Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What was the motive to start guitar?

arislaf

For me, I think it was an influence from my parents when I was around eight years old. Something along the lines of pick an instrument, it will do you good. So I chose an acoustic guitar. But I can't be sure because I don't seem able to remember that far back. As I got to 10 or 11, now I switched to electric and it seemed to grow more on me because it was cool at the time and I really liked it. Metal type stuff. I remember playing Paranoid and Iron Man in the sixth grade gymnasium with my first band. Took lessons at a small local music store for many years. I especially liked playing the guitar while stoned and outside in the backyard through a cranked Peavey 2x12 amp and bugging the crap out of the neighbors.

So I guess it was an evolution of hanging out with the wrong crowd of people, the type of music, and starting at an early age that attracted me - and never let go - to the guitar.

• Upvote 1

I actually started music on Trumpet. My brother wanted to take up guitar and my band teacher was the one giving the private lessons. He offer my parents to tech both of us at the same time for the cost of just one student.  I guess he saw something in me with music from band class. I was top of the class on Trumpet. My brother still plays guitar as well, althought he play more for personal enjoyment than playing out.

when I grew up there was a thriving band circuit at all the high schools.  Bands like Moxy, April Wine, Foot in Cold Water and yes, Rush! all played Friday night gigs at my high school.  So many great bands with amazing talent levels...  That was the icing on the cake for me even though the bug was already there ever since Alvin Lee played Going Home at Woodstock...

• Upvote 1

When I was 4 or 5 my dad would play his guitar while I sang Cilla Black songs....rock n roll eh? When I was a little older my dad showed me a few chords but I didn't really get into it until I heard The Jam in the late 70's. They were so cool I said to myself "I wanna do that!". I had about six months of lessons which was enough to play most Jam songs (great songs but not that complicated). Once I could play The Jam I thought I was the Dogs B#llocks so stopped my lessons and taught the rest to myself.....that's why I have SO MUCH bad technique!

Just noticed your Tag... Is that legit? Never really thought about why the name "Line 6"?

I guess it is, I found it here on the forums from one of the experts (can't recall who) :) Nice back story ain't it?

• Upvote 1

Just noticed your Tag... Is that legit? Never really thought about why the name "Line 6"?

I guess it is, I found it here on the forums from one of the experts (can't recall who) :) Nice back story ain't it?

Yep, it's legit.  I heard the founder tell the same story in an interview as well.

• Upvote 1

Sex and money is always a good motivator. it is definitely why I continue to do what I do. 

But for me, it wasn't why I started. It was actually a genetic thing. Music, not necessarily any one particular instrument. I come from a long line of musicians. Yeah, I am not the only one in my bloodline that can be Google'd, lol.   

As a business, I got lucky in the sense that I was who I was when I was where I was. But my DNA is why I started in the first place. 

The sex and money is just motivating to stick with it. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

I used to fade into my music, turn off the lights, get it as dark as possible, crank my music and float...

It took away negative thoughts and issues....

When I started playing guitar I found out that everything that bothers me disappears....

I used to play so much I would fall asleep with my guitar in my lap...

I have a family and kids now, so I cherish each moment I can play, because each time I pick it up, I'm in the zone and everything goes away and I can calm down and deal with issues.

Guitar = Zanex

• 4 months later...

Two words for me:  "James Burton" (Elvis Presley's guitarist in the 1970s and teen idol Ricky Nelson's guitarists from 1958-1966).

However, being that I'm mildly disabled (Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus), I found that music eases any physical pain I may have so.....when I'm playing guitar (acoustic but I mostly play electric), any physical pain I'm dealing with seems to ease really quickly.  

As far as playing guitar to get girls?  That wasn't my motivation, shockingly.  If the "girl" thing is gonna happen (as far as having a relationship), it'll happen when it's supposed to happen.  As yet, though, the right one hasn't come along yet.

Was it music? A song? A guitarist? Parents? Something common? Something unique?

My mother made me do it...sort of.

Summer 1984...I wanted Twisted Sister's "Stay Hungry" album. Dear old Mom took one look at the album cover and refused, lol. I was 11. 4 years, a foot of hair, and countless pairs of ripped jeans later, I joined my first band...still at it.

Thanks Mom! ;)

my mom was a cellist and my father turned down a bassist gig for Ace Frehley's Comets. my grandparents and their grandparents were musicians. seems only right that I was born with a guitar in my hands.

guitar was my pacifier

I had always wanted an electric guitar. The pics of the guys jamming (used to get Hit Parader and Circus) looked like wizards and I was mesmerized at how "THAT" made what I was hearing. It took some long hours on that paper route too to save up but man when I got that case home the world changed.

You know people talk of that new car smell but I still prefer that guitar/case smell of a new find.

You know people talk of that new car smell but I still prefer that guitar/case smell...

There's definitely an "old guitar" smell...not a bad thing, just like when a case hasn't been opened in a while. My mom has been playing classical guitar since 7 or 8 yrs old, still at it at 70+. Nylon strings aren't my thing, but she has a beautiful old Kohno with an ultra-plush interior hardshell case...I remember sitting and listening to her play as a little kid, and the smell of that case. Don't know if it was the polish she used or what, but very distinctive. Hadn't thought about that in a long time...funny what sticks with you from being a kid.