Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boss Gt 8 Controlling A Spider Iv Head?

I just got a spider IV head amp and own a Boss GT8, I would like to use the Boss to control the spider IV or use the GT 8 fx only and keep the spider IV original amp sound but there is no fx loop... Any body tried to hook these up via a rj45/midi pin cable?

I am not sure it can control it.

I use my Digitech GNX4 with my HD150 Head.

No issue I just turn all the FX off, and put it on the head/Cab I want.  

Also you can use the FX with the pedal I have done this many times with no issues.

Don't use the RJ45 that is for the shortboard

What I was thinking (and that may sound silly from a newbie in Midi like me) is to find a cable wit a Midi "pin" plug on 1 side/RJ45 on the other to connect  the GT8 to the Spider head where the FBV goes and change programs on the Line 6 (FX, different preamp etc.) with the GT8 via MIDI.

I like the sound of the Line 6 but like the convenience of the GT8.

I used to play on a Marshall all tube JCM 2000 and was hooking up my GT5 on it with a 4 cable method using the FX loop on the Marshall. Best of both worlds, I had the all tube sound from the amp with the FX programed just how I want it on the GT5, and placed anywhere i wanted before or after the Marshall preamp thanks to the FX loop on the Marshall

Now I have a GT8, I live on the other side of the planet and had to sell my Marshal before coming here and I can't afford to buy another one...but i like the line 6 Spider IV, the only problem is I cant do what I used to since there is no FX loop, so I am trying to find a way around that...or at least being able to use the GT8 as a better foot controler for all the possibilities of the Spider IV without having to spend another $200 on a Shortboard...I have the FBV EXPRESS with it but that's nowhere near as convenient as the GT8 as far as programming it.

I did try to use the GT8 straight in the amp, dialing a neutral clean sound on the Line 6 and using the full preamp/FX etc from the GT8, not bad at all but i think i still like the Spider IV sound better...

I use both my pedals at the same time.  I have the short board, and my GNX4.

I am making a double stack pedal board so it takes up less space.  I see what you are saying but I am not sure it can be done.  report back and let us know.  Cool idea.

Note that if you screw up the internals of your amp (or GT8) byy trying to control the amp through the CAT5 connector, you won't be covered by warranties.  I would venture to say it won't work anyway.   The GT8 is an effects processor, not sure what the MIDI output on it is, but I'm sure it is not switching, which is what the CAT5 is for the FBV/Spider connection.  The FBVs are just switches, and the signal transmitted to the amp is just switching.