Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IPOD and Helix

derektownsend

There's isn't an MP3 input on the Helix like there is on the HD500(X), but you could use a pair of the 1/4" returns as an input for the iPod. You'd just have to get the right cable and adapters.

Given that Helix is supposedly supporting USB audio profile you should be able to use the iPod/iPhone/iPod USB camera adapter cable and plug right into the Helix USB audio path for both recording and play back.

Watch out out for having the right HW and iOS version though. Not so sure what version iPod you'd need to make this a supported feature.

Interesting - and too bad. iPhones and even some late version iPods seem to support class-compliant Audio (I use my iPhone 5 all the time to record or as a signal analyzer to check levels and frequency response with USB class compliant Audio HW). I think there was a change to support this starting with iOS7 and iOS devices with the then new smaller connector.

Interesting - and too bad. iPhones and even some late version iPods seem to support class-compliant Audio (I use my iPhone 5 all the time to record or as a signal analyzer to check levels and frequency response with USB class compliant Audio HW). I think there was a change to support this starting with iOS7 and iOS devices with the then new smaller connector.

Disregard. Just tried it with my iPhone. Totally works. Cool.

• Upvote 1

I need to do this(signal analyzer) What app are you using?

Thanks in advance!

SigScopePro from Faber Accoustics. Pricey $75-ish), but all the feature I would ever think of using and regularly updated.

I use a small Behringer AD/DA (UAD-someNumber) powered via iPhone when the measured device does not have class compliant USB to get digital signals in and out the iPhone. If you are just looking for relative accoustic measurements you can use the builtin Mic. If you need more precision or absolute numbers you need to calibrate the iPhone Mic or get a pre-calibrated external Mic (the App can read Mic calibration files) and the App provider recommends specific Mics if you need that level of precision.

I also got real nice 24 hour turn around time for a couple technical questions I had in the past.

I need to do this(signal analyzer) What app are you using? 

I'm very happy with this

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/analyzer/id454225351?mt=8

screen520x924.jpeg

The Analyzer is a combination of a sound pressure level (SPL) meter and a full range multiple bands frequency analyzer. It is mainly designed for audio professionals who need to evaluate different working environments (e.g. studios, live stages)... that’s why it’s perfect for anyone who’s in need of acoustical analysis!! It is easy to use and comes with amazing features only known from professional acoustic tools.

Use the Analyzer for measuring stages, testing speakers, setting up your hi-fi system, evaluating sound mixing environments, analyzing your instrument... or for measuring the noise your neighbor makes with his new stereo!

The Analyzer is pre-calibrated for all iDevices, but it includes a calibration function as well. It comes with a highly intuitive user interface with zoom gesture control, individual color settings, reticle zoom and many more exciting features. The Analyzer can store, load and export measurement data and supports iCloud storage.

Combine the Analyzer with external microphones such as the MicW i436 or Microtech M372 for better measurement performance! Or use it with external USB audio hardware like the RME Fireface UCX or the Alesis IO dock, change the measurement scale to dB (FS) and use it as a studio Realtime Analyzer!

ANALYZER FEATURES

SPL Meter:

- SPL measurement weighting functions: A B C Z 

- Industry standard response times: impulse, fast and slow

- Meter switchable to dB FS for measuring with external USB interface

- Pre-calibrated for all available iOS devices

Realtime Audio Analyzer (RTA) audio engine:

- Bandwidth selectable from 1 octave up to 1/1200 octave (depending on your iDevice)

- FFT block size from 1024 to 65536 samples 

- 6 different FFT window functions

- Leq measurement 

- Automatic peak detection 

- Signal generator: pink and white noise, sine

- Manual and automatic calibration

- Frequency response compensation for different mic characteristics of the built-in microphones 

RTA graphics:

- Touch gesture zoom

- Reticle with lens functionality 

- Bar or FFT line view 

- User definable graph colors 

- Create up to 14 snapshots with hold, Leq, or snapshot function

- Workspace concept: store all current snapshots and color settings

- Snapshot and workspace storage, load and export

- iCloud support: move files between local and iCloud storage 

- Export to .csv oder .png files: share them via Mail, Dropbox, iTunes etc.

- Import of .csv files

AVAILABLE AS IN-APP PURCHASES:

- Frequency response compensations for Mic-W i436 (with individually adjustable sensitivity), i266, i456, i825, i855, iShotgun and the Apple EarPods