Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix recording options with iPad

Guitarzan

Since we have time to talk about such things, I thought I'd start a thread on recording with Helix and the iPad. 

What are the options? Assume a couple of scenarios:

• Using Helix for amps/effects and sending wet signal to iPad with recording app
  • Using Helix for dry signal sent to amp/effect app in iPad, then recorded on the iPad

Assume a variety of existing connections, let's go with these options:

Apogee Jam

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam

(Or Sonic Port) http://line6.com/interfaces/#sonicport

Apple camera connector

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD821AM/A/lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter

Focusrite iTrack Dock

http://us.focusrite.com/ios-audio-interfaces/itrack-dock#

What would be the best Helix outputs/cables for each of these digital interfaces with the iPad? What are the possibilities?

Feel free to also offer up your own scenarios currently with HD Pods as part of this. Midi is optional, I'm not sure I know what to do with it.

Thanks!

Your cheapest and simplest solution is the Apple camera connection kit and a USB cable to Helix.

I think it does both of your use cases, but breaks down if you need to record other sources in parallel (multi-track recording).

In the latter case I would go with an audio interface that provides digital IO and connect Helix that way (and other sources with whatever the source and audio interface provides).

Your cheapest and simplest solution is the Apple camera connection kit and a USB cable to Helix.

I think it does both of your use cases, but breaks down if you need to record other sources in parallel (multi-track recording).

In the latter case I would go with an audio interface that provides digital IO and connect Helix that way (and other sources with whatever the source and audio interface provides).

OK, and I guess the iTrack Dock above would be a good "parallel solution" as it has USB midi input too? So Helix USB out to iTrack (or Apple CCK) USB in? Can I assume the "USB Midi" on the iTrack will work with that setup? 

What would be the ideal analog output from Helix if I didn't use the USB midi output, assuming I'm using either the iTrack Dock or Apogee Jam/Sonic Port?

simple-sleek-1.jpg

I neither have iTrack Dock nor Apogee Jam, but it looks like you'd have to use line level outputs from Helix to get analog signals into your audio capture interfaces. Not sure what you would gain given that those interfaces do not seem to have more than 1 or 2 analog inputs, unless you'd want to record 2 mono sources (1 from Helix) at the same time.

I neither have iTrack Dock nor Apogee Jam, but it looks like you'd have to use line level outputs from Helix to get analog signals into your audio capture interfaces. Not sure what you would gain given that those interfaces do not seem to have more than 1 or 2 analog inputs, unless you'd want to record 2 mono sources (1 from Helix) at the same time.

Well with the iTrack Dock, it essentially has

1) a usb midi interface that would accept Helix USB out, 

2) analog input from Helix analog out,

3) direct guitar input (because it has a 24 bit 96khz A/D converter, essentially an Apogee Jam, but integrated), 

4) phantom powered microphone direct input

5) direct monitoring of input signals

6) independent headphone volume

etc.

So basically the convenience to swap and/or use all of those inputs without ever touching the iPad lightening connector.

If the Helix is designed with true USB Class Compliance, it's rear MIDI I/O connection and 8 inputs & eight 24 bit Audio Inputs & Outputs should all appear as available connections to iPad/ iPhone IOS Apps, using only USB Cable and Apple USB Camera Adapter.

That's how all my other USB Class Compliant Gear works.

• 11 months later...

I have an Alesis IO Dock, basically similar function as the above dock. Its great for integrating the ipad into sound systems, or for plugging my guitar directly into ipad(not using Helix) But for recording, i use USB camera kit into MulitTrack DAW.

MulitTrack is simple and can record usb 1/2 and usb 7 for reamping purposes if needed. You get a perfect 24 bit recording without the 2 extra DA/AD conversions.

Beacause it uses just the usb connection, it allows me to bring the ipad to rehearsals/gigs and record my parts without any additional connections or integrations to the sound system, PA, FOH, monitors, etc.

I tried using the Helix USB out to the itrack dock's USB in and only received a series of clicks, no signal. So, I resorted to the 1/4" outs to the dock. Am I missing something here?

make sure you have latest ios version. I got clicks/pops prior to version 9.3.1. Now on 9.3.2 and it works great. (ipad 3)

Edit: oops misread your quote. The dock usb is midi only, no audio signal.

Wow!  I was getting pops and clicks on the itrack dock with an earlier ios before upgrading to 9.3.1.  The upgrade solved that problem.  Have you recorded from the Helix straight into the USB/Midi in on the itrack dock?

I've tried numerous docks with iPads for audio and MIDI. Apple's new  "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" is definitely the way to go. It cheap, small, light, works flawlessly with the Helix, and you can charge your iPad while you use it. Look on Apple's website to see what iPad's its compatible with first.

I've also used it with GarageBand and Cubasis. I don't care for Garageband for multitrack recording, but Cubasis works great.

I've tried numerous docks with iPads for audio and MIDI. Apple's new  "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" is definitely the way to go. It cheap, small, light, works flawlessly with the Helix, and you can charge your iPad while you use it. Look on Apple's website to see what iPad's its compatible with first.

I've also used it with GarageBand and Cubasis. I don't care for Garageband for multitrack recording, but Cubasis works great.

Are the recording options Helix exclusive or would the POD HD500x work too, connected via the Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter?

I'm absolutely unsure about the possibilities and specifications of the PODs USB-port :/

• 4 months later...

Hi, can someone give me some newbie advice??? I've got my Helix set up with a camera connector kit to record into my ipad air 2 with the newest ios and updates however the Garageband app is not recognizing it as a guitar input. It works fine with other apps such as Loopy. Any thoughts on how to get the Garageband app to see my signal? I've tried changing the input sources within the app itself and nothing seems to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, can someone give me some newbie advice??? I've got my Helix set up with a camera connector kit to record into my ipad air 2 with the newest ios and updates however the Garageband app is not recognizing it as a guitar input. It works fine with other apps such as Loopy. Any thoughts on how to get the Garageband app to see my signal? I've tried changing the input sources within the app itself and nothing seems to work.

Jshimshoski

Nope. I'll check it out online. The iRig serves my purposes pretty ok at present, but was hoping-since I read in various places-that the camera connector would work but maybe I was not using the correct Settings etc.