Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 Patches Import To Hd500x

mralmostpopular

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this a separate post so that it's easier to find for anyone who might be having some issues.

The patches for the HD500 do not import directly into the HD500X Edit software at this time. They use different file formats. There is a work-around that I posted earlier, and is being passed around now.

All you have to do is change the extension on the patch files:

For individual patches, change the extension from .h5e to .5xe

For bundles, change the file extension from .h5b to .5xb

For setlists, change the file extension from .h5s to .5xs

I have found no inconsistencies among the patches from the HD500 Edit to the HD500X Edit using this method. I don't know if/when Line 6 will update the software to allow backwards compatibility, but in the mean time, you can use this method to get your 500 patches to your 500X.

UPDATE:

Someone else mentioned that you can drag-and-drop individual HD500 files into the tone slots in the 500X Edit software. I can confirm that this works. You will still need to change the file names for set-lists and bundles, though.

• Upvote 2

thanx a lot.

today I played the first gig with the hd500x, no problems at all.

just imported the bundle the way you described it.

sounded the same as the hd500 the day before.

the new switches/leds are so much better, loved them  :)

• Upvote 1

I am thinking the extension difference will allow for keeping your old 500 bundles without the fear of over writing them during a save, this was a concern I had. Also, I don't want to have to re-create my patches in a new rig, as I have (at least) 2 1/2 user banks full of my own stuff that I have developed and use all of the time.

How does the HDX compare to the HD processor wise. It claims more power, what say you? This one thing will move me to purchase.

Am certainly considering the 500X and will keep my 500.

Would a test drive in a store really show me anything? I not sure I would know if it sounds or acts different until I use it on the gig. I guess it would if I prep in advance and knew what patch I wanted to set up/create. Maybe a patch that currently overloads my HD500.

Come to think of it, I never tested any of the Line6 rigs I've owned. I bought an XT way back based on hearing one in a live application.  All others X3Live, HD500, were based on my satisfaction of the previous unit. IMHO, the XTLive had the best sounding effects, and the easiest to dial in, especially tempo driven stuff, just sayin'. 

Instead of dancing around the question, I will just ask, is the 500X a step sideways?

If it HAS more processesor power, that might be enough for me to pull the trigger.

Would a test drive in a store really show me anything? I not sure I would know if it sounds or acts different until I use it on the gig. I guess it would if I prep in advance and knew what patch I wanted to set up/create. Maybe a patch that currently overloads my HD500.

Come to think of it, I never tested any of the Line6 rigs I've owned. I bought an XT way back based on hearing one in a live application.  All others X3Live, HD500, were based on my satisfaction of the previous unit. IMHO, the XTLive had the best sounding effects, and the easiest to dial in, especially tempo driven stuff, just sayin'. 

Instead of dancing around the question, I will just ask, is the 500X a step sideways?

If it HAS more processesor power, that might be enough for me to pull the trigger.

It does have more processor power, but not significantly more. I'd say it's a step to the side and slightly to the front. You can get a couple more effects in before hitting that limit. That's why I said to test it in the store. If you're someone who wants to get crazy with effects, the 500X will probably disappoint you in that regard, but if you were always wishing you could get 1 or 2 more essential effects in, then this will solve that for you.

• Downvote 1

Will my Pod XT Live patches import to the HD500X, if so will  they sound the same?

I would HATE to have to recreate all of my tones in order to start gigging live with the new pedal.

If they import, how do I do it?... just rename extensions?

Thanks,

John

• 1 month later...

Just as an update on a Friday afternoon. This week and especially last night at rehearsal, I was reminded again that the HD 500 is the maybe the most pivotal piece of gear that I have. As I was selecting/switching a guitar for Sunday, I realized, I can change out a guitar, but if my HD was out of commision, well, let's just say, it would be troublesome. So, that being said, I am ordering the HD500X tonight. My plan is to NOT copy my settings over, but to start fresh at ground zero. Sort of re-create them and see if I can give my  tone(s) a new life. I am in a posistion right now that I can work it in to rotation slowly, so I won't be using it right away.

Anyway, have a nice weekend all....

Strato

• 2 months later...

Just as an update on a Friday afternoon. This week and especially last night at rehearsal, I was reminded again that the HD 500 is the maybe the most pivotal piece of gear that I have. As I was selecting/switching a guitar for Sunday, I realized, I can change out a guitar, but if my HD was out of commision, well, let's just say, it would be troublesome. So, that being said, I am ordering the HD500X tonight. My plan is to NOT copy my settings over, but to start fresh at ground zero. Sort of re-create them and see if I can give my tone(s) a new life. I am in a posistion right now that I can work it in to rotation slowly, so I won't be using it right away.

Anyway, have a nice weekend all....

Strato

Hello all!

We received the new hd500x here at the Shania Twain show in Las Vegas. Once I downloaded the 500x editor, re-named Cory Churko's set list extension, loaded the setlist into the 500x, and installed the 500x on his pedalboard, we ran sound check and a full show last night and all worked great!! Seamless!! Thank you Line 6 for the work around!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

there is a 3rd party utility that can do this: http://www.jzab.de/content/pod-hd

unsupported by Line6 but it works.

Can patches from the HD 300 be imported into the HD500X ? I just purchased one and am having no luck at all.

I got voted negative for this! :D

granted the conversion isn't going to be 1:1 when you go from 300/400 to 500/500x/pro/prox

but i was just providing a starting point...

for the most part my REAL advice is, if you want a 500 get a 500... 

but the utility referenced here is a nice option if that's just something you don't want to pursue at the moment.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Will my Pod XT Live patches import to the HD500X, if so will  they sound the same?

I would HATE to have to recreate all of my tones in order to start gigging live with the new pedal.

Thanks,

John

Thanks,

John

No, there's no way to import your XTL patches to the 500X. They are two completely different modeling platforms.

• 2 years later...

Hey guys, 

This info is helpful as I'm in the process of switching from HD500 to HD500X.

BUT! I can't seem to install HD500X Edit on my Mac. I have a relatively new Macbook Pro with OS X El Captain 10.11.6 on it. All the versions I've tried to install say I need to have 10.5 on my comp which I can't update to. It seems crazy that I'd need this OS to run such a simple program. 

If anyone has a link to a DL for an older version of HD500X Edit that would be very helpful or any solution to my problem. Looking to transfer this tones soon.

If anyone has a link to a DL for an older version of HD500X Edit that would be very helpful or any solution to my problem. Looking to transfer this tones soon.

The L6 download page (not monkey) has all versions available. 

But, I want to correct/amend some of the information above based on another post I just responded to. 

You only need to rename the file extensions if you are using the drop down menu at the top. If you are doing the drag-and-drop method, 500 files will go right into the 500x. 

*when taking them out of the 500x, the files will be 500x formats - essentially creating duplicate files for you.

I had this problem, all I did was put the HD500 edit program up next to the HD500x edit program, opened the set list section on both programs and just dragged and dropped from the 500 to the 500x. It worked a dream.

It did help that I have two monitors connected up to my computer.

Just updated from POD HD500 to POD HD500X, and discovered a problem with the wah.

I copied the .h5s files across to a new folder, and edited the file extensions to be .5xs.

Downloaded the setlist to the 500X and all appeared to load up okay.

Got to the gig and all sounded fine, until I stepped on the wah.

Seemed that the wah was turning on with the toe switch as expected, but the expression pedal didn't move the sweep of the wah from min to max as it normally would.

I can correct this, obviously, but just wondered if that was a known thing, if others had experienced it, and if there are any other nasty little surprises to look out for?

Thanks!