Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Plugging in/Editing tones Pod 2.0 -> Mac

Hey there --

I've been using the POD for a long time for live sound and have had a hard time finding a good, crisp clean tone. A friend suggested I download tones from the website. I bought a MIDI -> USB cable and plugged it in, used monkey, downloaded the software... and now it's not recognizing that the POD is plugged in. Any steps I'm missing? Do I also need to plug in the ethernet cable? Set the pod to midi? Do I need a second cable? This is the cable I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360671860164

I definitely need this explained like I'm 5. Thanks!

Jeff

Sorry to say but those cables around $5-$10 mark are usually crap. There was a great post somewhere which linked to a blog where someone had opened one up and there was actually space for components on the circuit board which was empty! They cheap out on the MIDI spec. I think they assume most people just need note data and quite often that will work, but the SysEx is what suffers and that is what you need.

Line 6 recommend the MIDISport Uno or equivalent quality adapter.

Do not plug a cable into the CAT-5 socket - it is not Ethernet but a Line 6 protocol for using foot controllers. You should be using Line 6 Edit as the software to transfer tones.

Thanks, yeah I use that socket for my foot controller. 

Similarly, for clean tone -- I can't find an amp tone that cuts through level wise, and when I turn up the gain, even on the "clean" sounds, they come out dirty. I'm starting to wonder if my issue is that all my channel volumes are too low, but if anyone else has this issue and has advice, would love to hear it. I've been thinking about getting standalone pedals and switching over but I feel like my POD SHOULD be able to handle something like this. 

Alternately, another question I've had forever (I've literally just found this board) is -- is there a way using the foot pedal to bypass the pod entirely?

• 3 years later...

I have Notion and a POD 2.0 and a guitar or two.  
I've had the POD for years, but it was in the closet, never used. 
The the need came up to get some guitar into Notion via MIDI, or into MuseScore. .
I considered making a huge investment in something like a Fishman Triple Play set up.
Way more than I needed. Then I realized, "Hey, that POD 2.0 had a MIDI thingy in it!"
So, if I buy the M-Audio MIDISport Uno, can I get guitar note data through the POD 2.0 into the MuseScore and/or Notion?

Also, will the MIDISport Uno allow me to update the POD 2.0 with new tones from my computer?