Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

fire hawk went wrong during a gig!

jonhollis

so I'm doing a gig outdoors - at sunset. two things. one couldn't read the display in the sunlight. its not bright enough.

secondly and the big one - all of a sudden the expression started putting out all this up and down data. so any preset with an expression pedal in the values started going up and down all on their own. 

had to stop the gig and ditch it and put my old pedal board back in.... still broken now.

I can't imagine that stage lighting is going to be bright enough to mess with it. It could be possible, I suppose, if there was an extremely bright light right above you, but it would have to be really bright. Sunlight is orders of magnitude higher in intensity than even the brightest indoor lighting. This is the same sort of sensor that pretty much all of Line 6's floor processors have had in the expression pedal.

I can't imagine that stage lighting is going to be bright enough to mess with it. It could be possible, I suppose, if there was an extremely bright light right above you, but it would have to be really bright. Sunlight is orders of magnitude higher in intensity than even the brightest indoor lighting. This is the same sort of sensor that pretty much all of Line 6's floor processors have had in the expression pedal.

I'm not surprised that this happened...sunlight, even indirect, can mess with all kinds of sensors. My living room faces west and gets a lot of afternoon sun. If the shades are up and the sun hits either the cable box or the surround sound receiver, you can forget about trying to use the remote...nothing registers.

i never had this problem with the HD500X though

Yeah, I've actually haven't seen the Firehawk in person yet, so I don't know how alike the pedal is to the 500X, but it could be that the 500X sensor is more shrouded than the Firehawk. I actually have read posts here, though, of people having similar issues with the 500 and 500X in direct sun. Actually, I've read about the same thing with the X3L and XTL as well. It's just a limitation with an optical pedal. Line 6 could have gone with a potentiometer based design, I guess, but those have limitations and potential issues as well.

I think I recall someone having issues with a TC G-System in direct sunlight where the bright sun would affect a sensor under the foot pedal causing problems.

The dude made a little awning type canopy for the front out of plywood or cardboard and painted it black iirc :blink:

• 8 months later...

Is there a way to increase or darken the display and LED's during daytime gigs ?  Is the brightness default already set to 100% from the factory ?  We played a gig outside , under cover, NOT in direct sunlight, and I couldn't see anything at all on my Firehawk. Nothing. Couldn't even tune.

We played a gig outside , under cover, NOT in direct sunlight, and I couldn't see anything at all on my Firehawk. Nothing. Couldn't even tune.

I used my phone as my "display", just to check I did change to the right tone and assist in tuning.  We ended up moving out amps out front to be a sun block/monitor and relied on the PA system for the sound.