Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

1/8 Male Mono Plug Speakers for KB37?

Hey guys! 

New to recording and just trying to figure out if I would need to buy stereo monitors or not. I have computer speakers which are not too bad (Dell AY410) which has a single 1/8 male mono plug, and was wondering if I can use them instead of buying stereo monitors? I have a 1/8 to 1/4 jack which I plug into the headphones jack on my KB37 but audio only comes out of one side of the speakers. Can I rectify this or do I have to get monitors?

Hey guys! 

New to recording and just trying to figure out if I would need to buy stereo monitors or not. I have computer speakers which are not too bad (Dell AY410) which has a single 1/8 male mono plug, and was wondering if I can use them instead of buying stereo monitors? I have a 1/8 to 1/4 jack which I plug into the headphones jack on my KB37 but audio only comes out of one side of the speakers. Can I rectify this or do I have to get monitors?

The Dell Speakers you have aren't stereo? I tried looking them up and it looks like their stereo but I might be mistaken. Try using a stereo adapter if you have one.

You'll be happier if you use a descent stereo powered speakers FRFR and run the 1/4" analog outs into them respectively. A nice set of stereo computer speakers can work good too. Sometimes I just run the headphones out into TV Speakers (Samsung).

Maybe obvious, but.. you are using a two ring stero jack, right?  Not a insturment jack.

Thanks for the reply gary! Yes! I am using two ring stereo jack. I plug that 2 ring stereo jack into a 1/4 adapter and plug it into the headphones output instead of the R/L stereo outputs.

The Dell Speakers you have aren't stereo? I tried looking them up and it looks like their stereo but I might be mistaken. Try using a stereo adapter if you have one.

You'll be happier if you use a descent stereo powered speakers FRFR and run the 1/4" analog outs into them respectively. A nice set of stereo computer speakers can work good too. Sometimes I just run the headphones out into TV Speakers (Samsung).

Thanks so much for the reply Brazzy! :) Truly appreciate it! 

Here's the link to the speakers: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/PopupProductDetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=313-7966&price=47.99

Yeh I do use a stereo adapter and plug it into the headphones out but audio only comes out one side of the speaker. Not sure why that happens. I'm thinking if this Dell AY410 mono jack can be converted to the double 1/4 stereo jacks. If not, I'll just take your advice and get some decent speakers :) I would assume stereo monitors would be better than computer speakers? :) 

Thanks again for all the help guys :)

• Upvote 1

Push the connectors together harder, (1/4" to 1/8" adapter) If they are not in all the way or are a bit bent, then you lose one of the stereo channels.

That might be it. :)

Tried that :S still no luck.. :( even if it did, I would assume the sound it produces would not be anywhere as good as stereo speakers