Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are the Soldano models HD?

barks62

I use the Soldano Crunch amp for my base tone, then kick in a distortion pedal to take me into high gain territory.  Since low gain amp and distortion pedal is my go-to metal tone, I don't have much use for the Metal Pack.  But am I missing out by not getting the Vintage pack?  I don't know much about the Vintage Pack other than some of the models are "HD"... are they modeled differently than that Soldano?  Or is it also HD?  I know it sounds pretty damn good to me, but if there is something that might make it a little better, I'm interested.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.  These packs have been out for a few months but I still feel like I'm in the dark about them.

Ya know, I got married in 1921. And I was completely happy until my friend brought his wife around. Since then, I have always wondered what I have been missing by being trapped into this commitment with this old outdated broad. 

If you are happy with what you have, why would you even care what else is available? 

Guys were using the HD500 for metal for 5 years before the model packs came around and the same with the Helix -- which isn't even out yet.

You can't tell me that all of a sudden, metal packs are available therefore your tone sucks and you must have the new stuff! 

** I know L6 wants your money, and probably hates every time I bring up common sense thinking which stops others from giving it to them. 

But my thoughts are - I bought a product I am happy with and will defend when needed to be defended and will promote when needed to be promoted. If I am constantly chasing something new, I can't honestly defend or promote. 

I put some obscene date so that everyone would know that it was just an illustration. 

I had 1919 but thought someone may think that I inverted and meant 1991. 

I am not now, nor have I ever been married. Except for a couple crazy weekends in Vegas. But they don't count. 

Anytime Elvis or Spiderman is involved -- it doesn't count. 

In fact, one of them doesn't count because I was married and lost track of her and therefore couldn't divorce her -- but got married to someone else in the mean time. 

It's Vegas. No one cares.

Ya know, I got married in 1921. And I was completely happy until my friend brought his wife around. Since then, I have always wondered what I have been missing by being trapped into this commitment with this old outdated broad. 

It's fortunate that the community of people here are mostly male. Females would probably take offense at comments like this.

It's fortunate that the community of people here are mostly male. Females would probably take offense at comments like this.

yeah they would. Which is why I often make reference to it when people are talking about needing the 'next' product. 

Gee whiz, I bet that your wife is ecstatic over the fact that you always need to have the newer shinier model with bigger gadgets to toy around with. 

I stopped building my previous rig in the early 90's and I used it for 20+ years after I bought its last component. I didn't need anything else. I didn't care that the new product came out with a 4 second sampler instead of my 2 seconds. There was not a single thing that I missed for over two decades.

I am a professional working musician. I can afford new stuff. And I, in theory, could certainly benefit professionally from having the most current advancements in musical gear. Yet, I used a Rocktron Pro GAP and two ART SGE Mach II's as my primary components (part of a much larger rack unit) until 2014 when I bought a used Line 6 Pod HD500. 

Being a metal shredder, I personally found the metal pack to be a nice supplement to the already existing high

gain amp collection in the POD HD, but I also found myself wanting the vintage pack just for the Roland JC-120

amp, to add to the fewer clean amp choices we had. All in all, I'm quite happy with what I have now, even if

Line 6 don't release another update or model pack, I feel like I'm now enjoying a full package experience.

do you remember when it came out the HD series? .. How many demos were released to demonstrate the evident leap in sound quality? ..

A friend of mine still prefers his x3 live. I'm new to this. I've been hearing that hd has a blanket on the sound and its cabs are bad. Anything else?

... but I don't expect anything mind blowing regard to the individual models...

if they were so striking, would have been already published quite a lot of audio video demos ...

do you remember when it came out the HD series? .. How many demos were released to demonstrate the evident leap in sound quality? .. many....

nico i fully agree with this.

unless we hear more sound demo vids, helix is a nice looking gadget, but sound wise no big deal :)

I agree with you.

As I told you, my friend prefers x3live. He tested pod hd for 2 weeks and said it was terrible. Honestly, I think he did not know how to setup properly, as my one other friend. The thing is by default, people get bad sound because they need to learn it. Not being plug and play does not mean bad gear. Maybe 80% of the people that dislike hd is because they did not know how to setup.

We can say we know how to set it up but all this time spent we should have spent on playing.

My friends keep saying this. And they play better than me lol. After hx, hd started sounding bad lol.

The Unknown it is much better ...so HX < HD< X3

Slo is hd, deprecated !

I wouldn't say that the HD has a blanket on the sound and its cabs are bad..

rather I think that generally the HD models have a tendency to be too rich sounding, and often the tones they deliver benefit more by cutting the excesses than by adding things..

Nico, being long time user, do you know where we can find a list of all those bad things on pod hd? Maybe L6 have it and corrected on HX modelling. As they did with IDEAS

They will never say 'we removed the blanket and replaced the bad cabs' LOL

Thanks for all your inputs

But too much choice can drive someone bonkers if not they are not mentally prepared for the work it takes to make those choices work. 

And a new tube of red paint is not quite the same as needing to take beets and mixing them with some egg to get just the right shade with just the right amount of spread-ability and dry time. 

Nico i fully agree with you, as I said.

Imho

It is all related to hardware limitation. it should be noticeable more by experts using graphics etc, sound wise, it is the dynamics or "behaviour" of the sound when playing. Hardware limitation could possibly mimic these to get close to reality.

Think about old multi fx pedals and today's, technology was the limitation right?

Or better capture sound software?

Why is podhd better than x3 live?

Thanks for the link, interesting, but I was talking sound wise.