Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone control help, jtv-59

Just purchased a new jtv-59 2014/2015. My question is when I play with a model selected, doesn't matter which one. When I roll the tone control back from ten the guitar or note plucked volume goes up a little at around 8. Then from there the treble slowly cuts as you dial,it back. Now when I just use the regular pickups no model, the tone control works just like my regular guitar. Any thought? Or is this normal

It used to be normal... My 300 does it, and my 59 (2010) & 69S (2012) did it initially, but with firmware updates (later couple - can't remember which one exactly) that mid-range boost before roll off went away, and it now acts like I would expect it to. Check which firmware you have -- I'm guessing not the latest.... Even though you purchased it in 2014/2015 -- check your SN -- mfg date is in there.... Nobody really mentioned it was fixed, that I recall.... As I also recall forum discussions back when the JTV's came out, it was a result of first generation modeling first used in the JTV's transferred up from the 300/500/600/700 series.

Dave

I tested it on a JTV-59 with Flash v2.00 and v2.21, it’s less apparent when using Flash v2.21 (the latest and current).

It sounds like the effect is a quirk of filtering processes,…

-The pick-ups are inductors with a magnet. Passive Filters- inductor, capacitor and resistor are passive components, and create a “first-order† passive resonant filter circuit.

-In Model mode, the filter is built around a function block, and if there is an amp (real or virtual) involved, then it creates

an active filter circuit. Since it is an active filter, it is automatically a “second order†filter.

-Passive filters are smooth across the frequency response band. Neve uses this in their mixing consoles, it’s a smooth response, and then they send that output to an amplifier, allowing gain changes and still maintaining that smooth response.

-Active filters have emphasis and de-emphasis just before the roll-off frequency point. Synthesizers use this by exaggerating the emphasis and de-emphasis to create undulating filter sweeps, by cascading “second order†filters into one another to create extreme filter sweeps.

The Chebyshev response curve is the one that is the smoother of the active filters, is stable and easier to control, and keeps ripple and emphasis to a minimum,… which is why some of us like using them in audio circuits.

It’s how some Wah-Wah's works,… volume/tone pot is tied into an active circuit making it an active filter, changing the cut-off point or the Q-factor (gain at the resonance point). The more orders of active filter, the more extreme the effect you can get out of it.

Sounds like what capdoogie is experiencing is an ultralight version of active filtering in Model mode vs passive pick-ups. Like I said earlier, less apparent with Flash v2.21 program.