Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi App on iOS 9

marsdaddy

No one here really knows how simple or complex the fix is. If it were simple, I have to imagine it would have been done already. I don't believe Line 6 is purposely trying to screw people over. Sometimes things simply happen that our beyond a company's control. Perhaps Apple changed some implementation last minute that Line 6 was depending on. There are all sorts of possible explanations.

That's nonsense.  If the problem is due to a last minute change by Apple to the RTM IOS 9 then it should only have affected a fix issued by Line 6 prior to that date based in response to the known problem that has existed between Amplifi Remote and the beta version of IOS 9 released months ago.  But Line 6 never issued any interim fix, so it can hardly be that a last minute change by Apple corrupted a fix that was never issued to begin with.

it was from enough days ago, to try and help users hold off on the update, of that was something that was important to them.

sorry you missed it.

they are very obviously working on an update... 

it only makes sense that if they're going to do it... to do it right... taking longer than you'd like clearly....

but still an important process for them to undertake.

When was this??? Today? If I have a piece of equipment that's not working, and that post was not from today, then that's not enough. 

its going to be as long as it takes to get it right... and then get it approved to the apple store....

noone would want it any sooner...

i believe that someone posted a response from line6Tony stating that they are actively working on it.

so that means sooner rather than later... 

again... sorry you don't like the answer... but they are not going to commit to an artificial release date because of the many various factors...

(bugs, testing, apples' approval process, and anything else foreseen or unforeseen....)

Updates. That's what we want. A week? A month? We're so screwed we have no clue? Transparency. That's what's needed. If I know it's going to be 30 days, then I need to buy a new amp. How hard is that to figure?

Unbelievable.

I don't know when Line6 posted this information that Amplifi app is not compatible with IOS 9, since there is no date on the post (http://line6.com/support/forum-70/announcement-70-ios-9-compatibility-statement).

But I sure as hell didn't find out until it was too late. Why not a mass email? Why not something on the main Line6 page? Why not a post in the forum?

Peeved, disappointed, and frustrated.

From what I can tell they released their statement shortly before the release date for iOS 9. There have been postings on the forums from me and others for weeks and weeks saying it was broken on iOS 9. I even contacted them directly weeks ago to tell them - no reply.

I too am in the same boat as so many others, of having updated my IOS before seeing or knowing anything about the incompatibility. It was crashing very consistently, every time that the Amplifi Amp Unit was on and paired with my iPhone. If the Amplifi Amp was off, the application would remain open. If I had bluetooth "forget" the Amp, then the application remains open. But, if the Amp is on and paired, the application consistently closes itself. The Amplifi remains paired to the phone, I can play music on it from my phone, and the guitar is still able to play on the Amp with the music on. Just the application will not remain open. 

Considering the symptoms and its consistent behavior, it seems like the issue should be easy to isolate. I agree that a notification should have been sent out to ALL line6 registered users to notify them of this issue the second they discovered it. But, as the saying goes hindsight is 20/20. My only real concern is how fast they are going to be able to remedy the problem and how they intend on notifying everyone that they have come up with a solution and distribute instruction on how to enact this solution.

Having users continue to come back to this forum to check for the solution is only going to further aggravate customers who are already highly agitated as it is. Surely there is a better means of communication to notify customers that have registered this type of equipment.  Surely, a better solution can be found to ensure that ALL updates to firmware, added features, or updates to applications can be communicated for effectively, so that users do not have to constantly connect each of thise applications and/or products all the time just to "check" if there are any updates. Especially since a number of them, would only require them to be connected once, as long as there are not any further updates to be had. Surely they can just TELL us that there are updates/fixes. Especially since they have a number of applications and profiles that all should either run something in the background or be able to notify any registered emails quite easily. Company profiles alone should give them a list of individuals that they should notify about the various different products.

This is literally the 3rd product I have bought from the company and every time I do, there is some issue that I was unaware of that either required extra action on my part or was incompatible entirely for my intended purpose. Sales people are uninformed and uneducated to the compatibility issues. and no information was given to me directly by the company either. Particularly when they should have seen that I purchased two incompatible items. It is only after I have gotten completely frustrated by the issue that I find out fact that should have been public knowledge from the start. But, instead I had dig hard and waste endless hours looking for information that should have been made more easily obtainable. Especially when it is a incompatibility issue with COMMON products or operating systems used by their client base.  

I would strongly urge the company to send out an official notification of the issue, with a summary of the issue, and an expected date-of-arrival of the remedy. Following that I would highly suggest that the company then work on a better system of notifications going forward in order to avoid having so many people run into problems such as this in the first place.As, I am quite sure that not being told of the incompatibility prior to their upgrades has many otherwise loyal customers considering switching out their equipment as a result.  Especially since this fix or the prevention of the issue should have been more easily remedied with proper communication.

Problems arise, we are all aware of that; but with effective communication these issues are prevented all together and/or become less of a annoyance as customers are more informed. I am sure that you have a team of individuals working on the issues as we speak/read, but I urge you to please, notify your customer base more effectively of the issue and its expected remedy date;so that we can then in turn not further escalate the issue both among ourselves (and potential buyers) by constantly adding to our frustration every time we check the forum only to find that there still is no word on the expected date of the remedy. It is irresponsible to place the burden of the fix on your customer base. And, it is not enough to simply say "we know a problem exists", if you don't have a published plan of attack/date of expected update. Especially if you do not have proper means of notification when the fix is finally found and implemented.

I propose that you place and "update/issues" background process within your already published applications. One that runs on the system upon login, and allows for push notifications of issues or updates. And/or push notifications within your Android/IPhone applications. Rather relying customers to "check" for updates on their own accord. 

Just my two cents...if they are even worth that...

• Upvote 1

For all of you that are frustrated over the Remote application incompatibility, I would add that you are able to access more than just the initial 4 pre-settings if you use a FBV Shortboard MKII. You will still be able to access all 25 channels of 4 presets for a total of 100 settings. And, will still be able to play music on the Amplifi while playing your guitar. The only thing effected is the fact that you will not be able to adjust your settings via the app and will not have access to "song matching" your settings via the app.

For those that do not already own a FBV Shortboard MKII, I would recommend buying anyway, as it has proven to be highly effective in conjunction withe the Amplifi, and is even better when paired in conjunction with the Remote App. Allowing to you turn on and off the various components found within the app (reverb, effect, stomp, etc...) via remote pedal. Not to mention having a better way to access all 100 presets with ease. 

I would strongly suggest you all consider this "upgrade"....

I downloaded Bias FX for my iPad and am running it through my studio monitors. I am really impressed by the sound.

Also pulled out my Vox ac4tv and remember how good it sounds.

Gotta try other things as I can't play my Amplifi 75.

Seriously shopping for a new amp. Thinking about going back to old school with pedals and a bigger tube amp.

Maybe a Traynor or an Orange.

Ideas?

I really feel that when and if this app update comes there are going to be more isssues.

The Bluetooth dropout etc.

Beyond frustrated.

Line 6 user since Pod 2.0

That's nonsense.  If the problem is due to a last minute change by Apple to the RTM IOS 9 then it should only have affected a fix issued by Line 6 prior to that date based in response to the known problem that has existed between Amplifi Remote and the beta version of IOS 9 released months ago.  But Line 6 never issued any interim fix, so it can hardly be that a last minute change by Apple corrupted a fix that was never issued to begin with.

The "real" problem is one of terrible communication from Line 6 to its customers and the mistrust this generates along with the shrinking faith in the companies products and service. It takes blind faith to assume that because they are saying nothing it's because they've made it a priority. If they had made it a priority, and especially if Apple was the source of the problem it would have been resolved prior to the official release of iOS 9, and certainly by the release of iOS 9.01. While I don't regret my upgrade to iOS 9, I do regret my purchase of Line 6 products.

Totally agree.  This is Line 6 giving all Amplifi customers the big wave off, except we don't even get a wave or nod from them..  

We all have other Bluetooth apps, like Pandora or Spotify that work just fine on iOS9.   The Amplifi Remote App stands out as being inferior.  In fact, these boards are littered with observations that the Bluetooth from Amplifi is not dependable, going back to the product launch.  L6 never had Bluetooth nailed for Amplifi, and now, Amplifi is a dead product for all of us suckers who had faith the L6 evolve the product..  And contrary to other apologists, we have no indication that L6 is "working hard" on this or if it's even a priority (compared to the Helix launch????)

Been an L6 customer and fan since 1998... but ...

You have to be kidding me. Just got the Amplifi TT today from an eBay purchase. Had the app downloaded and was ready never dreaming there was an issue with ios9. Crashed and crashed so I googled and found this. I've contacted the seller and sending this piece of junk back to them. Thanks a lot line6!

I'd simply like to add yet another frustrated voice to this group. I've got nothing more to say than like all of you, I'm sitting with an amp that doesn't do the things I bought it for.

I remain optimistic that Line 6 is working to fix the issue. I also remain disappointed with the lack of responses from the company.

I like Line 6 stuff, but right now I'm just annoyed.

I downloaded Bias FX for my iPad and am running it through my studio monitors. I am really impressed by the sound.

Also pulled out my Vox ac4tv and remember how good it sounds.

Gotta try other things as I can't play my Amplifi 75.

Seriously shopping for a new amp. Thinking about going back to old school with pedals and a bigger tube amp.

Maybe a Traynor or an Orange.

Ideas?

I really feel that when and if this app update comes there are going to be more isssues.

The Bluetooth dropout etc.

Beyond frustrated.

Line 6 user since Pod 2.0

I also use Positve Grid Bias and Bias FX with my studio monitors and they work great through the Aux in on my Amplifi 150

I was one of the lucky ones that did not upgrade to IOS 9 as I have seen this issue with other amp sims in the past but I actually prefer to use Bias FX anyway.

To be honest I think Bias FX is in a completely different league than Amplifi.

The part I don't understand is why everyone thinks the amp has an issue with Bluetooth. The issue is the Amplifi app not the Bluetooth implementation because none of my IOS devices lose Bluetooth connectivity to the amp. Maybe I am just not seeing the same issue. I just wish they would get the app to run in the background.

This is extremely sad though, they had months to prepare or at least start working with IOS 9 and especially with a product implementation that requires the controlling app to function in. It is glaringly obvious they do not care about customer satisfaction and while I don't actually have the issue since I stayed at IOS 8 I will probably not buy another line 6 product ever again.

Edit: I decided to mess around more with the the Bluetooth and sure enough it does get dropouts even when just playing a MP3 or video from you tube. One four minute song had 11 glitches (small gaps in audio). Now I feel like I have been sold something that doesn't even work as advertised and I am still at IOS 8.4.1.

For all of you that are frustrated over the Remote application incompatibility, I would add that you are able to access more than just the initial 4 pre-settings if you use a FBV Shortboard MKII. You will still be able to access all 25 channels of 4 presets for a total of 100 settings. And, will still be able to play music on the Amplifi while playing your guitar. The only thing effected is the fact that you will not be able to adjust your settings via the app and will not have access to "song matching" your settings via the app.

For those that do not already own a FBV Shortboard MKII, I would recommend buying anyway, as it has proven to be highly effective in conjunction withe the Amplifi, and is even better when paired in conjunction with the Remote App. Allowing to you turn on and off the various components found within the app (reverb, effect, stomp, etc...) via remote pedal. Not to mention having a better way to access all 100 presets with ease.

I would strongly suggest you all consider this "upgrade"....

So would all of you agree that line 6 owes us a VBF Shortboard for all the trouble they put us through ? I really feel that might be the redeeming thing to do for all the investment we put into you! You should put all that investment back into us don't you think? In fact I believe this is probably the right thing to do if you want to keep your hard earning musicians to continue to purchase your product. I could sure use one to continue working with my Amplifi 150 . Dose any one agree????

Line 6, you have my user name and email, you know how many registered products I own. Make this right again. Do the right thing by all of these disenchanted CUSTOMERS who loved your product in the beginning.

Thank you

Yours truley

I want to believe again

• Upvote 1

Very disappointing Line 6!!! All you had to do was send out an email and all of your customers would have had the option to wait on the update until you had it figured out. To know ahead of time that there was an issue that would render your product unusable and not deem this important enough to warn us is negligent. You have NO problem sending us your advertisements to buy new products but not to keep the products we have already supported you with operating is unappreciative and shameful. I waited until September 24th to install iOS 9 for any bugs to be worked out and in all that time Line 6 failed to notify anyone there was a problem. Do they expect all Apple customers to check ALL of there apps manually before updating to be sure of any issues? That is ridiculous!!!!!!!! Where do we go from here Line 6? I hope you can offer us some retribution. I find it absurd to think the ONLY option is to PURCHASE another Line 6 product just so I can use my Amplifi 150 I already own. Unacceptable 

People having the problem are increasing day by day.

Unfortunatly Apple prpososed the download of iOs 9 almost in an automatic way and probably there are thousand of people that have the iOs upgraded even if they didn't want.

This is what is happening in those days. 

Unfortunately I see that the first people having the problem where writing to Line 6 already on July 17 and nothing has been done since now.

A walkaround of the problem is to downgrade again your devices to iOs 8. I't not an easy job (you have to do it with iTunes). I did that but I didn't perform a backup and I've lost all the data on my iPad !!!

The FX100 won't stay connected to my iPad via Bluetooth. I returned the unit to Sweetwater and they convinced me to try another one. Arrived yesterday, same problem. Today I updated to iOS 9 hoping that would help, now I can't connect at all. Looks like this one is going back so that I don't get stuck with it while waiting for AMPLIFi to be updated.

its going to be as long as it takes to get it right... and then get it approved to the apple store....

noone would want it any sooner...

i believe that someone posted a response from line6Tony stating that they are actively working on it.

so that means sooner rather than later... 

again... sorry you don't like the answer... but they are not going to commit to an artificial release date because of the many various factors...

(bugs, testing, apples' approval process, and anything else foreseen or unforeseen....)

First dev. beta iOS 9 with same problems has been released 3 moths ago...

Holy crap seriously my Amplify 150 is a BRICK until they fix the software?!?!?!?!

Firstly, my recommendations to others of this amp now comes with a HUGE warning.

Secondly, Line 6, release a desktop version of the remote so that all of your customers aren't SOL on Apple's whim.

Lastly, fix this shiz!

:)

I'll keep checking the App Store....

• Upvote 1

I Just don't understand ....

No daily statements, no progress updates, nothing to give us hope. I cant change but 4 tones & spent $499.00 for a Bluetooth speaker at zZounds and can't use the amp the way it was designed. Do you think this was a design flaw to make the functionality around the iOS with out thinking about critical changes with Apples programming or have a plan to keep up with? I feel duped. It's surprising to see the lack of empathy you show for the customer. I work for a company as a RMA coordinator and would never leave a customer feel like no one cared about the product they spent money on without receiving some sort of resolve or work around. Dude this is wrong!

X

• Upvote 1

it was from enough days ago, to try and help users hold off on the update, of that was something that was important to them.

sorry you missed it.

they are very obviously working on an update... 

it only makes sense that if they're going to do it... to do it right... taking longer than you'd like clearly....

but still an important process for them to undertake.

I decided to hold off on sending mine back to the eBay seller because I think it will be worth the wait. I need a quick convenient hook up to my computer and this seems perfect. Hope they get it done sooner than later.

doesn't matter... they are working on an update... that is what matters.

Really? What if "First dev. beta iOS 9 with same problems has been released 10 YEARS ago..."? Will answer be the same? Time doesn't matter? For whom? For you, or for us, when our devices become BRICKS?

• Upvote 1

They don't support beta operating systems. The only time that matters is time after its released.

Clearly it needs done. Clearly they are working on it.

Sorry you are unhappy. But this is the current reality none the less.

Really? What if "First dev. beta iOS 9 with same problems has been released 10 YEARS ago..."? Will answer be the same? Time doesn't matter? For whom? For you, or for us, when our devices become BRICKS?

• Downvote 1

I Just don't understand ....

No daily statements, no progress updates, nothing to give us hope. I cant change but 4 tones & spent $499.00 for a Bluetooth speaker at zZounds and can't use the amp the way it was designed. Do you think this was a design flaw to make the functionality around the iOS with out thinking about critical changes with Apples programming or have a plan to keep up with? I feel duped. It's surprising to see the lack of empathy you show for the customer. I work for a company as a RMA coordinator and would never leave a customer feel like no one cared about the product they spent money on without receiving some sort of resolve or work around. Dude this is wrong!

X

Well the only workaround is to not update to iOS9 or to rollback. Unfortunately, Apple makes it very difficult to rollback to earlier versions of iOS, so there's not much else Line 6 can do other than just work on updating the app. The other unfortunate thing is that updates to apps have to go through Apple's approval process, so it's not a if Line 6 can give a guaranteed release date even if they wanted. I do understand users' frustration, especially people who've didn't actually choose to update but rather just got a new device with iOS9 pre-installed. Personally, I think that if you depend on apps for anything important to you, it's always wise to wait a few weeks or even months before installing iOS updates. That's just me, though.