Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How many HD users will actually upgrade to helix

katiekerry

It seems to me the driving force for people upgrading is the ease of dialing in tones.. Not so much better sound quality ( though they seem to look toward that also).. I guess for me since I already have all my presets made and its not cumbersome for me to make a new tone I don't see the value in it....   I actually see less value because I have to go through and make all new tones.. which was frustrating in previous upgrades ( been using line6 since the original POD)..  All the other features like 4 amps and 8 channels of audio I would never use, nor would I use the multi assignable effects loop... that was the point of buying the modeler so I would not need outboard effects..   I am trying to go back to what I would call modern basics, some of the greatest music was record with 2 tracks or less, with just a amp and guitar.  It relied more and ingenuity of playing vs billions of effects and routing options..  I think for me and allot of people including  me its overkill...

I think the primary benefits are the notion that it's a 'control' center. What that means to each person is very customizable. I think the visual reference to what any give footswitch does is a HUGE benefit. I like to make different switches fdo different things in my HD500x patches. It can be tricky trying to remember if I made a patch intended to be 8 FS vs patch + 4 fFS config, or which FS controls which type of effect, or even what that effect is. Big upgrade there, for me. Especially since each switch can really be made to do nearly anything. You aren't tied down to a specific configuration of FS from patch to patch - or at least, your memory will be free to focus on the music, lyrics or performance based efforts, rather than trying to remember that FS4 is phaser on patch 12B.. And that, to me, will be a tremendous performance enhancement.

The Anderton's videos, thus far, have done the most to persuade me that it's higher cost is an accurate reflection of it's increased offering. The second video they made, in particular was an eye opener. They set up the Helix foot switches to control the physical amp they were plugging into; stuff like channel switching. I don't think they were even using the amp modeling in that second video; they just had Paul Hindmarsh playing guitar, while the Andertons' guys tweaked settings and effects while he played. Of course, the first video covers all the direct tones which definitely sound stellar! I certainly heard some things in there that caught my attention.

That, and the Helix does seem to go the extra mile for the "four cable method" enthusiasts. Because the FX loops are so robust, and they can be assigned to different FS setups, it immediately takes it beyond the HD500x series. You can insert various outboard pedals, and put them into two loops - you don't have to choose between only pre or only post, a limitation on the HD500x since it has only one effects loop. These items seem like extras that some may not use, but they are likely to be used more readily than you think! Put your favorite overdrive in the pre-amp model slot, and put your favorite reverb or delay pedal into the post effect loop. Right there, I am already excited! I'd love to sequence my analog pedalboard through the Helix in a pre and post. As such, you also have that much more control over setting up four cable method rigs. 

All the other features like 8 channels of audio I would never use, nor would I use the multi assignable effects loop.

Not trying to start anything here, but I would guess the chances are quite good you would use both of those options.

The 8 channel audio is easy: that means 8 tracks to ProTools through the Helix, at ultra low latency.

Sure, you may have an awesome way better 8 channel sound card. That does re-amping. But having something like this, which is portable, could be great given the circumstance of how it's used. Just sayin. I use my HD500x as my main sound card right now, into ProTools, etc. I can definitely see some benefits to using the Helix in it's place! I have an old M-Audio Delta 1010 that is an 8 channel soundcard, but it requires a PCI slot, which i don't have open in the PC for my music room. 

A good USB 8 channel soundcard, definitely can find some uses for that. Drum tracking? 

Which brings us to the FX loops; since the returns are how you'd be using the Helix as an 8 track soundcard. Again, maybe you really won't use that feature, or maybe it's redundant to better options already in your personal arsenal. I still think being able to integrate external FX pedals and outboard rack gear to the Helix through it's assignable FX loops will prove to be of major value to peoples' rig building. Ultimately, for me, I can get behind the idea of its role as rig commander, central brain, whatever. It's able to be all if it all alone, direct, or if you want, it can expand substantially to take on greater functionality in a more complex rig configuration.

I respect all you've said, and believe me, I don't have a spare $1500 burning a hole in my pocket! So as much as I would like to snag one on day one, it's gonna be a while..

Cheers!

Not trying to start anything here, but I would guess the chances are quite good you would use both of those options.

The 8 channel audio is easy: that means 8 tracks to ProTools through the Helix, at ultra low latency.

Sure, you may have an awesome way better 8 channel sound card. That does re-amping. But having something like this, which is portable, could be great given the circumstance of how it's used. Just sayin. I use my HD500x as my main sound card right now, into ProTools, etc. I can definitely see some benefits to using the Helix in it's place! I have an old M-Audio Delta 1010 that is an 8 channel soundcard, but it requires a PCI slot, which i don't have open in the PC for my music room. 

A good USB 8 channel soundcard, definitely can find some uses for that. Drum tracking? 

Which brings us to the FX loops; since the returns are how you'd be using the Helix as an 8 track soundcard. Again, maybe you really won't use that feature, or maybe it's redundant to better options already in your personal arsenal. I still think being able to integrate external FX pedals and outboard rack gear to the Helix through it's assignable FX loops will prove to be of major value to peoples' rig building. Ultimately, for me, I can get behind the idea of its role as rig commander, central brain, whatever. It's able to be all if it all alone, direct, or if you want, it can expand substantially to take on greater functionality in a more complex rig configuration.

I respect all you've said, and believe me, I don't have a spare $1500 burning a hole in my pocket! So as much as I would like to snag one on day one, it's gonna be a while..

Cheers!

Yeah I still don't think I would use the 8 track feature.  I don't record hardly ever..  Also I am kinda at the end of the road for huge investments in time and money for guitar.  ( I am mainly focusing on Drums right now).  I had a goal of learning a 100 songs on guitar then moving on to making my own music.  I have made the first goal now I am learning drums so I can start writing my own music..  I actually enjoy playing drums more, but when I was younger technology was not quite there yet for Electronic drum kits ( do to noise restraints of apartment living could not have acoustic kit)..  Its funny though I have my own house now, but still use a E kit LOL..

Entertaining thread!

I made this point earlier in this thread and I think it may very well be worth restating.

I have no doubt that Helix is going to sound good. Line 6 has the sounding good thing pretty much worked out. Assigning percentages to something that is as subjective as tone is a waste of time. Some swear by Variax spank 1.0 while others only swear by 2.0. To each his own. Go with your ears and make it happen. You have a great tool with the HD500, 500X FireHawk, and Helix. For me the only percentage thing that is worth spending time figuring out is whether Helix is going to be 50% easier to dial up a good tone. Are the menus 50% easier to navigate. Is it 50% more intuitive. Does it crash 50% less, is the DSP limit 50% higher (if that applies) 50% more perameter control etc.

I don't think that tone or sound quality is the question. To me the question is, will this new thing make it 50% easier for me to stay in the creative flow, 50% more inspiration because it's so damn easy to use.

We'll see.

Entertaining thread!

I made this point earlier in this thread and I think it may very well be worth restating.

I have no doubt that Helix is going to sound good. Line 6 has the sounding good thing pretty much worked out. Assigning percentages to something that is as subjective as tone is a waste of time. Some swear by Variax spank 1.0 while others only swear by 2.0. To each his own. Go with your ears and make it happen. You have a great tool with the HD500, 500X FireHawk, and Helix. For me the only percentage thing that is worth spending time figuring out is whether Helix is going to be 50% easier to dial up a good tone. Are the menus 50% easier to navigate. Is it 50% more intuitive. Does it crash 50% less, is the DSP limit 50% higher (if that applies) 50% more perameter control etc.

I don't think that tone or sound quality is the question. To me the question is, will this new thing make it 50% easier for me to stay in the creative flow, 50% more inspiration because it's so damn easy to use.

We'll see.

Does your HD500 crash I have never had mine crash.. 

Does your HD500 crash I have never had mine crash..

Not quite sure the tecchnical term would be "crash", but sometimes upon booting, the line 6 logo will blink instead of going to the patch. Requiring a reboot. I've had it stop all together in the middle of a set, requiring a reboot. The HD edit software will stop working if I use the HD expression pedal while editing via the software; requiring a reboot.

I call these incidents "crashing". It doesn't happen often, just at the most inconvenient of times! If Helix does this 50% less, then It's a win!

Point being, does anyone really think that Helix isn't going to sound good? I doubt it. (unless you are a Kemper/Fractal fan waiting for the right moment to upload the ubiquitous "I'm leaving Line 6 and going to Kemper/Fractal cause Line 6 sucks" post.)

The real meat and potatoes is; can we get what we need out of this thing quickly in an intuitive and musical way.

Again...we'll see.

Any device that's connected to a PC or Mac for editing will eventually crash (and those that are not connected will aslo due to power outages, etc etc. . I've had my HD500 crash on several occasions due to a patch getting corrupted. The good thing is that the  designers/engineers had a solution for this, you simply restart the POD while pressing the directional arrow (to the right I believe) and it was all good. Global resets procedures are there in Eleven Rack, Kemper, AXE FX  and I'm sure Helix will also have a way to reset to recover from a crash.

Not quite sure the tecchnical term would be "crash", but sometimes upon booting, the line 6 logo will blink instead of going to the patch. Requiring a reboot. I've had it stop all together in the middle of a set, requiring a reboot. The HD edit software will stop working if I use the HD expression pedal while editing via the software; requiring a reboot.

I call these incidents "crashing". It doesn't happen often, just at the most inconvenient of times! If Helix does this 50% less, then It's a win!

Point being, does anyone really think that Helix isn't going to sound good? I doubt it. (unless you are a Kemper/Fractal fan waiting for the right moment to upload the ubiquitous "I'm leaving Line 6 and going to Kemper/Fractal cause Line 6 sucks" post.)

The real meat and potatoes is; can we get what we need out of this thing quickly in an intuitive and musical way.

Again...we'll see.

Awe that sucks never had that happen to me..  actually the only problem I have had with my hd500 is every once in a while I need to take it apart and clean the foot switches..  ( just use contact cleaner and works perfectly fine afterwards...)  I think the new helix is going to sound better but not by much than the HD500..  Just for kicks I went back and watch the review videos for the HD500 and the PODxt, they always talk about improved dynamics and real amp feel.  And how each generation was miles ahead of what they had previously done.  They always roll back the volume to demonstrate how the amp model cleans up just like a real amp does..  I am hoping the helix is miles ahead of what they had previously ( I think what they have done with the user innerface is amazing, but the way it sounds after its recorded should not be that drastic)..

Awe that sucks never had that happen to me..  actually the only problem I have had with my hd500 is every once in a while I need to take it apart and clean the foot switches..  ( just use contact cleaner and works perfectly fine afterwards...)  I think the new helix is going to sound better but not by much than the HD500..  Just for kicks I went back and watch the review videos for the HD500 and the PODxt, they always talk about improved dynamics and real amp feel.  And how each generation was miles ahead of what they had previously done.  They always roll back the volume to demonstrate how the amp model cleans up just like a real amp does..  I am hoping the helix is miles ahead of what they had previously ( I think what they have done with the user innerface is amazing, but the way it sounds after its recorded should not be that drastic)..

I agree. Helix is going to sound good. How much better than the HD?... to be determined. Ease of use and DT integration is what will get my money.

How will the Helix sound? 

Depends on the user. 

If you can't get a decent sound out of the HD500, then I think it is user error. Which means you won't get a decent sound out of the Helix either. 

What do they call that --- ID: ten tee user problem

• Upvote 2

How will the Helix sound? 

Depends on the user. 

If you can't get a decent sound out of the HD500, then I think it is user error. Which means you won't get a decent sound out of the Helix either. 

What do they call that --- ID: ten tee user problem

yeah I hear you on that...    they Often have some amazing guitar players doing promos for their gear.. (first name comes to mind is Paul Hindmarsh the guy is just a phenomenal player..)  He can make any gear sound like its worth 1500 bucks..  He has actually become my favorite guitar player period.  He is so versatile in what he can play....  but thanks for the 2 cents well received...