Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Show off your Pod HD rigs!

AlexKenivel

post-1431804-0-03758900-1436697998_thumb.jpg

My rig

Sorry for the 90° turn. I don't know how to use this here correctly. I shot the pic vertically to get the Headphones into. On my phone it looked alright...

So: The HD500, going into  EH Magnum 44 and a 1x12 noName Cab from Harley Benton.

The Headphones are basically always plugged in for playing silent.

I experimented with some of the Wah that are built in. But also have my big old heavy nearly lollipoped up Dunlop Crybaby in front of everything. But I don't know. I think it adds some kind of buzzing to the whole sound.

post-1431804-0-03758900-1436697998_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

My rig

Sorry for the 90° turn. I don't know how to use this here correctly. I shot the pic vertically to get the Headphones into. On my phone it looked alright...

So: The HD500, going into  EH Magnum 44 and a 1x12 noName Cab from Harley Benton.

The Headphones are basically always plugged in for playing silent.

I experimented with some of the Wah that are built in. But also have my big old heavy nearly lollipop up Dunlop Crybaby in front of everything. But I don't know. I think it adds some kind of buzzing to the whole sound.

LOL. When I first looked at this, the floor was a wall and the wall was a wall with a book/cd/video arrangement correctly aligned. Then I tilted my head and the floor was a floor but the wall was a wall with a book/cd/video arrangement incorrectly aligned.

Kinda hard to see it but I've mounted my 500x with my wireless receiver in an old fender steel guitar case. I'm running into a 1972 Pro Reverb with an old Fender 2 x 12 for when I need more umph.

That is one awesome tie-wrap!

20150613_235950.jpg20150614_000009.jpgcollage_20140808091450569.jpgcollage_20141209082346820.jpg

Here's a few pics of my current Rig and the evolution from the older variax models (a maple neck 600 to a JTV 69 to go with my jtv 89).

The top picture shows what's patched into the back of my 500x which is basically:

JTV 69 into variax input

JTV 89 into guitar input

L6 link out to my dt25 which is feeding of the Left output of the POD mixer

DI out of my Right XLR straight to the desk.

I run like this for a few reasons: Firstly all my patches have their inputs set to both variax and guitar input (apart from a few special patches like a spilt acoustic/Electric dual tone) which means if a guitar dies or breaks a string I can just grab option B (usually the 89 on a guitar cable) without unplugging/plugging in guitars (which can be slow on the digital neutrik connections with the variax's). If this happens I just need to manually change models and/or tunings on my 89 as required.

All my tones are dual tones with different sounds out of left and right, although most patches share effects (for example a tube driver on fs1 which will feed both amps). I set my output to studio direct (Manually because the L6 defaults it to combo out) but run the Left side of my signal which feeds the dt25 with no cab sim and usually pre version of the amps. The right side uses full models with cab sims, and different amps to the left for a bigger stereo sound.

This combination serves a few purposes, mostly a bigger better sound due to the two different amp models panned left and right feeding front of house. It also means I always have redundancy if one of my channels goes down (Eg if the dt25 blew a tube), they always have the other side they can work in mono. The DT is also the backup if the POD dies, I just go old school 2 channel and ride the guitar volume more.

The complexities are remembering to set it to studio out manually, ensuring the FOH guys hard pans my signals, and making sure the monitor guy only sends me my Right signal though the wedge, as I get plenty of my Left channel through the DT25 on stage. I get a cool, fat front and back stereo image from this set up and a blend of my favourite amps without potential phasing issues that occur when blending models.

I'm lucky in that I mostly play big rooms (500-3000 people) with good quality PA support. I had thought about running dual DT amps but this method gives me the best of both DT setup and a FRFR speaker, which is ideal for some of the acoustic stuff I do.

I do play smaller gigs too, and take smaller rigs on fly in/fly out gigs, often just my JTV 69 and HD500x, for which I have a whole other set of patches set up to go direct to the PA. In this case where possible I ask for a stereo Foldback set up, or if that's not possible I still send stereo to FOH but only ask for one side of my signal through foldback (again to avoid phasing).

I do love my dream rig setup, I play a pretty wide variety of stuff and as a guy with a studio production background I really do enjoy being able to bring a very versatile, complex set of sounds to the gigs. It's always a balance between have solid core sounds and also setting up specials sounds for specific required tones (eg a vocoder for 'livin on a prayer', or organ sound for 'lonely boy') but that's half the fun.

If you have any questions, happy to answer them. Cheers, Ben.

• Upvote 5

Mine is a Joyo RD3, its a pretty good fit, solid case and removable wheels make it very portable. I did make a firm wedge out of cardboard and gaff to go under the front half of the pod so the footswitches sit up and out of the case, and as you can see I have a thin piece of foam that sits on the side, I also have a piece of removable foam I put in above the pod where the I/O section is for transport, but it gets removed and kept with the lid when in use. The removable lid is great too.

I came to Line 6 pod HD500X out of necessity. As a Guitarist who also plays Keyboards my rigs were getting cumbersome. So to make things lighter I researched what was out there and came across the HD500X. Bought it last year and it shared my keyboard rig for a while. I discovered I was under powered so bought 2 ekho powered monitors and a Behringer mixer to make things a bit louder. I've now added a Variax Standard to my arsenal.

My Variax Classic.tiff

post-2198443-0-00971700-1437685697_thumb.jpg

post-2198443-0-58614000-1437685790_thumb.jpg

post-2198443-0-60629800-1437685978_thumb.jpg

post-2198443-0-29997000-1437686075_thumb.jpg

post-2198443-0-37727800-1437686156_thumb.jpg

post-2198443-0-75891700-1437686435_thumb.jpg

post-2198443-0-98289900-1437686489_thumb.jpg

post-2198443-0-28728900-1437687019_thumb.jpg

I came to Line 6 pod HD500X out of necessity. As a Guitarist who also plays Keyboards my rigs were getting cumbersome. So to make things lighter I researched what was out there and came across the HD500X. 

My "rock and roll" keyboards (which is different than my solo dinner theater piano) always went straight to the pa and were fed back through the monitors. 

Now, thanks to my pod, my guitar does the same thing. 

OK, finally got it all put together like I want and need. Using just the HD for my Variax Standard running wireless with the X2 racked up. Digitech Vocalist Pro for vocal effects and harmonies as needed with a separate controller for that off to the left. All the direct outs plug right into that last rack level....quick set up, compact, and gig ready for this weekend!

PS-100%20Pic%203_zpsunnpadm6.jpg

PS-100%20Pic%202_zpsilrv43cm.jpg

• Upvote 3

It's a pretty simple rig, but I am determined to fit within it. Did a country gig a few weeks back and got all my clean tones together, but this weekend is a reunion gig with some guys I played with in a rock cover band back in the 80s. I hadn't got my crunch tones together and had just a few minutes last night and dialed around, pulled up the JCM 800 head and went, "hey, this will work". Of course that's what I was playing through back in the 80s; a Marshall JCM 800 stack...funny...it sounds just like it. NOT doing the spandex again though!

• 2 weeks later...

this is my current rig

pod hd500x 4cable method in to either the brunetti xl revo 60watt or my recently purchased jet city 22h, selfmade oversized 212 cab, eminence governors

on the pedal board a boss compressor , morley volume pedal , brunetti mercury drive expression pedal for pod

signal chain: guitar-boss cs4 > morley volume > podhd pre preamp effects (wah overdrive etc)> podhd fx loop send > brunetti mercury drive > front jet city/ brunetti > fx loop send (amp) > fx loop return pod > podhd post preamp effects (delay reverb soloboost) > pod 3/4 inch out to amps effects return.

i also use amp models by switching the fx loop block off and an amp model on (visa versa) both assinged to one switch fs7 , basicly adding an extra channel.

very happy with my setup

post-115197-0-51731900-1439824823_thumb.jpg

post-115197-0-54013400-1439824838_thumb.jpg

post-115197-0-53188200-1439826226_thumb.jpg

Just took my HD out of my rig and went back to pedals through my DT25. depending on how I feel after our string of 9 gigs over the next couple months the HD may be retired completely. It is an extremely flexible tool, but I felt I was tweaking too much and never really satisfied with the tone. I've come full circle lol. I can't wait to post some vids with the amp to compare live tones with my HD going direct from a few months ago. Should be eye-opening one way or the other.

You guys got some crazy rigs!

Just finished my first "custom" board build (custom meaning plywood and paint :D ). Got a great heavy duty case but the board it came with was too small. I prefer a lift out style case like this so I can swap back and forth with an alternate board with regular stomps. Heavy as hell but should be a lot quicker to setup!

EyPDL8kl.jpg

Two2pW9l.jpg

MUBsEUxl.jpg

6O2Q39yl.jpg

Z5Cj2KDl.jpg

KvS5yIPl.jpg

• Upvote 1