Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vetta firmware update through FBV shortboard mkii

Stormtrooper12

I've read about all the firmware update nightmares for the Vetta II and people bricking their amps by having some sort of interruptions or not using an M-Audio midisport uno etc etc....

Why didn't Line 6 also offer a way for people to update through their new "top of the line" floor controller (FBV Shortboard mkii).

I realize not everyone has one and some would still have the original longboard or shortboard but it seems like a novel idea and might have increased sales for the newer incarnation, and at the same time also removed incompatibility issues for firmware updates and added better/easier capability for using computer based editors and backing up patches et al.

Just my .02

PS: I'm also guessing that Vetta production had ceased before the FBV Shortboard mkii was even released but it still seems like an easy integration to make for a Line 6 tech guru.

True.

but support had long ended for the vetta before the MKII boards were released... (support is different than simply ceasing production)

the board made for the vetta (the longboard) had extra vetta buttons and no usb...

even if it was easy though... you don't revisit something you've ended support on... it resets the timer and you end up supporting your changes for a length of time... endless cycle.... unfortunately.

PS: I'm also guessing that Vetta production had ceased before the FBV Shortboard mkii was even released but it still seems like an easy integration to make for a Line 6 tech guru.

• Upvote 1

Gotta say that i'm not happy, if the evolution of musical instruments (yes, amps are very much of that) is going to follow the ways of computer industry. It just may be my age thou. I'm writing this with computer havin a XP in it. I don't like to throw away things that work.

I've grown in world, where guitars and amps are built to last. If we move to "buy new stuff every 2 years or your gear stops working", guess it's back to the tubes and hard wire again. After all, they're built to last.

I'm not saying that people in line6 should keep developing Vetta all the time. However taking away the tools to keep it working is way too Microsoft for me. I hope that Line 6 remembers again, which industry they are in. Musicians don't have use for tools that have shorter lifespan than politician's promises.

And to keep this under our starting post; it actually doesn't hurt, if support for older tools is added in newer ones. It's not about the need really. We can't know how many would use the possibility to update Vetta via FBV shortboard mkII. But with that Line 6 could show the customers, that it cares.

• Upvote 1

While I agree that Line6 should do more to support the Vetta and it's users, adding USB to an amp that never had it would be over the top so I can not agree with that. That would be more along the lines of reengineering and development, not support. Especially difficult when you consider that the Coldfire processor which was the main processor chip used in the Vetta is now obsolete as are both DSP chips. The rest of the popcorn parts are still out there and avaliable, fortunately for us, those are the parts that typically fail.    

• Like 1

While I agree that Line6 should do more to support the Vetta and it's users, adding USB to an amp that never had it would be over the top so I can not agree with that. That would be more along the lines of reengineering and development, not support. Especially difficult when you consider that the Coldfire processor which was the main processor chip used in the Vetta is now obsolete as are both DSP chips. The rest of the popcorn parts are still out there and avaliable, fortunately for us, those are the parts that typically fail.    

The USB port is on the back of the FBV Shortboard mkii ;-)

Only the ethernet cable goes to the amp.

Same with my SpiderValve HD 100 mkii. That's how I updated my SV and also ran the patch editor with my PC. USB printer type cable from PC to shortboard, ethernet cable from shortboard to amp.

Great if you want to do something to the short board but it sure doesn't do much for the Vetta without software and the hardware inside the short board that would allow for USB to Ethernet to the amp. Don't know whats inside the short board as far as processors and such. I'd be happy if they'd just support the Vetta as it was and as they should. If they did it before they can do it now so it really boils down to a matter of attitude and choice.   

The USB port is on the back of the FBV Shortboard mkii ;-)

Only the ethernet cable goes to the amp.

Same with my SpiderValve HD 100 mkii. That's how I updated my SV and also ran the patch editor with my PC. USB printer type cable from PC to shortboard, ethernet cable from shortboard to amp.