Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How many HD users will actually upgrade to helix

katiekerry

I was kinda curious how many out there is willing to shell out a extra Grand for this.  From what i have heard from the Video demos ( the sound samples only are maybe 15% better than the HD series at best). In my opinion especially for what I use it for If I needed all the extra studio functions it would be different hence has less value for me..  The Control options are allot better and the processing power more robust but for me it doesn't seem worth the hassle or the cost. Allot of the added features I would not use and I would have to rebuild all my patches from scratch again like when I upgraded from the Xt series and the old Bean POD before that..  I am just not sold on this unit as a worthy upgrade for me at this time...  just wondering other peoples thoughts or am I the only one thinking this way..  By the way if you don't agree with me that's fine this is a forum not a faq page..  Just no need for attacking peoples opinions...  I don't openly attack other peoples Ideas unless in retaliation or provoked..

just out of interest how did you come to 15% better in sound ? at 15% i would be suprised anyone could tell the difference ?

it will be more than just sound/moddelling thats upgraded i would of thought the helix will have a whole host of things the HD500X is not able to do.

• Upvote 2

I will. Helix is (almost) everything I wanted the HD500 to be, and so much more.
Upgrades in modeling? There always are from one generation to another...
If the jump is similar to what HD was in comparison with XT/X3 generation, it's already worth it for me.
In fact, I'm already waiting with childish anticipation, because I want to use it live ASAP.
One thing is clear to me: If I wasn't single, I would most probably have to wait a little while longer before I could justify the purchase :D

• Upvote 2

Too expensive right now for me. Like others I want to hear more **sounds** from it; I have seen enough about the interface. It's cool and friendly; I get it. But the sounds have to be compelling for me to want to buy it. Right now I love my HD500 and DT25 rig and it sounds pretty great to me, so I need to hear something amazing to make me save up $1500 for it.

• Upvote 2

just out of interest how did you come to 15% better in sound ? at 15% i would be suprised anyone could tell the difference ?

it will be more than just sound/moddelling thats upgraded i would of thought the helix will have a whole host of things the HD500X is not able to do.

the 15% is just my personal reference.  I came to that from listening to what videos they have out there.  Since I have upgraded from every pod since they started (Pod 1.0 -Pod HD500 and the in between).  The hype I felt with each new release From watching videos listening to sound samples and trying them out in the shops.  Then after I purchase them realizing side by side with the previous models there is usually only about a 15% quality difference.  And so far I feel the same way..  When the HD500 came out they were blasting the XT series say how they were not dynamic (the same with the previous versions)  making side by side videos where they run the new model through 10 grand worth of mixing equipment and the old one they would literally use the camera mic..  Or allot of times out of the box the units sound like crap but once you tweak them for a while they sound way better ( so they would just use stock settings)..  And I am aware of the other upgrades 90% of them I would not use,  There is tons of functions on the HD series I don't use..  But your opinions are valid, each of us have our own experiences that makes our opinions differ. 

The sad and funny thing of it is my favorite amp model they ever had was the original tremoverb from POD 1.5....  It just sounded amazing to me did tons of recordings with that amp model.

ah ok i see

i just think it probs better to explain why and where the sound, sounds better rather than giving an % because there is nothing to gauge it to

for example if you where measuring the performance of something then i can understand but when it comes to sound i cant get my head wrapped around better 15% sound quality because there is no figures to measure it against to get an fair comparison ..

for me it either sounds better or worse ...

it sound to me you dont need to upgrade as the HD is more than you need already.

in the end it is just a matter of true motivations, pockets and possibilities ..

who wouldn't buy an Axe-FX if could afford to spend serenely 2500?

who wouldn't buy a KPA if could afford to spend serenely 2000?

who wouldn't buy a Helix if could afford to spend serenely 1500?

and so on ..

Fortunately today, for a lot less money (and maybe a bit more work) you can still get great results

Well, I could afford to buy an Axe FX II or a Kemper, but I've never really felt tempted to. I've looked at the manual and other stuff, and it just seems very clunky from a user experience perspective. It's kind of the feeling I get when looking at the Kemper as well. Now I'll admit that I might be judging these too harshly just because I haven't actually tried them in person, but I've never felt that I would have the patience to learn how to use them to their full ability. I guess I'm at the point where the workflow and ergonomics is a huge thing for me. I get tired of dealing in the tedium of menus and parameters.

• Upvote 1

my estimate is 1369 in the first year... based on absolutely no scientific data or market research. Full disclosure I already preordered...

PS - I considered both AXE FX and Kemper but since neither offers an all in one floor solution they didn't make the list...  AX8 is too little, too late for me...

in the end it is just a matter of true motivations, pockets and possibilities ..

who wouldn't buy an Axe-FX if could afford to spend serenely 2500?

who wouldn't buy a KPA if could afford to spend serenely 2000?

who wouldn't buy a Helix if could afford to spend serenely 1500?

and so on ..

Fortunately today, for a lot less money (and maybe a bit more work) you can still get great results

Amen to that

I guess I'm at the point where the workflow and ergonomics is a huge thing for me. I get tired of dealing in the tedium of menus and parameters.

I get that exactly I have the HD series down to what I wanna do,  It sounds good to me and to allot people I don't wanna relearn and redo patches..

I get that exactly I have the HD series down to what I wanna do,  It sounds good to me and to allot people I don't wanna relearn and redo patches..

Totally get that... And, you know, if you're happy with the HD, you might as well keep using it. I will say, though, I actually think the Helix's interface is easier to use than the HD. It is honestly the fastest UI I've ever used on a multi-effect.

Totally get that... And, you know, if you're happy with the HD, you might as well keep using it. I will say, though, I actually think the Helix's interface is easier to use than the HD. It is honestly the fastest UI I've ever used on a multi-effect.

Yeah I admit that UI is pretty sweet just not a Grand worth sweet..

• Upvote 1

Some great posts here in this great thread. I won't be getting a Helix anytime soon for sure unless something unusual happens, financially that is. I get the feeling that from what I've learned by using gear such as Line 6's TonePort UX2, X3 Pro, HD500 and KB37 that I would be able to get good tone happily, quickly and easily with the Helix. I just get that feeling with the experience I've gained and from what I've seen in the video's, ad's and specs description. I'm sure whomever gets the Helix is going to really enjoy it.

Former owner of an HD500 here (sold it after Helix was introduced). I have the Helix on order.

Of course the answer is personal and situation dependent. I've been waiting for something easier to program and next generation in terms of sonic quality and lo and behold, Line 6 comes out with it in the form of Helix. Had been tempted by AxeFx but price and clunky UI got in the way. And I figured it was as tweak-inducing as the HD was.

I'm blessed on the whole price thing (Helix relative to HD500), after working 60 hours a week for a few decades, money isn't the issue. Time is far more precious, and I'd rather spend it playing rather than tweaking. Enough said.

Haven't preordered yet, and probably won't. I really wanna wait and see what the initial effects list is going to look like. Amp list for me is way more than enough, in fact overkill. The thing about what TheRealZap said factors in heavily for me, since I'd use it only for recording. I'm also curious how it will compare to the AX8. But I will more than likely have this thing before year's end.

$1500 is a lot to gamble on a unit that to date, no one but the beta-testers have played...especially when I have something that I'm quite happy with. My days of trying to audition gear down at the local Megarifftorium, amidst a room full of high school kids trying desperately to squeak out an out-of-tune version of this week's hit are over...I'm gonna wait for the jury to deliberate for a while. My 500X is just as good as it was last month, before they announced the Helix.

• Upvote 2

$1500 is a lot to gamble on a unit that to date, no one but the beta-testers have played...and my days of trying to audition gear down at the local Megarifftorium, amidst a room full of high school kids trying desperately to squeak out an out-of-tune version of this week's hit are over...I'm gonna wait for the jury to deliberate for a while. My 500X is just as good as it was last month, before they announced the Helix.

No one should pay $1,500 for this, nor buy it from a company who won't allow you to return it after evaluating it in the comfort of your own home. Just sayin'.....

No one should pay $1,500 for this, nor buy it from a company who won't allow you to return it after evaluating it in the comfort of your own home. Just sayin'.....

Well there are retailers such as Sweetwater that allow you to do exactly that...30 days to try it out, no questions asked return if you don't like it, but it's still a pain in the a$$ to do the try/return/wait for refund dance. I try to avoid that.

Waiting for some public opinion / testing in store once it is released and then decide...hoping to receive a 50% off coupon from Line 6 or something like that for Christmas :P

That's the other thing...I got burned on the price I payed for both my JTV and L2T, as I bought both just before the holidays. Sweetwater trends to drop prices in mid-January on lots of stuff. No more gear for Xmas, I'll just have to wait an extra couple of weeks for Santa to show up. ;)

$1500 is a lot to gamble on a unit that to date, no one but the beta-testers have played...especially when I have something that I'm quite happy with. My days of trying to audition gear down at the local Megarifftorium, amidst a room full of high school kids trying desperately to squeak out an out-of-tune version of this week's hit are over...I'm gonna wait for the jury to deliberate for a while. My 500X is just as good as it was last month, before they announced the Helix.

I actually saw about a month or so ago someone had a deal where they were selling it for 2 or 3 hundred off of orders over a certain amount..  I saw someone was able to get sweetwater to price match it.  It was in one of chats in the forums..  They had 36 month interest free but I think the price will drop in a year or so..  similiar to the JTV..

I preordered my Helix through Sweetwater with the 36 mo, zero interest deal and put it on their card.  Zero cash out of pocket.  Payments are about $45 a month.  When it ships I might have made 2 or 3 payments so only $100-150 invested and I can put it through the paces for a month at home.  If I don't like it I can send it back for a few bucks shipping cost.  No harm no foul.  If I like it (hopefully) I may just sell the HD500 along with all the rest of the gear I am dumping.  By the time I am done I will just have the Helix, my JTV-69, and my PA.   Rig sorted...

I've put off buying the expensive amps and guitars I wanted for many years to put family first.  It's my turn now and I am going to get what I want this time, damn the torpedoes...  ;)

• Upvote 1

I actually pre-ordered Helix just a few hours after its announcement! I know, it was just too pretty, lol.

Been using the HD500 with amps since it came out, but was never satisfied with the direct sound. So far, I like how Helix sounds direct so this is the first time I'm considering going the FRFR route. Just tired of using the 4CM and wish to simplify my gigging rig further. This is the main reason why I'm really looking forward to using Helix. I will keep the HD500 as a B rig or maybe sell it, we'll see. The wait is killing me though.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I will.  This will be my first Line6 purchase which will upgrade my rig from a Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX (plus other gear and cab).  I was about to purchase an Axe-FX II when I came across Helix.  I'm usually very frugal when it comes to investing time and money on these things.  So I prefer to read the manual before purchasing.  I have read through the competitor's manuals and would like to do the same here.  As it stands, the overall user interface for Helix is by far the winning features for me.  Tone quality seems to be there, but that's a personal gut feeling.  I won't know until I have it in my studio and can produce the sonic tones I'm searching.  This would have been true for any other unit as well.  And if it doesn't work out for me, I'll sell it to one of you lucky folks at a discounted price. :)

At the moment, I'm sold.  Unless there is something glaringly wrong on the manual, I'll place an order once it becomes available.  I prefer to keep my money in an interest bearing savings account of 0.000000000001% in the mean time.  Hmmm, I wonder if there is a negative sign in front of that figure now... :unsure:?

Well I am not an HD user, I went with the Eleven Rack as it sounded better, and had the routing that I required. (which the HD series lacked severely) As I needed a great Audio Interface, and guitar processor that had awesome ReAmping abilities for my studio.  

That being said, I am SERIOUSLY thinking of upgrading from my Eleven Rack to the Helix Rack.  So much with the Helix is attractive for what I want to do. I just need to hear more sound clips, videos, and reviews, and tone comparison with similar gear (11r, axe FX, kemper) and if they are better than what I am getting with my 11r, then I will definitely be upgrading to the Helix.

One of the reasons I am thinking of upgrading is I know Line 6 will support Windows 10, with the Helix. They would have to be down right stupid not to.

I'm definitely going to get one, someday.

The cost in aussie dollars is a bit prohibitive.

It'l be on my wishlist for a little while until I workout how.

(thinking the Sweatwater deal is a great way to go)

It looks great and I can already tell sounds great,

would be more than nice to have.

A Must Have

For better or worse, I sold my HD500X, and pre-ordered a Helix. I'm generally not an "Early Adopter", but when the Helix was announced I decided to become one, and I'm hoping that I end up being really happy with that decision.

• Upvote 1

One of the reasons I am thinking of upgrading is I know Line 6 will support Windows 10, with the Helix. They would have to be down right stupid not to.

I've been trying Windows 10, and currently the HD stuff works on it. So I see no reason why Helix won't. I'm actually hoping Helix will work on 7, as 10 is really underwhelming in my view. It still needs a lot of polishing in a lot of areas.

• Upvote 1

I've been trying Windows 10, and currently the HD stuff works on it. So I see no reason why Helix won't. I'm actually hoping Helix will work on 7, as 10 is really underwhelming in my view. It still needs a lot of polishing in a lot of areas.

I am on 8.1, and so far, I like the OS. 

I am looking forward to Windows 10 mainly for DX12.  That is gonna be a significant increase, even if half of what they projected is accurate.

The 11R is well over half a decade old already, so there is the chance that it won't be supported fully with Win10. Since the Helix is launching close to the same time Win10 is, I really had no doubt that they would support Win10. If not at launch, then at least a few months after.

I will, just not sure how soon -- gonna let it cook for a while. I have the 500X, and a 500 for its backup, and they have served me quite well.

I gig for 2 main reasons -- 1) because I love it, and 2) it supports my GAS.... Been a weekender for over 40 years, and it's allowed me to have very decent equipment.

I probably won't be able to wait long before I get the Helix, just want it to get into players' hands and get over the initial un-expected whoops' moments that all new releases seem to have.

I got my JTV-59 early -- ordered it in Oct 2010, got it May 2011, sent it back right away as it had the 3-way switch soldering problem that was the hold-up from switch replacements on that model initially... The wait from October to May was excruciating, then the switch SNAFU was again agonizing. The guitar has been a solid performer, so much so that I got the 69S in 2012 when it first came out as a backup (no problems with that one - TG).

I like pretty much everything I've been able to find out about the Helix, and just hope it lives up to the expectations. I'm definitely in the floor unit camp, as floor space is taken up with either it or the controller pedal for the rack version.

I run a very downsize rig -- HD500X into a Quilter Tone Block 200 (or Crown XLS1000) into a Yorkville PA/Monitor on a stand. I take my 59 and 69S - the 69S is my main guitar with the 59 on the stand for broken string contingency. I get that in the hatchback of my Honda CRV, with the spare HD500 and Crown Amp in there. 3 trips from the car and I'm in. Bada-bing, bada-boom.

Dave

I am waiting until Axe 8 and Helix (and whatever else might come along) are released, so I can try them for myself and then I will buy one. As of now, I want helix to sound best, for all the design benefits it offers, but sound is the sine qua non.

Unfortunately Kemper doesn't fit my design specs because it can't emulate both clean and O/D settings in a single patch, controlled by a pedal, otherwise that might be my choice. I know I could use 2 kempers, but that's a bit rich for my blood and too bulky for the kinds of gigs I mainly do. Plus I really like using a floor board solution after years of carting around big old racks of Boogies and outboard fx!

Yeah I admit that UI is pretty sweet just not a Grand worth sweet..

It's a grand worth to me.  It's very hard to make across-the-board statements like this about $$$ value.  (For some people, burled walnut on their dashboard is worth $10K.  Me, I couldn't care less... just one random example.)  I've found in the past couple of years that it's frighteningly easy to run through a thousand dollars (to make no mention of the time and misery) buying, configuring, testing, and being disappointed with footcontrollers, control surfaces, editing solutions, etc.  Even if the Helix sounded just like the HD, it would have grabbed my attention on account of that UI.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't exactly call it upgrading, as I have no intentions of dumping my HD500X.  I did pre-order Helix from Sweetwater.  I didn't pay $1500 and I got in on the 36 month 0% deal.  I also ordered, from Amazon, an Alto TS110A Powered PA Speaker to go with it.

I am definitely going to upgrade - and relegate the HD500 to the B Rig; I just know it is going to happen, as the HD500 was one of the first and I was an early adopter on that one - I had actually gone out to buy a X3L and was scuppered because it was out of stock with no more due and hence found out about it's replacement. So my HD500 has been used a lot.

But the latest model packs and recent L2t purchases have given the HD500 a new lease of life, so I will not be buying the Helix immediately unless the HD500 shuffles off its mortal coil in the next few months, but perhaps a Christmas present?