Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"Original" Dream Rig 5150

Greetings!

I have been reading so much about Helix lately, and of course I want it (though with DT compatibility done better, which I voted for the other day on Idea Scale).

Yet, today I had some "me" time alone in the house, and was able to crank up my "original" dream rig of DT25/HD500/JTV59.  I started playing around with the Panama preamp.  The reputation it had was that of a buzzing like a swarm of bees.

But when put through some DT magic, I was able to get out a rich lead tone.  I played around with different topologies and cabs, but I ended up like top IV and the deafult Uber cab. The key for me was to use topology IV so it wouldn't be so over the top bright.  The other key was keeping the gain low.  I love a high gain lead sound, and I was amazed at good this preamp could sound with a gain of just 42%.  I put the input 2 source at Same to give it that extra digital punch that I like in a lead sound (usually I don't keep it on Same).

Anyway, I uploaded it to Custom Tone.  I haven't been on there in ages.  I recall being able to add comments to the tone, but there was no option.  Anyway, the tone pretty much explains itself.  I didn't have time to try and record a sound sample, as I preferred to spend my time enjoying the yummy tone!

Here it is:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1109012/

I know it's hard to compare tones, but I figured with the same amp/JTV combo it would be easier.

• Upvote 2