Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preorders in Australia

bloodychoir

Hi, still waiting on more raw tones and a decisive illustration of preset lag but the reamping bit has me 70% sold on its own - as long as those fx are as good as it sounds like they are. I know of a couple of exporters but wondering if there's any recommended route for Oz preorders? Or any dealers other folks from the distant, scary, spider, snake and koala infested continent have used in the past that they'd suggest? Many thanks in advance

When is Helix available?

We’re on track to ship Helix by the end of summer. Helix Rack and Helix Control should ship sometime in the fall.

Dealers will know the official release date once they receive shipping confirmation. Anything short of that is pure conjecture on their parts.

To my ears the videos I have checked it undoubtedly is sounding better. more detailed with both the FX and cleaner amp tones. 

That over AU$2k is unlikely as the actual sell price. It might be the RRP but  I predict $1.890 AU street price.

I expect future firmware updates will increase FX  available.

Now the question is how much can I get it imported  from Sweetwater. 

Hey all,

I've heard that Line 6 has only chosen select dealers in Australia for the first run of Line 6 Helix. A distributor in Brisbane is only getting 4 in the first batch. Then who knows how long before the next batch arrives. $2399 was also the price I was told and I was also informed that at this stage, there is no discounted price. They are ready to take deposits though - September is when they are expecting the first arrival. Exciting stuff!

Hey all,

I've heard that Line 6 has only chosen select dealers in Australia for the first run of Line 6 Helix. A distributor in Brisbane is only getting 4 in the first batch. Then who knows how long before the next batch arrives. $2399 was also the price I was told and I was also informed that at this stage, there is no discounted price. They are ready to take deposits though - September is when they are expecting the first arrival. Exciting stuff!

can't get excited by that RRP, that's gross

• 2 months later...

To my ears the videos I have checked it undoubtedly is sounding better. more detailed with both the FX and cleaner amp tones. 

That over AU$2k is unlikely as the actual sell price. It might be the RRP but  I predict $1.890 AU street price.

I expect future firmware updates will increase FX  available.

Now the question is how much can I get it imported  from Sweetwater. 

No deals from Sweetwater off the  price of USD $1499 which is AuD $2100 plus freight plus 10% GST plus currency conversion costs. If you use Paypal they bury an additional 2% charge in BS currency rates so the Au retail of 2.4k inc 10% GST is looking reasonable

can't get excited by that RRP, that's gross

Not when you consider the AuD is in the toilet ... read above!

Damn, that is astronimical

No man it's more than reasonable.... they are competing with Axe FX and Kemper now. Models and FX as good or close to the Axe and FAR better Midi controller with scribble strips .. Kemper has more authentically capture real tube tones with it's patented profiling system but is weak on effects and midi implementation and foot control in comparison.

The only foot controlled that is comparable with the Helix is the RJM and it cost MORE than the Helix and has ZERO sounds and effects!

• Upvote 2

he only foot controlled that is comparable with the Helix is the RJM and it cost MORE than the Helix and has ZERO sounds and effects!

gsc5_front_d.jpg

While the Fractal AX-8 will be here soon 

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=AX8:_amp_modeling_and_multi-fx_pedalboard

AX8.jpg

AX8: Fractal Audio quotes
  • "When I designed the AX-8 I designed a product based on my 25 years playing as a pro and what I used 99% of the time during a gig. Even with the Axe-Fx II 99% of the time I dial up an amp, a cab and a few effects. What I care about most is a great tone. The Axe-Fx amp modeling algorithms are the best in the world. I wanted to design something portable and affordable enough to get those algorithms into the hands of a lot more players." source
  • "They are very cool. They're not an Axe-Fx but they're close. Same amp and cab modeling. Stripped down effects section and smaller grid (4x8 vs 4x12). Two 450 MHz DSPs; one for amp modeling the other for effects/housekeeping. Uses the same silent switch technology as the MFC-101 Mark III and FX-8. Switches are assignable per patch via our new "Switch Assign Matrix" feature." source
  • "It's pretty much "Axe-Fx Lite". There are send/return blocks so you can make series routings that are longer than 8. All the advanced parameters are available in the amp block, you access them via the traditional edit menu. The dedicated Bass, Mid, etc. knobs can be accessed at any time. And it sounds like an Axe-Fx, so there's that." source
  • "The switches are multi-function. They operate as preset, scene, looper or bypass switches. There are four expression pedal inputs. There is a stereo effects loop. The dedicated knobs control only those parameters for which they are indicated. There are five soft knobs under the display that are used for adjusting other parameters." source
  • "The AX-8 has two ADSP-21469s and two microcontrollers. It will only do one amp model at a time. Our amp modeling algorithms use up the entirety of one DSP. The second DSP is running at over 90% utilization. That's how detailed our algorithms are." source
  • "I'll just say a few things: source
    • It is not an Axe-Fx. It won't be able to do two amps or two cabs. It won't have things like the Vocoder and other esoteric blocks. It's a stripped down floor version at an aggressive price.
    • It will have G3 modeling and user IR slots. It has two dual-core DSPs, one for amp modeling the other for effects. These DSPs are slower than the ones in the Axe-Fx so it won't be able to do two instance of amps.
    • There will be block compatibility between the Axe-Fx and the AX-8 meaning you can copy blocks from your Axe-Fx presets into the AX-8.
    • It has USB, XLR outs for FOH, 1/4" outputs for local monitoring and an FX loop. Four expression pedal inputs. AC powered, no wall-wart."
  • "Footswitches are freely assignable. There is a footswitch assign menu." source
  • "There will be no pay-to-play stuff. All amp models from the Axe-Fx II will be included as well as all the Drives, etc." source
  • "It has SPDIF." source
  • "It does not have a headphone output but the outputs should be able to drive phones with ease. You'd just need a Y-cable adapter." source
  • "Both the AX-8 and FX-8 are made in the USA." source
  • "It does not have a headphone output but the outputs should be able to drive phones with ease. You'd just need a Y-cable adapter." source
  • "The AX-8 isn't exactly featherweight either though. It has a heavy steel chassis and aluminum end-caps. It's pretty heavy but very durable." source
  • "The DSPs used in the Axe-Fx are far too costly and require exotic cooling that is not suitable for a floor application. The AX-8 covers the needs of 99% of performing guitar players." source
  • "The Axe-Fx II can run multiple instances of amps, cabs and most effects. The AX-8 cannot. The processors used in the AX-8 are not nearly as powerful as the processors used in the Axe-Fx II. They are also significantly less expensive." source
  • "AX-8 and Axe-Fx II share the same code base so any updates to the Axe-Fx II apply to the AX-8." http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/103735-axe-fx-ii-quantum-rev-1-00-public-beta-13.html#post1241527[ source]

Also the AX8 has not even had an indicative release date nor price announced. Plus the waiting list already sounds like it's going to be huge.

Also I doubt an Australian distributor will have any for a while so you'd have to factor private importation costs in to it.

On topic, I've bought and paid for my Helix with KC's in Boronia. No idea how many they are getting vs how many were pre-ordered though.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've got one on order, end of October. Looking forward to it but still a bit rocked by the price. Even at the US retail of $1499 we're paying AU$300 more than the conversion, and now there are people reporting prices as low as US$1089 after a simple price matching between distributors. That's AU$900 less than what we'll pay here. Global economy... This thing better do my laundry.

On a related note if anyone in Australia or NZ has seen the audiobuy.com.au or .co offers of zero tax, zero import and way lower price on the Helix, I won't slander but do your own research, Whirlpool is your friend.