Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tape Echo

pwhittles

I'm a longtime user of the HD500x and I love it

However, The tape delay is worthless

Tape delay pedals are expensive

An emulator like the Strymon El Capistan is about $300

A REAL tape delay like the SSTE is over 1k

How is the tape delay in the Helix?

Is it credible?

I own several Gretsches and a REAL SOLID tape delay is essential, not just for playing Mystery Train

The HD500x tape delay is SO bad. It makes my teeth hurt

It's the only 'bad' effect IMO

I'm quite impressed by the Leslie emulation btw

Well, let me put it this way. The best digital tape delay emulation I've heard is the Strymon stuff. I used to have the El Capistan, and I still have the TimeLine. I think the new HX Tape Echo is getting pretty darn close to the Strymon. There are few more parameters on Strymon's model, so I can't say they're equal, but the new Line 6 model sounds awesome. It's one of my go-to effects as well, so it was one of the first ones I tried.

• Upvote 1

Well, let me put it this way. The best digital tape delay emulation I've heard is the Strymon stuff. I used to have the El Capistan, and I still have the TimeLine. I think the new HX Tape Echo is getting pretty darn close to the Strymon. There are few more parameters on Strymon's model, so I can't say they're equal, but the new Line 6 model sounds awesome. It's one of my go-to effects as well, so it was one of the first ones I tried.

Thanks.

I mentioned the Strymon also as the industry standard great Tape Echo emulator.

I've 2 HD500's - a Desktop and a HD500X.

Might be time to sell both and get a Helix. I'm just thinking the price will drop a bit after the early adopter phase is over

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmmm I sold my STRYMON pedals to fund the Helix and downscale the huge board I had. Fingers crossed on the delay sounds.

Is the delay in getting them out just a matter of manufacturing enough of them to start shipping?

There's no delay. Line 6 said form the start that the floor version of Helix would ship by the "end of Summer", which is September 23rd, while the rack ships in the Fall. Musicians Friend anticipates the floor version's release to be around September 11th. So far, that's within the time frame Line 6 announced. Be patient. We all want it just as bad :-).

• 1 month later...