Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How many times can you accidentally ruin your Pod in one year?

AlexKenivel

I'm going for a world record here (kidding)

But I'm on my third HD500x now since April. They keep shorting out. First it was because of a USB port breaking and this morning, while plugging in a XLR cable into my pod, I shorted out the second pod and my computer at the same time.

The XLR cable was plugged into a power amp (turned off) and my pod was on, and plugged into my computer via USB. As soon as I touched the cable to the device, it shut down both pod and computer.

I've already replaced the pod, but my recording computer is toast. It's a sad, sad day.

Man, Police had an album :"Ghost in the machine"

My mechanic knows the phenomenon; machinery breaks down for some people like they are jinxing it somehow.

Their car is always in the shop getting fixed and the person wants to sell it, the mechanic tells another client and

he buys it and never has a problem with it. LOL 

It is true some people effect machinery and computers are more prone to their ghost.LOL

I agree with Charlie_Watt here. 

Before I bought my POD HD Pro I had my POD XT mounted in my rack together with my power amp and a mixer. By some reason I had a envying hum so I one day disconnected everything and first tested a minimum configuration and then started connect everything together part by part. The last thing I added was the USB to the back of the XT... I was sitting on the floor and could see the spark when the ground hit the connector. No more USB... I was lucky the rest is intact and works, still us it sometimes.

Conclusion, I had a ground loop. First mistake was not to connect all parts to the same grounded extension cable. The second "mistake" was not to connect the extension to a grounded outlet, as I did not have one in the room. I made a ground by connecting a wire from the radiator (has to be in metal all the way to the heating system) to the extension cable. Lazy me did not power down the units while making the changes, that might have saved me, that time...

In Sweden we can turn the power plug any direction (ea US and England can't). This had the effect that my PC was probability had the the "live" wire opposite my rack and no ground... A huge potential difference => No more USB.

I still had some hum, not in the same way though. I found the second source to the problem - a transformer to a halogen light that I disconnected a few days later, by “misstateâ€. As the transformer was always on even when light was off I did not made that connection... All hum gone.

So back to you... Grounding, neutral and live wire can be a serious problem here. There was a good post here on the forum (could not find it now, come back if I do) about this. Could be worth search for. Don't know if above helps or give you any idea, hope it does, but just feel bad about what happened to you. 

Take care //Per

• Upvote 2

Yes, I'm very sure now that at there is a wiring issue in my house. I've had two electrical-savvy people look at another part of my house and actually called an electrician friend of mine about it.

They all say that there is a lot of wiring that doesn't make sense so I'm almost not surprised. Apparently the last guy to own the house was a bad contractor and did a lot of weird things to the place.

The Pod can, and already has been replaced, but hopefully I can get some stuff off the hard drive from the crippled computer

The Pod can, and already has been replaced, but hopefully I can get some stuff off the hard drive from the crippled computer

I use one of these to access old hard drives, works like a charm...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=Sabrent+USB+2.0+to+IDE%2FSATA+Cable+for+2.5-Inch%2F+3.5-Inch+%2F+5.25-Inch+Drive+with+Power+Adapter

• Upvote 3

Now that's exactly what I need! Thanks a million

There is a very good chance your hard drive is still ok.  It is not connected directly to anything that would have been affected by your usb connection.  An external USB interface is a handy thing to have anyway for backups or cloning hard drives.  I use one all the time.  (I work for a hard drive company)

Yeah I had the USB break plug break on my 500 and shorted it out. Made sure to get the 3 year warranty on the 500X I replaced it with. Hopefully I don't need it but better safe than sorry. A lot of people have had that little plug break and cause problems for them. I can't believe it looks to be the same crappy USB plug on the 500X, you think they would have upgraded that for the extra couple of cents it would have cost them.

Yeah I had the USB break plug break on my 500 and shorted it out. Made sure to get the 3 year warranty on the 500X I replaced it with. Hopefully I don't need it but better safe than sorry. A lot of people have had that little plug break and cause problems for them. I can't believe it looks to be the same crappy USB plug on the 500X, you think they would have upgraded that for the extra couple of cents it would have cost them.

In the Helix forum, can't remember which thread, this was talked about and they did use a different USB port on the Helix. So hopefully that problem doesn't exist on the Helix.

I have the opposite problem....mine WON'T break. Iv'e dropped it down some stairs (winced every time it a step) and our singer was kind enough to kick a pint of beer all over it during a gig. Wiped it with a beer towel and voila! If truth be told it needed a bit of a dust  ;)

Finally got the device in the mail and it works great. Thank you for your help.

• Upvote 1