Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

UX2 - OSX 10.11 El Capitan - No sound

Hmm I can get GearBox to launch & then it complains about an incompatible driver & the weird thing is it will read all the patches from Pod X3 Pro anyway

Then when you double click a patch it will blank out the patch name..... now i have a set of blank named patches..

& you cant actually edit any patch.

This is on El Cap 10.11.1 with the latest drivers from Line 6

Just Updated to EL Capitan v10.11.1  and my sound magically all fixed now.  

Using the same Line-6 driver ( v7.3.8) I already had installed previously - on MacBook Pro / TonePort UX-2 in Logic 9 and also Gearbox.

Back in business...  appears it was an Apple issue.

Neil,

when you launch Gearbox do you get any incompatible driver messages ?

& when trying to load a patch are you able to edit the patch without the name getting blanked out ?

I'm on an iMac mid 2010 with El Cap 10.11.1 Pod X3 Pro connected via usb...... same driver version as yours

Neil,

when you launch Gearbox do you get any incompatible driver messages ?

& when trying to load a patch are you able to edit the patch without the name getting blanked out ?

I'm on an iMac mid 2010 with El Cap 10.11.1 Pod X3 Pro connected via usb...... same driver version as yours

MadMax,

no incompatible driver messages here, and my Gearbox patches can be edited/saved as per normal (as prior to upgrade).  

I am running Gearbox v3.72.0 (which I believe was the final release) with the Line-6 driver ( v7.3.8).   Seems the difference is that you have the POD X3 Pro, I have the UX2.  

I did notice that under Gearbox / View / Hardware Info      it states :      

USB Connected: YES

Driver:  Not Installed           <----- seems odd ?  but its thankfully working anyway

ESN: 01523716

USB Firmware: v1.01

Maybe slightly off-topic - I still have an issue that Gearbox (v 3.72.0) will not save its preferences and always launches with the default "American Punk" patch. Just an annoyance rather than functional issue, but I had this on Mavericks, so it is not related to upgrading to El Capitan.  I have checked the app preferences and I definitely have Read & Write. 

I can't install Pod Farm 2 on my Mac.

Installer stops and says "This software requires Mac OS X 10.5 or above".

But my Mac is with OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan. What should I do?

Got the exact same problem! Trying to even reinstall POD Farm 1.03 and its saying "POD Farm can't be installed on this disk." even though I've had it on this mac before...

I can't install Pod Farm 2 on my Mac.

Installer stops and says "This software requires Mac OS X 10.5 or above".

But my Mac is with OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan. What should I do?

Got the exact same problem! Trying to even reinstall POD Farm 1.03 and its saying "POD Farm can't be installed on this disk." even though I've had it on this mac before...

Are you guys using the current versions of PF 1/ 2 from the site?

The discs are virtually useless at this pint, lest they be used as a coaster, flying disc, and/or installation art.

Are you guys using the current versions of PF 1/ 2 from the site?

The discs are virtually useless at this pint, lest they be used as a coaster, flying disc, and/or installation art.

I'm not,I ain't willing to pay for it again as i have it on disk haha..The 2.5 i was trying isn't from the disk though.

I'm not,I ain't willing to pay for it again as i have it on disk haha..The 2.5 i was trying isn't from the disk though.

You can download and authorize POD Farm v1.12 for free, the PF 1 license is tied to your device.

If you download and run the the newest version of Monkey, it will get you all the relevant updates.

(I'm assuming you have the older red-faced tone port, if you have a black-faced Pod Studio, you may be able to use PF 2 with no additional charge, depending on when it was first registered)

You can download and authorize POD Farm v1.12 for free, the PF 1 license is tied to your device.

If you download and run the the newest version of Monkey, it will get you all the relevant updates.

(I'm assuming you have the older red-faced tone port, if you have a black-faced Pod Studio, you may be able to use PF 2 with no additional charge, depending on when it was first registered)

Ive got the black faced one,it's still saying the same thing so gonna try POD Farm 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

I just wanted to inform you that we have released a new version 7.5.7 of the Line 6 Audio/MIDI driver for Mac today. If you've been having issues, please uninstall the old driver and try the new one. This release targets the El Capitan updates 10.11.1 and it works even better on 10.11.2 thanks to some improvements on the OS side of things.

We've been doing a TON of testing on this and wanted to be absolutely sure that we can show up here and release something we feel confident in, and now that time is finally here.

–Cheers!

I have updated to the latest El Capitan 1.11.1.   I have reinstalled the new Line6 drivers 7.5.7.   When I start Pod Farm now I can see that the input from my guitar is now getting recognized correctly.   However I get NO sound output via the headphone jack on my Guitarport.   None.  Nada.   

When I go into the Audio Devices/MIDI Setup/Configure speakers and test the speakers I DO hear sounds via the Guitarport headphone jack.

When I go into Garageband, I can see Input getting recognized.   However I STILL hear no sound output.

There still seems to be something wrong here.

• Upvote 1

BFrenzel, I have installed the latest update from the 23rd of November, but I only get the two guitar ports working on mu UX2. I can't get the two mic jacks working. I can get no mic response. instead I get a loud mechanical hiss noise. Is it possible the Mac update to El Capitan fried my mic channels on the UX2 as there was a lot of loud popping when I went to initially use it after the update to El Capitan? Any help would be appreciated. Chris

Hello BFenzel,

since updating to the latst driver 7.5.7 I have a sizzling noise on all inputs. Sometimes it is working fine on a computer session, but 90% the problem shows up. So now I have ro reboot several times to get a working device on an Imac 5K. This is definitely again a driver software problem. I am using 10.11.2.

Anything I can check or try?

Best regards

I am on early 2009 Mac Pro

Everything worked till the recent upgrade of my OS.

My UX2 works only as a sound card to listen to music.  The inputs from Podfarm Mixer disappeared 

I am up to date with all drivers etc...

Happy to help if there is a new update to test....

Hi guys,

I will suggest that you file a ticket with customer service and they can walk you through any steps you need to take to get your interface working.

In our testing, sometimes it required unplugging the device and reconnecting it. We also recommend that you unplug the Line 6 device, completely uninstall the driver, and re-install the driver, being sure to wait to plug it back in until after your mac has rebooted at the end of the install process.

If your inputs have disappeared, check the Line 6 Audio Midi Devices preference pane to see the input selection has reverted to default.

There is also a new build of the Mac OS X 10.11.2 update public beta 5 which claims USB was an area of focus. I'm currently using it with a UX2 and have no issues. Give that a shot.

BFRenzel, Appreciate your suggestion but all told looks like the update to El Capitan really messed up my stuff. I have no one to blame but myself as I should of waited to check compatibility bugs were all worked out. I blame Apple if anything for releasing a product that had core audio driver bugs that shouldn't have been released without working out those bugs. Alas, they are not the company they used to be. I was really wanting to check out the Garageband drums so I took a chance that backfired. 

With this release I actually had a Focusrite i86 hooked up as my main preamp. I had some huge pops upon initial install of the new El Capitan and that preamp died on the spot and will now only flash red and green lights at a rapid rate. It produces no sound. I have been going back and forth with them for the last month and now they say I have to send it in for repair and pay full cost as it is out of warranty. Understandable. 

I made the 2nd mistake of hooking up my former preamp, my UX2 and once again huge pops and then no mic signal. The weirdest part is that the outputs work fine, as do the guitar line inputs, but the mic line inputs will not work at all. I just get the loud hiss.

I have tried multiple updates, installs and reboots. No luck. Here's the really odd part. I have a KB37 keyboard that does the exact same thing.

Everything working but the mic input. I just get hiss. I can record guitar through the line inputs and I can listen back to sound through it. With this in mind, I think that the problem still may be the Line 6 update as I have the exact same problem on two devices. I have verified all Monkey updates and compatibility along with trashing and reinstalling the drivers multiple times on both devices with reboots each time. Its possible the problem is still related to the Apple Core Audio drivers. Maybe they haven't properly updated their drivers after the bad rollout. Maybe they just think they did and everyone else is playing catchup to a bad initial driver and update. I don't know. I just know I don't want to go through another long ordeal with an open ticket like I did with Focusrite only to end up having to pay anyway. Not that its their fault. I believe Apple is to blame. hey screwed everyone by rolling out those bad Core Audio Drivers. I'm sure they will never acknowledge it as I guarantee you there are plenty of guys out there like me who lost a decent preamp due to updating to their junk too early. Cheers for your help, Chris

It would be good to know if updating to 10.11.2 has helped anyone resolve their issues. It was released a few days ago.

Well, my UX1 has no sound output of my phonesport UX1 now that I've installed OS X El Capitan10.11.2 (15C50).

The Level meters are working but there is no sound output... I've uninstalled the driver & installed the latest version.

• Upvote 1

UX2 , all updates installed on my mac (with monkey), I've got OSX El Capitan 10.11.2

The sound is sliced while playing music or watching videos.

It is a shame that you can't do proper drivers that work with mac users with el capitan (it was out a long time ago from now).

DO SOMETHING PLEASE ! My Line 6 UX2 is useless on mac because of your lollipop drivers ... WTF !!!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Noooo!

I've been using the old (red-faced) Toneport UX2 and Gearbox for years on a Windows machine. Still works to this day. 

I just bought a brand new high-end MacBook Pro with El Capitan. 

Firstly, Gearbox won't install. I had to go into sub-folders and install the parts separately. It works but is a mess. 

Secondly, whether I run Gearbox or the POD Farm demo, I get horrendous hiss / crackle out of the device. Sometimes (for some reason) it's ok, but it's hit and miss, so not reliable / repeatable. 

Furthermore! If I try the "hum reducer" feature my MacBook Pro completely restarts due to some error. Every time! 

Something is seriously wrong. I hate to say but I might have to ditch Line 6 and look for an alternative that works, even if it costs me money. Have to say the Support hasn't been great. I'm sure I've had an open ticket for about 5 years...!

I've been reading several forums and it seems 10.11 is really messing up audio production in general. Apogee, Line 6 (especially!), Native Instruments, you name it. I've read reports of audio dropouts, crackling, audio pops - basically just unworkable. I thought it was something to do  with my interface but it seems no matter what I buy as a USB audio interface, there is a very high chance of it not working due to the OS. 

--> I bought a Mac because I wanted LESS hassle and to PLAY more! But it turns out I was better off on my Windows machine. 

Very disappointing. I'm seriously considering handing this back and buying a Windows machine with my £2000. What am I supposed to do? Wait in hope that this is all going to work out? I can't use the machine for the purpose I bought it for. A real shame as otherwise I like it - VERY unhappy with this. I'm going to look at alternative Windows machines now. Unless this is solved rapidly, Apple just lost themselves a customer for life, and £2000 is leaving their account. I only just switched to Apple as everybody was saying how I had to get one because they're so great for AV work but I've never seen any issue like this on my old Windows machine. I've never spent so much time faffing around trying to find out what the issue is. I was looking at upgrading to an expensive Apogee unit and that would have been a massive waste of money. 

SO gutted as I like the machine otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony, I have resolved my issue. The new Apple update had affected the preferences page and the Line 6 Audio-Midi Devices down by my Java and Flash Player settings. Under "input & recording" the input source had been switched to instrument instead of mic 1 and 2. When I turn off my computer they also seemed to reset back to instrument. Looks like a small bug in the new Mac El Capitan update that may have affected these settings.  Now I am changing them back each time before I record. Same applies to my KB37 keyboard. Now I am operational again though. It was something more simple than I realized and frankly I had never adjusted those settings before so I didn't think to look there for additional line 6 recording settings. Cheers, Chris