Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with live sound

MikeTicehurst

Can anyone help me out

I have recently started playing live & I need some help in regards to my live sound

I have got the sound that I want using my Pod HD500 with my DT25, but I have this sound at bedroom/recording levels

Obviously playing live the amp is turned up to higher levels (to compete with a drummer) & the bass end of my sound needs taming.

I am aware of the perceived loudness of different frequencies so am going to dial in a Graphic Eq (in the Pod HD500) but am wondering where in the signal chain it should go - immediately after the amp & prior to delay/ reverb effects is my first though but is this right?

Any thoughts?

last in the chain is where I would put a loudness correction Q....FYI, with the firmware 2.62 update there is a pretty decent Global EQ in the Setup menu that could be used for this very thing and you would not have to visit each patch to make your loudness correction.

Thanks for your reply.

Last in the chain.. Does that mean after any delays/reverb - literally the last effect in the chain.

I tend to do my sound editing using the HD500 edit.

Is this global EQ accessible from the HD500 editor?

My thinking was to put it on the patch I use live & just switch the EQ on when playing live

Yes, exactly....after everything....No, the global EQ is NOT in the editor....It's the last page of the setup menu on the HD500...However, I think that you are using a DT amp based on the tags? If you are, this will not work as the Global EQ only affects the analog outs....You might have to do your FX block idea...

Ok thanks very much.

I think for ease of use I'll put a graphic EQ in my live patch & switch it in & out when required

If I use the Global EQ then it will need adjusting whenever I play live & when recording/practising at bedroom levels

Once again thanks for your reply.

OR 

Do not turn yourself up louder. 

Let the PA do its job. 

If you need more volume have him run it in the monitors. 

The other option is to run direct, and use your amp as your personal monitor instead of a sound source for the pa.