Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dumb Question on Hooking POD to Computer/Speakers

robertmcollins3

I thought I had this figured out, but apparently something isn't right.  I'm not getting accurate/good sound from my computer speakers but getting great sound through headphones (I don't expect them to be the same, but they aren't even close).  So I did an experiment to see where the issue was.  

I plugged the speakers directly into the POD headphone jack and viola, great sound again.  But of course now I can't hear the computer. So the problem is either the computer or how I have it set up.

This is what I was doing:

POD headphone jack--->line in of computer

Speakers--->speaker jack of computer

But it sounds horrible.  I remember reading something about using POD as the computer soundcard, and maybe this is where I've gone wrong.  Can someone post how to go about doing this?  Or tell me the best way to do this?  I'm not using any other kind of input (headphone amp, digital interface, recording software, etc).  I just want to be able to play along to music on my computer/youtube.  I don't do any recording, etc...

Any assistance is appreciated!

I thought I had this figured out, but apparently something isn't right.  I'm not getting accurate/good sound from my computer speakers but getting great sound through headphones (I don't expect them to be the same, but they aren't even close).  So I did an experiment to see where the issue was.  

I plugged the speakers directly into the POD headphone jack and viola, great sound again.  But of course now I can't hear the computer. So the problem is either the computer or how I have it set up.

This is what I was doing:

POD headphone jack--->line in of computer

Speakers--->speaker jack of computer

But it sounds horrible.  I remember reading something about using POD as the computer soundcard, and maybe this is where I've gone wrong.  Can someone post how to go about doing this?  Or tell me the best way to do this?  I'm not using any other kind of input (headphone amp, digital interface, recording software, etc).  I just want to be able to play along to music on my computer/youtube.  I don't do any recording, etc...

Any assistance is appreciated!

Leave the speaker connected to the pods headphone jack and then make sure your computers sound settings have the pod as the 'default" playback device. You can hear your computer through the pod as well as your guitar. You can also adjust levels with the "volume mixer".

I the manual > http://line6.com/data/6/0a06434dfb244f7b7f489af64/application/pdf/POD%20HD500%20Advanced%20Guide%20v2.0%20-%20English%20%28%20Rev%20A%20%29.pdf > go to page 9-10 for windows set up.

Edited by Brazzy

:lol: Feeling a little dumb now.

Thanks, works great.  Was definitely overthinking that one.  Last question (another dumb one) - the POD has to be turned on now anytime I want to hear sound from the computer right?

Your Welcome.

Yes it needs to be turned on if it's USB is connected. You can also just switch to the computers soundcard manually at anytime although it may not suit you.

If you disconnect the Pods USB your computer will revert to it's own soundcard. If you reconnect the Pod's USB you may have to make sure it's the default again or it may automatically become the default. Lately, I've been running Win 8.1 OS and more than a few times I've had to manually make sure the Pod is the default after disconnecting and reconnecting.

Also, I've got a KB37 and noticed that If I just leave it's USB plugged in and I restart the computer it will connect as the default soundcard but the midi part won't work unless disconnect it and reconnect it's USB. Weird thing but it's happening, lol. Easy workaround really.

Remember, there's really no dumb questions.

Also, if you don't want to use the computer/Pod USB you can run the computers headphone out into the Pods mp3 input. Not a bad way of connecting since the Pods USB can be delicate and broken easy if not careful and your not recording anything anyway. Just a thought.

Edited by Brazzy
  • Upvote 1

Yes it needs to be turned if it's USB is connected. You can also just switch to the computers soundcard manually at anytime although it may not suit you.

If you disconnect the Pods USB your computer will revert to it's own soundcard. If you reconnect the Pod's USB you may have to make sure it's the default again or it may automatically become the default. Lately, I've been running Win 8.1 OS and more than a few times I've had to manually make sure the Pod is the default after disconnecting and reconnecting.

Well it's definitely sounding much better now.  My only dilemma now is I'd rather not have to turn on the POD just to hear sound from the computer.  Right now if I turn off the POD, it's like I don't have speakers, since that's where they are connected.  Is there any work around for this besides having to go back behind the computer to plug the speakers back into it (or turn on the POD)?  Sorry if you answered that already, maybe I misunderstood.

Well it's definitely sounding much better now.  My only dilemma now is I'd rather not have to turn on the POD just to hear sound from the computer.  Right now if I turn off the POD, it's like I don't have speakers, since that's where they are connected.  Is there any work around for this besides having to go back behind the computer to plug the speakers back into it (or turn on the POD)?  Sorry if you answered that already, maybe I misunderstood.

Have you tried just unplugging the Pod? You don't need to turn it off.

If you unplug the Pod your computer should go to it's own soundcard.

That's what I mean, just unplugging it.  It doesn't have an on/off switch.  When I unplug it, the computer says I have no speakers hooked up since they are plugged into it.

You might need to unplug the Pod USB and then unplug your speakers from the pod and plug them into the computers speaker jack.

Does your computer have it's own speakers or is it a desktop?

I'm totally fine with doing that, but the problem is the speakers are hooked directly into the POD.  So unless I unhook them and put them back into the computer itself, I still won't have sound....right?

So here is now my current setup: 

Speakers (good)--->Headphone out of POD.  Have to turn on POD (meaning plug it in) to hear them.

Speakers (cheap)---->Out of Computer.  Not as high quality but fine for general use and don't have to turn on POD to hear them.

Any other ideas??  I still feel like I'm making this way too complicated.

I'm totally fine with doing that, but the problem is the speakers are hooked directly into the POD.  So unless I unhook them and put them back into the computer itself, I still won't have sound....right?

So here is now my current setup: 

Speakers (good)--->Headphone out of POD.  Have to turn on POD (meaning plug it in) to hear them.

Speakers (cheap)---->Out of Computer.  Not as high quality but fine for general use and don't have to turn on POD to hear them.

Any other ideas??  I still feel like I'm making this way too complicated.

All you need to do is get another set of speakers if you don't want to have to keep disconnecting and reconnecting speakers. If you get two sets of speakers (one for Pod and one for computer) all you should have to do is power down your Pod and the computer should find the other set of speakers. This stuff is easy but if your not familiar with it all one can become confused. After you get enough experience things these things get easier.

This really has no relevance to your actual problem but;

I know people that all ones got to do to completely throw them off is change the layout of the web page they go to for their email. I mean it's that easy to mess them up. I've seen them completely lost cause of this type of thing.