Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 instead of my tube amp is not delivering

Hi all,

Have the pod hd500x, jtv-69 and en Engl Gigmaster 30 combo.

Hooked my pod into the effects return of the Engl en set the pod output to pwr amp combo.

So far I was almost happy with the sound I was getting. Strainght into the engl it all sounds good. But hey, you want flexibility so the pod was put in between.

Thought that the DT25 as a replacement for my gigmaster would make sure that I was going to be happy with the sound.

Tested yesterday evening in the band and it doesn't come close to the gigmaster.

Tried several patches, not the sound I was looking for. Even resetted the DT25 to factory settings to get it better. No luck. Has new JJ tubes in it

Is what I want that difficult?

No. I just want what almost everybody else is having:

patch 1: fenderish clean (stratocaster 2) like dire straits

patch 2: light crunch/blues (telecaster 1) - edgy blues, little distortion. Most Nashville bluesy sound

patch 3; crunch (gibson 1) - led zeppelin, ac/dc the simple 70's rocksound

patch 4: lead (gibson 1) - lost of distortion and compressing/delay

I use only pre amps except for patch 1

no cabs/mic simulation

tried numerous patches from customtone

Is here somebody with the same rig and using the patches as I desribed? There must be somebody out there.....Can you sent them to me: paulvdhagen@gmail.com

I would be very gratefull!!!

I don't have patches that I know will work for you. What I can say is in my experience with the POD units starting with the XT thought the versions to the HD500x and a dream rig is they are sensitive to the amp and even guitar you hooking to the them. So patches that where made hooked tot he Gigmaster would likely not work as well on anything else.  I keep separate patches for my DT25 than I do for using the POD direct or even recording direct.  

As for customtone I've had the same experience, often what is upload just don't seem to work for my rig or the way I play.  I do find Customtone as been a great way to learn tricks thought. I've download some patches where, they really did not work for me but the author would add an effect in a way I never thought of. So I modify the patch or more likely create a new one but use the effect in a similar manner, acheving the one part of the patch I might have really like but dialing the rest more out to fit me and my rig better.

Providing nothing is physically wrong with your DT25, you should have no problems whatsoever getting the tones you mentioned.  Some of the patches in the Variax setlist that came with the latest HD500X firmware should get you there with minimal tweaking.

Is here somebody with the same rig and using the patches as I desribed? There must be somebody out there.....Can you sent them to me: paulvdhagen@gmail.com

I would be very gratefull!!!

Unfortunately, a drag-and-drop solution for your difficulties does not exist. We've all been there...well, most of us anyway (though some Tone Masters will deny it). What works for me won't necessarily work for you, as you've already found out from trying a bunch of stuff from Customtone. You're not likely to have any better results by directly soliciting patches that someone else created with their guitar, their rig, etc etc. Too many variables. You just have to poke at everything until you find the right settings that work for you. Maybe the DT just isn't for you, it happens.

The one thing I can suggest is to try out the full amp models with mic and cab sims, in Studio Direct mode...there are those who will tell you that this is the "wrong" way to set things up when using the DT amps, but if the tones you are currently getting are not to your liking, then you have nothing to lose. Before I went FRFR, I ran into a Carvin TS100 tube power amp and a Marshall 4x12. Using only pre-amp models with no mic or cab sims did not work for me. I got nothing but buzz-saw harshness, no matter what sound I was looking for. After much frustration and assorted profanity, I tried the full models in studio direct mode. Problem solved. There is no "wrong way". If it sounds good, it is good. Who cares how you get there?

thanks cruisinon2,

I will try that.

and I agree with the huge amount of variables. I prefer one good spank or lester model instead of a model that can have 1.000 settings or more with ohms, other pickups and so on. Want less but better.

I plugged my Ibanez premium guitar straight into my engl gigmaster. Instant tone what I want.

Thinking of selling my jtv, pod hd500x and dt25. Little bit tired of dialing and trying.

But I will try your suggestion. U never know, maybe it will be the earopener for me and will me bring back in the game. Thanx a lot!

thanks cruisinon2,

I will try that.

and I agree with the huge amount of variables. I prefer one good spank or lester model instead of a model that can have 1.000 settings or more with ohms, other pickups and so on. Want less but better.

I plugged my Ibanez premium guitar straight into my engl gigmaster. Instant tone what I want.

Thinking of selling my jtv, pod hd500x and dt25. Little bit tired of dialing and trying.

But I will try your suggestion. U never know, maybe it will be the earopener for me and will me bring back in the game. Thanx a lot

If you haven't already, try different amp models too...sometimes one that you never thought you'd like, might turn out to be your favorite. Happened to me with the Bogner Shiva when models packs were released a few months ago. You never know...

• 2 months later...

I use the HD500X into a DT50 and have fenderish clean, a louder, almost breaking up clean sound, an AC/DC overdrive and a fully saturated, overdriven scooped mids Modern sound. I use dual amps, cabs mics, depending on the channel I play with the Class and the I, II, III or IV setting as well as pentode or triode. I use the Mesa models (treadplate?) for the fully saturated, the Marshall for the AC/DC, I believe another Marshall for the 2nd channel and the clean is a Blackface or Twin model (I forget the name). I seem to have volume issues with the clean channel. I will play it at home, think it's plenty loud enough then it's almost non-existent at the gig. Adjust it up (sounds too loud), get to the gig and it's still not loud enough. Started just backing off in my overdriven modes. Will play with it when I have time but to answer your question it is possible to get those sounds, they do sound good enough, are they 4 or 6 6L6's and 5-7 or 9 12AX7's...NO, but will they fool the drunk guy who thinks you're Yngwie....yes. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Are you tried using the DTLink cable between the DT amp and Pod HD500?

That will configure the internals of the DT amp to match the pre-amp settings in the HD500.

Otherwise you are relying on a "general" front panel setting on the DT amp and just going into the front of it.

You'll get much more dynamic amp modeling when you use the DTLink.