Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What’s the difference between Helix and Helix Rack? from the FAQ's

jaminjimlp

from FAQ's

What’s the difference between Helix and Helix Rack?

Along with the Helix Control remote, Helix Rack’s workflow and feature set is virtually identical to that of Helix. Plus you get duplicate expression pedal jacks, a 1/4†analog bypass (buffered) output, AES/EBU in, and Wordclock in with terminator switch. Presets can be freely shared across both units with no file conversion required.

Is this all?!? I am just wondering if is worth the extra $500.... I don't need any of the things mentioned hear... I really want to know is this it????

I guess what I want to know is about the hardware, for example is the more processing power or more than or double dual-DSP processor architecture than the floor unit?

"Helix Rack’s workflow and feature set is virtually identical to that of Helix"..... whats not the same, this is what I want to know about so I can make a decision on whether to wait for the rack or not....

thanks in advance, Jim

They both have the same processors and processing power. Aside from the things you mentioned and the form factor, they are identical. It seems that rack units are always just more costly to manufacturer.

And the extra $500 controller does not get you an expression pedal, so you may want to factor that into the equation.

As for me, unless I really need to rack mount it or integrate it with other rack mounted units, I would consider the floor model, especially since I need a controller for live gigs.  I love the fact that the floor unit, really doesn't need anything else unless I want more.  And if I happen to need additional pedals, I will probably place everything on a pedal board making sure to keep it small and light.  This way my rig will be compact, light and cheaper than a rack mounted rig.  :D

• Upvote 1

I specifically separate tone modules from controller (POD HD + FBV Shortboard). The main reason is some gigs come with front row fans that spill drinks. The Helix Rack solution would fit my requirements, but right now, $500 just for the controller is not compatible with said drinks.

I specifically separate tone modules from controller (POD HD + FBV Shortboard). The main reason is some gigs come with front row fans that spill drinks. The Helix Rack solution would fit my requirements, but right now, $500 just for the controller is not compatible with said drinks.

this is where you need the "pro coverage" or the "gold coverage" that covers all things except being stolen,   ie: spills,drops, and random stupidity.

the rack mount would also require you to have some long cables for each fx loop that you would use with stomp boxes as wel right or dose it incorporate the connections on the foot control?

If you wanted to have the stompboxes on the floor in front of you, yes, it would require some long cables. There are four mono loops, though, so you might be better off getting a rack shelf (assuming you're mounting the Helix in an actual rack) and putting your pedals in the rack. You can just leave the pedals on all the time and control the loops with the controller. The loops actually make it really flexible. You would be able to re-order your pedals on a patch per patch basis and bring them in and out of tones as you need.

"Helix Rack’s workflow and feature set is virtually identical to that of Helix"..... whats not the same, this is what I want to know about so I can make a decision on whether to wait for the rack or not....

When coupled with Helix Control, Helix Rack's firmware differences are so minimal, it's probably not even worth mentioning, but here they are anyway:

• Input List—Additional AES/EBU item
  • Global Settings > Ins/Outs—Additional Clock Source parameter
  • Footswitch Assign and Command Center menus—No "Relabel Footswitch" button appears at Knob 6 when EXP Toe Switch is selected (as Helix Control has no dedicated LCD for an expression pedal)
  • A couple minor graphic asset swaps (product logo for splash screen, etc.)
  • Upvote 1

this is where you need the "pro coverage" or the "gold coverage" that covers all things except being stolen,   ie: spills,drops, and random stupidity.

My 'pro coverage' is actually an extra POD HD with my same tones loaded, a smaller FBV Express Mk2, and extra ethernet cable that I bring to the gigs just in case. I realize that's another expense, but it's not bad considering how portable it is compared to the pre-modeling days. 

• Upvote 1

When coupled with Helix Control, Helix Rack's firmware differences are so minimal, it's probably not even worth mentioning, but here they are anyway:

• Input List—Additional AES/EBU item
  • Global Settings > Ins/Outs—Additional Clock Source parameter
  • Footswitch Assign and Command Center menus—No "Relabel Footswitch" button appears at Knob 6 when EXP Toe Switch is selected (as Helix Control has no dedicated LCD for an expression pedal)
  • A couple minor graphic asset swaps (product logo for splash screen, etc.)

Thanks that pretty much seals the deal for me to pre-order the floor version, I am currently using an avid 11 rack (not getting rid of it) really looking forward to getting my hands (feet) on it!!! Thanks for the specifics....

My 'pro coverage' is actually an extra POD HD with my same tones loaded, a smaller FBV Express Mk2, and extra ethernet cable that I bring to the gigs just in case. I realize that's another expense, but it's not bad considering how portable it is compared to the pre-modeling days. 

you are absolutely right about a "back up rig" I was more thinking at the time I wrote it that getting a replacement in the near future.

you are absolutely right about a "back up rig" I was more thinking at the time I wrote it that getting a replacement in the near future.

True, my solution is more of a backup, didn't mean to hijack your original thread, but it is somewhat related. Thanks for clarifying.