Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

variax/hd500/elevenrack

bvgration28

ok....

Ive been a loyal user of the HD500 for 3 years now also own 2 jtv-59s. I just bought a used eleven rack to be used as a recording interface because i got it so cheap. I have been messing with tones and created some great patches. I would like to try them out live but something just occured to me.... I use my JTV's religously in my live show and DEPEND on my hd500 to do all the switching on the guitars for me. So.....

Is there a way to experiment via midi to use the hd500 to control my jtvs as well as my eleven rack patches. I would only be using the hd500 as footswitch to change patches in the eleven rack at the same time as changing my jtv settings?

I know the hd500 will change the eleven rack patches but not sure if it will do both....

Hope this is enough info.... WOuld love to hear some thoughts on this?

Thanks

Beau

Is there a way to experiment via midi to use the hd500 to control my jtvs as well as my eleven rack patches. I would only be using the hd500 as footswitch to change patches in the eleven rack at the same time as changing my jtv settings?

How will you connect the JTV to the eleven rack ? Straight to the Eleven with a 1/4" jack from the JTV or via FX loop on the HD ? I wonder whitch sounds best...

Sammy

You will need to connect the JTV via VDI to your HD500 so that the HD500 can control the JTV model switching and to power the JTV. You will need to connect the JTV 1/4" output to your Elevenrack Guitar Input to get the guitar signal into the Elevenrack for processing. Do not connect the HD500 audio outputs to anything.

• Upvote 1

Sp i have to run two cables out opf my guitar.... That seems like a pain in the lollipop.... I would thing you should be able to setup patched with the guitar model selected zand run midi from the pod to the eleven and it should somehow work... I gues im just confised on whey you would need two cables out of the guitar if they are doing the same thing?

The two cables are not doing the same thing. One carries digital data - the VDI cable - which is how the HD500 controls the JTV. The VDI cable also carries digital audio to the HD500, but that cannot be transparently communicated to the Elevenrack; it must go through the HD500 processing. In order to get the dry JTV guitar signal to the Eleven rack you need the standard analog audio output from the JTV.

If you want to connect the processed HD500 output to the Elevenrack input you could do that but that is still a second cable, and would yield inferior results because the output guitar signal is not completely dry. It would at the very least undergo D/A and A/D conversions.

• 5 months later...

Interesting Question.

I was thinking about getting the helix but at the moment it is not available and the cost doesn't attract me at the moment.

So I'm just about buying an Eleven rack because I get a pretty good deal and always wanted to try it out.

I still have my HD500 and use it. Depending on how much I like the Eleven Rack I decide which one to keep.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the HD500 as a controller for the Eleven Rack? I also have the Variax but I do not use the modeling switching with the HD500 that much. I just curiouse if it would be possible to change patches on the 11r or switch single Effects on and off with the HD500 using as a controller.

ok....

Ive been a loyal user of the HD500 for 3 years now also own 2 jtv-59s. I just bought a used eleven rack to be used as a recording interface because i got it so cheap. I have been messing with tones and created some great patches. I would like to try them out live but something just occured to me.... I use my JTV's religously in my live show and DEPEND on my hd500 to do all the switching on the guitars for me. So.....

I know the hd500 will change the eleven rack patches but not sure if it will do both....

Hope this is enough info.... WOuld love to hear some thoughts on this?

Thanks

Beau

I want to figure out how to use my HD500x as a controller for my Eleven Rack too! Are there presets that can store the appropriate MIDI commands, or are they too specific to the 11R patches? I have the Helix on preorder, but have no need to sell my HD500x, figured this is a good time to learn how to use it as a MIDI controller.

As for using it with a JTV as well; I suppose you could send a 'dry' signal from the HD500 to the Eleven Rack. In theory, since the HD500 can listen to both the dry mag pickups AND the JTV modeled signal, you could do some interesting things with how you feed the Eleven Rack. But it's not ideal, because the HD500 would be an extra interface. However, since the Variax cable is sending digital to the HD500, it's not necesarily a hinderance to use the HD50 as the JTV front end. Certainly better than risking burning it out by using both the 1/4" and VDI outputs!

Gives me some food for thought.. I sold my JTV a while back, but still have my eye on the Variax Standard if I can get one for a low enough price. I miss being able to process both the mags and the models independent from each other. You could output two mono dry signals to the Eleven Rack, maybe make use of left and right line inputs on the rear of the 11R, to feed dry magnetic and dry variax model.

Not sure the 11R processing capability, but you could run a JTV acoustic model through the HD500 effects before it goes to the 11R, and also send the dry mags to the 11R as an electric guitar signal to be amp model processed by the 11R instead of the HD500..