Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 59 Tob Sunburst power problems

When I have my JTV-59 plugged into my pod hd500x using the variax cable/input the instrument keeps resetting. For example if you have the volume turned off it will reset and start to feedback or if Im in an alternative tuning it will revert to the standard.

The guitar will work with 1/4 inch guitar jack but you then loose the power and added features.

Has anyone experience this, is it the guitar, the pod (i have tried 2 new cables and it does the same thing.)?

Any advice?

• 3 weeks later...

I think ColonelForbin might be on to something there especially if your are going through with the Variax setlist that was added to the last HD500x update.  If thats not the problem I would at least try reflashing your Variax.

If the JTV59 works as expected when using the battery and connected to the HD500X, then it is most likely that when connected by VDI that the patches you are choosing and the settings on the HD500X are over riding the settings you have on the JTV59.

As Colonel Forobin and Leftzilla have both stated, you need to check that out first by looking at the settings of each patch and the global settings on the HD500X.

If the JTV59 when connected by VDI is just resetting itself, changing model settings, or alternate tunings AND you are NOT changing patches then that means there is a problem with the JTV59.  As Leftzilla suggested, first thing to do in that case is REFLASH the firmware on the JTV59 to see if that resolves the problem.  If it doesn't work the first time, it is worth trying 2 or 3 times.  If it still malfunctions then you need to raise a ticket with Line 6 support and get it booked in to be fixed by your local authorized repair centre.

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

I have been having a similar problem with -59 VDI'd into a 500X.  Except when the "model resetting glitch" briefly occurs, the is a loud crackling occurring once or twice during a rehearsal session.  I roll off volume, flip switches and knobs, jiggle the VDI, then resume playing as if nothing happened.  I had posted the "Nasty Crackle" string a couple months ago, and thought I had repaired it with a new VDI cable.  Well it's back, it seems.

Running 2.12.0 firmware in the -59.  And not forcing anything from the 500X.  I change guitar models and amp models separately and independently.  Nothing fancy.  Im still learning.

In fact I am not sure how to fore a reflash from the Workbench HD app.  Is that via the "Trasnfer/upload all to Variax" pulldown?  I have certainly read that reflash is a mystery "fix"  Can someone enlighten me.  I'll report back in a couple days after next rehearsal.

I've not ruled out a hardware problem with the -59 either.  Its 15 months old and can behave a little bitchy sometimes.

Thanks all

warcloudwells

Use Monkey to reflash.  I purchased one of the heavy duty VDI cables with the solid interfaces on both ends.  I have not run into the problem the OP and you have had.  Don't know if that is the issue but the heavy duty VDI is very worth it especially if you doing a lot of live work and want to have the patch changes change Variax patches.

OK reflashed firmware via Monkey (one time) and headed off to band practice last nite. BTW I'm using Windows10 without any issues with the L6 apps.

Still having SAME noise problems with my now-more-annoying -59.

Using the new heavy duty Bestronics VDI cable into the 500X, not forcing anything, and the crackle occurs randomly while playing, when it happens, I'm not changing models just playing or resting between tunes.  I roll off the volume pedal for a moment flip the 3-way switch, touch the VDI connector, roll on volume and she's quiet again.  I'm using custom 1 loaded with my five favorite models and the noise does not seem to be related to a model change

It seems that I'm the only one with this random crackle issue and I guess I'll open a ticket.  We have a gig on Labor Day and I need to hang on to her until then.

UPDATING....I did not perform the reflash correctly, as I allowed Monkey to upgrade only the "USB Firmware" portion.  Upon deeper reading the support pages, I learned that I had not reflashed the "Flash Memory" portion.  The L6 support instructions are not totally clear (to us rookies) on what a "complete" reflash actually is - a minor quibble on my part.  Now I know that I had never affected the "Flash Memory" since I got this guitar 15 months ago. It was sitting at V2.00 and now, finally, I've got it up to the current V2.21.

My second minor quibble, although a bit more direct, is:  ALTHOUGH I HAVE CONNECTECTED TO WORBENCH HD WITH MY -59 MANY TIMES, IT HAS NEVER INFORMED ME THAT MY FLASH MEMORY WAS NOT CURRENT.  We are all supposed to be trained IT engineers?  Why can't Workbench announce this?

Hey, I admire all you guitar scientists that have it all figured out, but I'll also remind that some of us came out the groovy analog world after decades of playing. Whoa I'm moving from "quarter-quarter" to ethernet guitar cables...maybe too fast.  Nah, just kidding.  I love the sound of this guitar, and the "one-guitar" convenience.  I am having occasional nasty crackle noise problems,  And will report back after this Wed Nite rehearsal.

Thanks all,

warcloudwells specs following: [Monkey 1.7.1, JTV-59, USB Firmware 1.03, Flash Memory 2.21, Workbench 2.12, often confused]

Edited by warcloudwells

So last nite I plug in thru VDI to 500X and out to FRFR room amp.  Standing motionless, the JTV-59 erupts in a NASTY CRACKLE (previous string title) that is nicely (kidding) framed by the amp model's plate reverb.  Really horrible.

Switch to 1/4-1/4 and internal power and the rest of the rehearsal is OK.

There is something really WRONG WITH THIS GUITAR.

Just tried to open a ticket, and seemed to hit a firewall of resistance....How do you open a service ticket?  Can one of those charming gurus please contact me?  This JTV is going into the closet, and the LP standard and Acoustic are going to my next gig with me. Tired now.

warcloudwells

To Open a Support ticket do the following:

Sign in to your Line 6 account on the Line 6 website

Click on SUPPORT link

Click on ACCOUNT SERVICES link

Click on MY ACCOUNT

On left side of screen under the SUPPORT title click on "Support Tickets"

On Support Ticket screen directly under title is a link which reads "Open New Ticket" - click this link

If that fails then go to the CONTACT US screen and call them directly - you will get a quicker response if you call directly.

Good luck.