Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d - Pad inputs?

Just did a gig with a new guitarist who was using a hughes and kettner tubemeister (18 I believe).  The level from the XLR output was too much for the M20d and using autotrim resulted in a 'signal over' error or something of that language.  

His clean sound was just fine (amp speaker) and I ended up not using autotrim but just turning the input gain down as far as possible.

Being new(ish) to this board, I didn't see a Pad feature.  Does this exist and where do I find it?

TIA

http://line6.com/support/topic/9734-input-too-hot/?p=66834

I gave the following answer the last time this question popped up...

Manual for your H&K Redbox DI out states:

"Use a microphone cord to patch this signal to a mixing console. Make sure the mixing console’s XLR input is set to line level. If the mixing console lacks XLR inputs or if these cannot be set to line level, you will need an XLR-to-6.3 mm-(1/4")-jack adapter readily available in music stores. The channels’ MASTER settings directly affect the signal level, but the selected POWER SOAK mode does not."

So, even though it is feeding a DI output, that DI output is at LINE LEVEL.

When you plug into the M20d with an XLRM it sets the input up as MIC level input. Line level is a lot hotter and typically doesn't need to pass through a mic pre-amp.

Change the cable to an XLRF to 1/4" TRS balanced jack and input on any of channels 13-16 for a line level input. You can also plug in to 1-12 but make sure you select a LINE level preset.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to add to this thread the output direct from a H&K is "too hot" for either input the MIC XLR (1-12) or LINE (12-16).  Just had a test session with our lead guitarist and couldn't really make much sense of it other than have the trim at the lowest value which is +6dB.

Output from the PA didn't sound too bad even though you could see that there was a fair amount of clipping going on. Probably needs some kind of attenuator in the loop before connection to the desk.

Which leads me to a question, if you use the LINE in then the dynamic digital processing line is just "basic" i.e comp and EQ.  How do you select something like the uber setting?  Which has things like gate and limiter using the limiter may help with this.

Yep... XLRF to 1/4" TRS in to inputs 1-12 gives you LINE level, but with all processing chains.

The extra FX chains are not attached to channels 13-16 as these are intended for only line level inputs.

The standalone H&K redbox DI unit has a pad switch mounted on it which will knock (IIRC) 15dB off the level. For some reason, they didn't include this nifty little feature in the redbox they put in the back of the amp.

I suppose, there is a degree of confusion here about DI outputs. Some manufacturers fit DI outs to their amps and feed them with LINE level signal - which means it is a pre-gain line out, rather than a DI out. Others feed MIC level signals out through their DI. Of all the gear I've hooked up to my rig, bass amp outputs have tended to be mic level, but guitar amps have most commonly been line level.

BUT, and I suspect I am not alone in this, I rarely DI a guitar amp, though I'd almost always DI a bass. I always prefer to mic the cab as it typically makes life easier when trying to recreate the sound of the stack/cab the guitarist has probably spent ages trying to perfect. Minimal work on the desk, so long as I use a decent mic; I'm currently preferring the Audix D4 for close micing guitar cabs.

I always prefer to mic the cab as it typically makes life easier when trying to recreate the sound of the stack/cab the guitarist has probably spent ages trying to perfect. Minimal work on the desk, so long as I use a decent mic; I'm currently preferring the Audix D4 for close micing guitar cabs.

IDD, micing a cab is the best way,

I have spend alot of time to get a good guitar sound when the amp pluged into the M20D.

One of the big points is to cut everything above 5 kHz !!! The Celestion speakers in a cab only goos to 5 kHz.

Kr,

Emiel