Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help With My Pod Hd Rig! :d

genaearon

Well, currently I own a POD HD 400 but I'm going to update to a POD HD 500X.

I wanted to know how would you connect some stomp boxes...

I'll be getting an ernie ball volume pedal, a dunlop wah, a tc electronics JP CHORUS pedal and a MXR phase shifter as well as an ibanez screamer.

How would you connect everything? For say having a head with an FX loop, using the distortion from the amp!

a number of different ways to do this... dependent on your needs... but i think you're making things more complicated than they need to be....

if you like your amp get an m9 or an m13 instead of the 500x, if you need the amp models i'd ditch the extra pedals... 

Hi,

I have the POD HD 500 and some stomboxes too.

I use the 4CM and the connections are shown in this thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/1455-my-pedalboard-including-pod-hd-500/

This gives you the best of both worlds. I EQ my amp´s dirt (which I use A LOT) with the POD. The Di Box is inserted to avoid tone sucking from the POD.

Hope it helps. For further info contact me here: fechart@yahoo.es

Cheers!

there are amp models in all the pod HD series that have "pre" in the title...

this is the preamp only without the poweramp modeling...

is that what you mean?

but i have some questions, how can you separate the power amp from the preamp if you are using a head...

why are you using a DI box?...

but i have some questions, how can you separate the power amp from the preamp if you are using a head...

why are you using a DI box?...

Hi there,

The diagram shows the Pre Amp and Power Amp SECTIONS of any amp with FX Loop, it doesn´t mean that they are separated "gear".

In the Pre Amp Section you have the Input of the amp and the FX Send to the Power Amp Section. In the Power Amp Section you have the FX Return from the Pre Amp Section.

The concept is that you connect the POD FX Loop to the Pre Amp Section of the amp. Then the POD output straight to the Power Amp Section, so in the POD you have to choose the COMBO OR STACK POWER AMP OUTPUT MODE, depending if you are connected to a head or a combo.

This way, you can insert the FX LOOP Block in the signal chain (managed by the POD), and what you are inserting is the PRE AMP Section of the amp, that´s to say, your amp clean and dirt channels. Then you can add effects in the POD before or after the loop.

If you are just using the models on the POD, you don´t insert the FX LOOP Block in the signal chain, and you have the POD working directly to the Power Amp Section of the amp.

The DI BOX converts an unbalanced signal to a balanced one. I insert it in the signal chain to avoid tone suck produced by the POD´s FX Loop. That is a slippery topic, well discussed in this Forum. You can read JIMSREYNOLDS 4CM Manual, it´s a very good and instructive document.

All this is quite complex, I´m trying to resume here my experience of a year with this method!

I don´t know if this method is right for you, but you have to try it yourself and decide... It depends on if you gig or not, if you don´t mind spending time connecting all, etc.

But one thing is for sure... with this method you have the best of both worlds: your POD modelling, and your stomboxes / amp's channels.

Hope this helps, if you need more info don´t doubt to contact me.

Cheers!

I was reading this and without opening a new topic i want to ask a question here:

I want to use the hd500 for his modeling capability so i connected it the 4CM through a tube amp (laney cub12r).

In my patches i use the full version of the emulated amp ( the pre version doesn't sound good, the same happen with no cab emulation).

1st question: i set the master level knob at maximum, output mode to line, 1/4 output set to line, switch on the back of the pod line/stomp to line. Is this correct?
Should i use amp instead of line on the 1/4 output jack? should i use as outputmode combo power amp since i'm using a combo power amp only bypassing his preamp section?

I know that i should trust my ears but i don't want to ruin something or overloading the signal etc..

2nd question: I do gigs once a month and of course i want to use the amp (mic-ing it) as a monitor too. If i activate the FXLOOP block on the chain and disabling the amp i can use the preamp of the real amp.
Is this the right way? Because i would like to use the real amp distortion but only for a couple of songs during gigs, should i change some switch positions?

Thank you for the answers...

Hi Buckethead

It´s OK to use the full amp modelling instead op PRE, the CAB sims too. I also do that, although with some models and sometimes I use PREs. Trust your ears... To many people here the PREs sound thin, as for myself.

1st Question:

I don´t agree with your settings, but again, trust your ears, you´re not  going to fry your POD.

I use the COMBO POWER AMP mode just because it sounds better to me, and that mode is intended to be used when you connect your POD straight to the Power Amp Section of your amp. Many people here like the STUDIO/DIRECT Mode in this situation... Try an amp model that you like, raw, with no added EQ or effects and take a good listen to the different Output Modes.

1/4 OUTPUT: I set it to AMP... LINE increases the overall volume a lot, including your amp preamp´s volume. Do you have a big volume jump between your amp´s preamp and the models on the POD? That would be normal, it depends on several factors. In my case I have it, but the DI BOX fixes that. I recommend you to read carefully JIMSREYNOLDS 4CM Manual.

SWITCH ON THE BACK: I use STOMP. Try both

2nd Question:

You´re right. You have to first understand the concept of the 4CM. With this method your amp´s PREAMP is in the LOOP of the POD. And the POD goes stright to the POWER AMP Section of your amp. So when you insert the FX LOOP block in the chain, what you are doing is to enable your amp´s preamp, which otherwise would be muted.

Then you can insert other effects blocks before or after the LOOP. For example: compressors, wah, noise gates, boosters, etc. in front of the LOOP, and modulation, reverbs and delays after (this is not a rule, but it´s the most common way of doing things)

For any further info please contact me or write here. Hope this helps.

Here I paste the diagram of how I connect my POD and several stompboxes using the 4CM.

4CM_zpsed98c13e.jpg

Cheers!