through the HD 500 feed to the mixer for out front. :)

• Upvote 1

I always use L6 link too.  I'm wondering if you found any discernable difference other than (possibly) volume in your testing.

Here too, Brazzy, I'm wondering why you aren't using L6 Link, and if there's any way you can A/B these connection schemes, and if so, what do you hear?

I messed around with all the settings.

What I think I'm going to do is this:

I went in with DT Edit and set up Topography III to be no amp voicing.

Then I set it up on the amp to be in triode mode.

Then I went from the HD left unbalanced output into the effects return. I set the HD 500 output to "Line" and also the switch on the right hand side beside the expression pedal to "Line"

I know those should have been theoretically set to "Combo Power Amp" and "Amp" respectively. But they just sound better and fuller in my opinion set to line.

I am sending the right unbalanced output of the HD 500 to the mixer. I mix from stage so I'm able to use a short 15 foot cable to do it.

That's the other reason I am only using topography III on the amp with no voicing inside the DT. That allows my patches in the HD 500 to maintain the same volumes to both the amp and the front of house mixer (especially the volume difference between my lead and my crunch tones)

The reason I'm not sending from the amp itself to the front of house is because you really have to crank the amp to get enough signal out of it's xlr out to go to the mixer. And I don't want to have all the stage bleed. I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked trying to get a good compromise. But it was always the amp too loud onstage. So I finally went with the separate send from the HD500 straight to the board. And it works great!

So with this set up...I'm able to send a nice strong signal from the HD 500 to the P.A. and at the same time have a great tone at a nice low volume (or high volume if I want) through the amp. And having that amp behind me singing with tubes catches my strings on leads and gives me that great singing sustain which translates through the HD 500 feed to the mixer for out front. :)

I'm inferring that you have a DT50, correct?  And you're using the full amp/cab/mic sims in your HD, in studio/direct mode?  This is then fed to the PA at line level--why not use the balanced output from your pod instead?  And your DT (50?) is functioning solely as your stage monitor, fed by the full amp/cab/mic sims?

I always use L6 link too.  I'm wondering if you found any discernable difference other than (possibly) volume in your testing.

Here too, Brazzy, I'm wondering why you aren't using L6 Link, and if there's any way you can A/B these connection schemes, and if so, what do you hear?

I mentioned in one of my other posts that after I got my DT back from the shop the DT's firmware update was not updated which lead me to believe that the tech just replaced a board and didn't update it. It was updated before I sent it back but anyway when I tried to use the the L6 Link and it didn't work. Yes it didn't work, so while I was updating the DT's firmware I was looking at the MIDI implementation guide and decided to hook up the Pod with the one MIDI cable I had here and try it to see how that operates. I set up a patch using just MIDI, plugged the Strat into the front of the amp and was pleasantly surprised compared to what I remember the L6 Link sounded like the first time I used it but that before I started to realize I was having technical issues with the Amp itself.

When I found good tone using the MIDI from the Pod to control the DT I just started having fun, which is what it's all about IMO. When I started having fun I forgot about the L6 Link, lol.

L6 Link vs unbalanced out into DT effects loop return = Not really to me with these settings. Other settings can and I will try to eventually post some audio when I can. I would like to hear robbie61 post L6 Link vs unbalanced into the effects return clips for us to appreciate the differences he is getting because he said there is a dramatic difference in his experience.

L6 Link vs straight into the front of the DT = Yes.

I tried to set up both audio clips up the same way. I set up a patch for L6 Link with no effects. I used a Blackface Double Norm Pre with all the pre amp settings at 50% except pre amp master at 100%. No cab.

I set the DT up the same way for the straight in version. 

The following audio clips might not be the best but they give you an idea of the difference. They were recorded with an AGK C214 from about 3 feet away into Audacity, then exported as mp3 files.

https://soundcloud.com/cipherhost-1/sets/l6-link-vs-straight-into-dt

To me, the L6 Link sounds compressed, which can be good if that is what you want. The Straight in clip sounds more dynamic, and I can always add compression if I want, but I don't see how you can un-compress the L6 Link version.

The pre amps in the HD 500X and the DT25 have been reported to be the same, and I don't doubt that. I suppose it is the Analog vs Digital conversions that alter the tone. The dB loss I have read about may also play a roll.

To each their own.

Edited by CipherHost
  • Upvote 1

L6 Link vs unbalanced out into DT effects loop return = Not really to me with these settings. Other settings can and I will try to eventually post some audio when I can. I would like to hear robbie61 post L6 Link vs unbalanced into the effects return clips for us to appreciate the differences he is getting because he said there is a dramatic difference in his experience.

L6 Link vs straight into the front of the DT = Yes.

I tried to set up both audio clips up the same way. I set up a patch for L6 Link with no effects. I used a Blackface Double Norm Pre with all the pre amp settings at 50% except pre amp master at 100%. No cab.

I set the DT up the same way for the straight in version. 

The following audio clips might not be the best but they give you an idea of the difference. They were recorded with an AGK C214 from about 3 feet away into Audacity, then exported as mp3 files.

https://soundcloud.com/cipherhost-1/sets/l6-link-vs-straight-into-dt

To me, the L6 Link sounds compressed, which can be good if that is what you want. The Straight in clip sounds more dynamic, and I can always add compression if I want, but I don't see how you can un-compress the L6 Link version.

The pre amps in the HD 500X and the DT25 have been reported to be the same, and I don't doubt that. I suppose it is the Analog vs Digital conversions that alter the tone. The dB loss I have read about may also play a roll.

To each their own.

awesome job--thanks!!  

this is pretty interesting stuff, that's for sure.  but i need to know, how do you explain the huge difference in volume between the samples?  unless that happened during "mastering" or in other words was a result of outputting one recording at a higher volume than the other, then there's a variable here that might actually be the cause of the difference in sound.  after doing my best to match the DT volume with the l6 link volume, i agree that the l6 link one seems more compressed.  but what if that's  because the speaker was not being adequately driven into the responsive sweet spot on that take?  or, what if it's your recording rig's responsiveness differed due to the volume difference when recording?

one thing i found--other before me, actually--is that  when using the l6 link it's better if the pod volume is at half mast or below.  that's another damn variable, eh?

awesome job--thanks!!  

this is pretty interesting stuff, that's for sure.  but i need to know, how do you explain the huge difference in volume between the samples?  unless that happened during "mastering" or in other words was a result of outputting one recording at a higher volume than the other, then there's a variable here that might actually be the cause of the difference in sound.  after doing my best to match the DT volume with the l6 link volume, i agree that the l6 link one seems more compressed.  but what if that's  because the speaker was not being adequately driven into the responsive sweet spot on that take?  or, what if it's your recording rig's responsiveness differed due to the volume difference when recording?

one thing i found--other before me, actually--is that  when using the l6 link it's better if the pod volume is at half mast or below.  that's another damn variable, eh?

The signal went from the mic to my PreSonus Audiobox USB into my Mac via USB. All the settings remained constant between clips and no mastering or alterations to the recordings. I just exported to mp3 files.

I set the virtual pre amp in POD HD500X Edit to the same positions on the DT. I didn't really think the volume difference was huge, but the volume difference may be that I used Input 1 = guitar, Input 2 = Variax. There were no effects in the chain so the signal hit the pre amp first and that is considered a mono "effect". I "normally" use those inputs unless I run dual amps, then Input 1 and 2 are the same. Setting both to the same with one amp can push harder but sometimes you may run into clipping. The POD Master volume was set to 12 o'clock. The DTs were set to 10 o'clock. I used the same guitar, same patch cable, had one DT L6 Linked and the other straight in. The both had identical DT25 heads and Egnator Tweeker 112 cabs. They were both sitting on hardwood floors. (I have to get me something to get the cabs off the floor) 

I could have compensated the volume levels but I don't feel like that would be a true comparison.

Nice post and comparison. Thanks for sharing that. It's been a while since I used the L6 Link but I'm pretty sure it sounded compressed also at least compared to going into the front of the amp.

The other day I was using the Pod's MIDI and the signal chain by going into the Pod with my guitar and out the 1/4" L Mono into the front of the DT. This way I was able to control using MIDI and also add a compressor, distortion or wah in front of the DT. This worked good too. If you do this you must understand that if you want to use the MIDI you need to be on that screen (press and hold the Pods MOVE button) and if you want to change a patch or turn on/off an effect you must be looking at the "Signal Chain".

I've been recording my moves via MIDI with the "MIDI Mobilizer II" and an old iPad so I can access my moves with it without having to go from screen to screen. I'm still trying to get better with this. It's pretty neat too. I know there are other MIDI controllers out there but since I have this one I'm trying to use it the best I can, lol.

The signal went from the mic to my PreSonus Audiobox USB into my Mac via USB. All the settings remained constant between clips and no mastering or alterations to the recordings. I just exported to mp3 files.

I set the virtual pre amp in POD HD500X Edit to the same positions on the DT. I didn't really think the volume difference was huge, but the volume difference may be that I used Input 1 = guitar, Input 2 = Variax. There were no effects in the chain so the signal hit the pre amp first and that is considered a mono "effect". I "normally" use those inputs unless I run dual amps, then Input 1 and 2 are the same. Setting both to the same with one amp can push harder but sometimes you may run into clipping. The POD Master volume was set to 12 o'clock. The DTs were set to 10 o'clock. I used the same guitar, same patch cable, had one DT L6 Linked and the other straight in. The both had identical DT25 heads and Egnator Tweeker 112 cabs. They were both sitting on hardwood floors. (I have to get me something to get the cabs off the floor) 

I could have compensated the volume levels but I don't feel like that would be a true comparison.

that all makes sense, but the volume disparity is huge, right?  it's like double the fader value from the one clip to the other, so it's like from 9:00 to 12:00 on a knob.  this probably isn't a fair test either, but what if you turned up the HD's volume to equalize the clips?  or swapped the amps around (those volume control adjustments don't produce linear results, and may vary from amp to amp).  

or not, if you don't think it's worth it.  i just remembered that the DTs have a boost setting that you can't get at except via DT edit, so I may start poking around with MIDI myself.  Plus, yeah, I was just playing and wondering why it sounded so compressed...

i just remembered that DT edit has a boost setting that you can't get at any other way, so I may start poking around with MIDI myself.

The 12AX7 Boost works good. You can also switch from 25 Watt Mode to 50 Watt Mode. I've got more things to try, lol.