Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X: outs, headphones & master vol

Rachmaninoff

I use the UNBALANCED OUTPUT jacks to send my audio to the mixer, and I'd like to use the PHONES jack with headphones so I could hear myself.

According to the manual, the MASTER vol controls all the levels: if I change the PHONES vol, the UNBALANCED OUTPUT vol will also be changed... is this the way it works? If so, the headphones are simply unusable in a live situation, since I have to redo my mixer level every time I change my MASTER vol!

The X3 Live has a way to deal with this, can't the HD500X? Did Line6 remove this feature from a supposedly more advanced unit?!

:o :o :o

How did you plan on using headphones in a live situation anyhow? Unless they are wireless headphones, which usually have their own volume. 

Also, the master volume is not suitable for that type of use. Set it and forget it. 

That is why it is called the master. It isn't what you use when you need to make a change to a patch. It is what you use to change the entire device. 

The good news, though... 

If you have to adjust the volume in the headphones for certain patches, then you know that you need to adjust the volume for the same patches because that is what comes out of the pa as well. 

How did you plan on using headphones in a live situation anyhow?

I already do this with my X3 Live. The UNBALANCED OUTS can remain at max vol, while the PHONES stay controlled by the MASTER vol.

I'm just baffled that the HD500X, which is "so advanced"... can't do this. <_<

I use one of these: http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Extension-Control-Switch/dp/B004GIFBM4/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1437116073&sr=8-48&keywords=headphone+volume .  I put an earbud in one ear to listen to myself from the phone out and control the volume with that - my other ear I listen to the stage monitors to hear the rest of the band.  Works great.

I already do this with my X3 Live. The UNBALANCED OUTS can remain at max vol, while the PHONES stay controlled by the MASTER vol.

I'm just baffled that the HD500X, which is "so advanced"... can't do this. <_<

But I mean --- 

are you being tethered on a live concert stage by a three foot headphone cord? 

Or being seen by 1000 people with big cans on your head?