Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

StageSource L2t as Stereo Monitors; select L6 Link channel?

After the success and great sound of a L2t with my HD500 I have gone mad and got another on the theory that I might have some fun with stereo - especially when using my Motif XF keyboard as well.

So last night as soon as I got home I was testing the L2t as a stereo pair with a closed loop L6 Link placed on the ground (because my old speakers are on the stands and I haven't had a chance to shift them yet) and it sounded quite good from the iPod, except it was a bit bass heavy due to the floor, so I tried turning them on their sides as floor monitors and lost Stereo. I do appreciate that the Quick Start Guide does explain that when put on their sides that they go L+R (displaying "b"), so the behaviour is not unexpected.

Is there any way to set a specific speaker to be "L", "L+R" or "R" irrespective of mode (such as Floor Monitor) - and even if that is not possible how do you define L and R correctly if you have a closed loop pair because I got it wrong and couldn't see how to change it.

It would be quite cool to have the pair as stereo floor monitors but that appears to be only possible if they are fed an analogue signal independently.

I would guess that you could depower and repower, the first to get switched on being L, the second R, but, that is a complete guess.

On their side, you could always press the speaker mode button to return them back to PA/reference or, if preferred Playback which I assume is for recorded music. Perhaps, using the speaker mode button, you could also reasign L/R? What happens if you put both into Monitor, then set your L speaker back to PA/reference first, then repeat with R speaker.

The kind of distict L L+R R control is available via the M20d, but it isn't available on the speakers themselves.

Good guess... but not quite

I did some experimentation now I am at home and this is what I discovered:

On their sides they are in "b" L+R no matter what you do in terms of speaker mode or connections or powering up sequence.  So it appears that without an M20d you can't change this [damn - I know somebody with one for sale for a good price, but I can't justify a mixer when a mixer isn't needed]

When vertical it is different:

If only a single L6L cable is used the From Speaker always is Left and the next one Right (as per the manual)

If a L6L loop is created, then the first speaker powered on appears to be Right and the other Left

What I don't appear to be able to get is a Left Floor Monitor and Right Floor Monitor because turning them on their sides puts them into L+R which I haven't worked out how to override.

As I see it I can:

1) Live with it and only expect stereo as backline or when on poles

2) Use an analogue connection (how archaic!)

3) Perform surgery and see if the orientation sensor can be disabled in some way so that they think they are vertical all the time

Any better ideas? 

I wasn't intending to criticise - I grateful for any help.

The one thing that I haven't tried is whether connecting to the HD will allow it - it might behave differently with a master device rather than peer to peer.

After the success and great sound of a L2t with my HD500 I have gone mad and got another on the theory that I might have some fun with stereo - especially when using my Motif XF keyboard as well.

So last night as soon as I got home I was testing the L2t as a stereo pair with a closed loop L6 Link placed on the ground (because my old speakers are on the stands and I haven't had a chance to shift them yet) and it sounded quite good from the iPod, except it was a bit bass heavy due to the floor, so I tried turning them on their sides as floor monitors and lost Stereo. I do appreciate that the Quick Start Guide does explain that when put on their sides that they go L+R (displaying "b"), so the behaviour is not unexpected.

Is there any way to set a specific speaker to be "L", "L+R" or "R" irrespective of mode (such as Floor Monitor) - and even if that is not possible how do you define L and R correctly if you have a closed loop pair because I got it wrong and couldn't see how to change it.

It would be quite cool to have the pair as stereo floor monitors but that appears to be only possible if they are fed an analogue signal independently.

Does it still go L+R is you don't have it as a closed L6 loop and changing the speaker mode to PA/Reference?

I guess I'm asking if you need the closed loop?

I did also try it with just a single link and using the RCA input and the speaker went into L+R (on the display) as soon as it was turned past a certain angle.  

The obvious option I suppose is to simply forget L6 Link and take L and R XLR's or 1/4" to the speakers separately.  I get Global EQ that way which doesn't work on L6 Link, but so far I haven't felt that I needed Global EQ while using L2t as a floor monitor.  Which is funny because I was desperate for Global EQ with the old speakers