Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How many HD users will actually upgrade to helix

katiekerry

I'll be looking on it seriously when it is around 1000$ :lol:

What do you consider "around" $1000?  i.e. What is your margin for error?  If you pay close attention to web retailers coupon offers, etc. the Helix is what I would call "around $1000" already.

Which will be about a month before the next generation modeler, the L6 Flummox, is released...and then we'll all want that instead. ;)

Are the Flummox demo videos up yet?  I want to pre-order! :P :P

Like others have said, I want to hear more sound samples. I watched the videos and they talk a lot about what it can do, but I want to hear what it can do. I checked out the samples on Sound Cloud and they are pretty good. But I have to say, I have been using bias and bias fx (the app and desktop versions) for about 6 weeks now and I am totally blown away. Plus the ability to make tones on my iPad, put it in the cloud, then start up my DAW and have those tones waiting for me is pretty cool. It's not better than Line6, just different. But I don't think the asking price of $1500 for the Helix is too much. You are basically getting a computer with software. It's a tough market out there when it comes to amp sims with so many to chose from and being so subjective as to what sounds good or "real".

Which will be about a month before the next generation modeler, the L6 Flummox, is released...and then we'll all want that instead. ;)

Not so I have seen that people have already got 300 off and don't forget the price drops to the Variax line a few years ago.  They drop prices at least once a year or more..  They recently dropped prices for the expansion packs..

• Upvote 1

Don't get too excited just yet. I hear that Flummox is only going to sound 17.8% better than Helix. ;)

17.8% on its own...easily upped to at least 23.4% if you pair it with the new line of 4D Trans-ValveSmasher speakers (FRFR "guitar looking" powered cabs, complete with beer-cozy) that will be released with the Flummox. They're gonna replace the Stagesource stuff soon...;)

• Upvote 1

Will not be upgrading. At least not until the L6 Link can run the DT series amps correctly handling switch of the topology, class etc.... or Line 6 comes out with a DT Series replacement that works in similar fashion. I would love to upgrade to the Helix, so far to my ears the Helix has bit smoother but I can certainly continue with the my current HD rig just fine.

• Upvote 2

Eventually I will switch, but in the near future I am more likely to pick up a 500x first (already have a Bean and 500) just for the dsp and the anticipated $ drop when the GAS hoards liquidate their HDs :D

Eventually I will switch, but in the near future I am more likely to pick up a 500x first (already have a Bean and 500) just for the dsp and the anticipated $ drop when the GAS hoards liquidate their HDs :D

I'll be selling my almost new HD500x for sure!

It's gotta have the sound!!!!  I'm so far iimpressed with it. The Univibe sim did sound gooey and some of the reverbs I've heard sound good so far to me also. I've always thought the effects were lacking. Especially the Chorus and Reverbs. If the effects have improved as much as it sounds like so far, I'm mostly in. But the amps gotta be good too. I've spent alot of money on Line 6 (happily) but I'm pretty much good to go right now. So the Helix has to be a large bit (whatever that is) better than the HD500 series. After that, I'll finally have everything I want!!!! (Yeah, right :rolleyes:)

I was kinda curious how many out there is willing to shell out a extra Grand for this.  From what i have heard from the Video demos ( the sound samples only are maybe 15% better than the HD series at best).  The Control options are allot better and the processing power more robust but for me it doesn't seem worth the hassle or the cost. Allot of the added features I would not use and I would have to rebuild all my patches from scratch again like when I upgraded from the Xt series and the old Bean POD before that..  I am just not sold on this unit as a worthy upgrade for me at this time...  just wondering other peoples thoughts or am I the only one thinking this way..

I wanted to ask the same question some time ago but didn't - so thanks for asking.

For me personally what counts is the sound and the feeling when playing. From what I heard until now, it sounds pretty good, but to be honest there is nothing I can't achieve with my HD500. There might be some differences but in the End is all about EQ. Of course I can't tell how better it feels playing it at this time.

So at this moment I would say that I will definatley try it out in a shop myself, but won't buy it. The price for me is much too high. Not that I couldn't afford it if I wanted but I will not spend that much for a modeling unit right now.

• Upvote 1

If you record with your HD, the helix will do amazing things for you.... 

just saying... that can factor in pretty heavy when someone is contemplating the value of the Helix to them.

Yeah, thats the only thing I even think about buying in the future. The reamping feature and phantom power ist a big + for me.

...For me personally what counts is the sound and the feeling when playing. From what I heard until now, it sounds pretty good, but to be honest there is nothing I can't achieve with my HD500. There might be some differences but in the End is all about EQ. Of course I can't tell how better it feels playing it at this time....

+1

I've always thought the effects were lacking. Especially the Chorus and Reverbs.

I haven't used a Line 6 product since the Vetta, but I specifically remember loving its reverbs (and if I'm being honest, not much else LOL.)  Have Line 6's reverbs gotten worse since then, or do I just have a tin ear for reverb??

I haven't used a Line 6 product since the Vetta, but I specifically remember loving its reverbs (and if I'm being honest, not much else LOL.)  Have Line 6's reverbs gotten worse since then, or do I just have a tin ear for reverb??

I've always liked the M-series (aka HD) reverbs. I think they're great, personally.

• Upvote 1

Im gonna give the Helix a go.

After reading and discover that L6 has finaly taken the step to emulate componet and path to the next component. I know it will be a drastic change in sound/tone. All fx and amp sims will be like nothing in the passed. And top that off with custom cab IRs.

But im keeping my Pod HD pro X.

As a previous XT Live user and now HD500(and Variax) user, my Helix has been on pre-order since 6/19. Patiently waiting...   :rolleyes:

Got ya beat. My order was placed on 6/13 

Yes, I pee'd further than you did. lol

• Upvote 1

Got ya beat. My order was placed on 6/13 

Yes, I pee'd further than you did. lol

Yea, I checked it out at Sweetwater's Gearfest, but waited until some pricing/deal chatter started happening and jumped in. ;)

There's always a period, be it years or decades, where tech has lots of room to be improved but then plateaus. This is especially true with music tech because the last element in the chain is the human hearing system and until the singularity comes when humans are no longer humans and sensations have been enhanced a million fold, if you can't get perfectly satisfying tone from what's contemporarily available, you got psychiatric, not gear, problems. :D

Sure, I'll take a Helix... for 500 bucks. Wake me when its being blown out. :P .

Guaranteed there'll be complaining  about how Helix sounds in the coming years, hehe

I will!

I love my 500HD/DT50 & DT25 setup. I hope I can get Helix to work the same way with my DT amps.

Just bought this Thunderbolt soundcard

http://us.focusrite.com/thunderbolt-audio-interfaces/clarett-8pre

from Focusrite to record with it in Cubase

Can't wait to get my band into studio modes this fall.

You and me have the same amp setup. I know this is a bit off topic but do you run the DT50 first or the DT25 first? What models do you primarily use for each amp?

For $1500, Helix is going to have to blow away the sound of my HD500X into the L2. I'd say the HD500x into L2 is about 85% as good as HD into DT25. With the bonus of sounding better with acoustic JTV models.

All the other routing options, etc won't mean anything if the sound and feel of the amps isn't a significant upgrade over HD509x

• Upvote 1